HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:35 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
Discussion
H3-2D 3rd-Axis Upgrade Kit *** Developer and Owner's thread ***

We have finally released the new 3rd-Axis upgrade kit for DJI's H3-2D 2-axis gimbal. This comes as a complete plug'n play unit, fully assembled, setup and tuned. Two different mounting kit options are provided, one for the Phantom 1, the Phantom 2, F450 and the F550, and a second kit that will work with any S800-style setup that has two 12mm tube rails, spaced 155mm apart.

The upgrade kit includes a very low-profile pan motor that adds only 23mm of total height to an H3-2D. This easily allows the combo to fit under the 130mm height of the DJI Flamewheel plastic legs, used on the F450 and the F550. A 23mm leg extension kit is provided for the Phantom options.

The "follow" mode function is enabled on the pan axis controller, which is preset for ultra smooth pans, without the legs coming into view if the "Wide" FOV is selected on the camera. As you can see in the video below, this allows for super smooth pans, now, and none of the back and forth "wandering" that usually happens in forward flight.

Total weight, for the PH1/PH2/F450/F550 version is 113g, and room on the center plate is provided to allow the addition of an iOSD mini and a 5.8GHz vTx. The S800 version weighs just slightly less.

In the test video below, I tried to have the worst-case conditions I could, which is using the H3B in the 2.7k/30p recording mode, without the benefit of an ND filter, on a very bright sunny day with some slight breezes/wind gusts. I did a lot of the flying almost directly into the sun, with the tilt fully up so that the props chopped up the video somewhat. Even with all that, there was no jello and almost zero unwanted movement. The combination of the four special silicon isolator grommets used to isolate the pan axis from the Phantom's body, and the four rubber balls that are already on the H3-2D, did the trick.

Phantom 2 H3-2D AG-3X Test-03 (4 min 29 sec)

There will be full set of illustrated mounting instructions available shortly, but it is pretty straightforward. I'll also post some more pics, with installation on the other platforms in the next couple days.

These are available now at our TPpacks.com site, but please allow a few days for assembly, setup/tuning and test, prior to shipping.

More later...

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:36 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
*** reserved ***
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:54 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Very Cool. If DJI does not come out with a unit like this, you guys are going to be swimming in orders.
ajafar is offline Find More Posts by ajafar
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Impressive guys! Nice job.
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:45 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,366 Posts
Very nice Gary!
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:27 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,367 Posts
That looks very nice Gary. I need to come over to your place soon. How about if I bring my MQ9 Reaper with me...

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2012
648 Posts
Nice! Finally someone comes out with one
Mrtarango32 is offline Find More Posts by Mrtarango32
Old Dec 31, 2013, 01:02 AM
hiphopapotamus
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2013
88 Posts
Very nice Gary. I don't think it was clear on whether or not this worked with the new modified H3-2D that comes with the P2. I'm assuming it works but can you clarify?
wraptor is offline Find More Posts by wraptor
Old Dec 31, 2013, 01:47 AM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,855 Posts
Mine been flying for a week. Yaw is awesome but can't get rid of the roll drift on the zenmuse
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old Dec 31, 2013, 01:56 AM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askyvision View Post
Mine been flying for a week. Yaw is awesome but can't get rid of the roll drift on the zenmuse
that is odd
most guys do not have any roll drift on a Zenmuse
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old Dec 31, 2013, 02:08 AM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toslope View Post
that is odd
most guys do not have any roll drift on a Zenmuse
Yeah I like to slap myself too. Reason I got the zen is because of the headache setup and drift from other gimbal but it the same problem. I was on 1.2 firmware and then now 1.6 still happen
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:21 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Mar 2010
29 Posts
Great job Gary! Is there anyway to water proof these exposed boards as I will be flying near the ocean alot.
24pfilms is offline Find More Posts by 24pfilms
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:52 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24pfilms View Post
Great job Gary! Is there anyway to water proof these exposed boards as I will be flying near the ocean alot.
You could spray an electric epoxy coating. Just be careful to cover up any of the pins or any other area you want to still have contact. I also believe people make cases but you will have to be concerned about weight.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:21 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24pfilms View Post
The boards usually have a conformal coating on them, that will make them "splash" resistant, but I'm not sure about making it waterproof. None of the rest of the electronics, like the iOSD mini, or the vTx, are waterproof. Neither are the rest of the Phantom's electronics. I'm guessing, however, that you aren't talking about surviving a fall into the ocean, but are more worried about occasional sea spray. For that, there probably some things you could do to better protect all the electronics. I have used the Plastidip spray to coat the connections and box openings before, and that comes about as close as you can to waterproofing. You could add a 3D-printed case, such as this one, to also provide an extra layer of splash protection.

-- Gary
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,558 Posts
So that's the RCTimer 2804?

Looks nice and slim, but how are you finding the torque? Does it handle gusty winds OK?
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan