Owner of many, master of none!
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Discussion
RC Air Swimmers Nemo Inflatable

Anyone here have one of these?

Nemo RC Inflatable

I decided to order one using coupon code 36BGC8 making it less than $14 or so with free delivery. The video looks pretty neat, but I wonder how well it flies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=USIe6VnGxBQ
AlphaZetaCharlie is offline Find More Posts by AlphaZetaCharlie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 09:19 AM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,838 Posts
Best to say they are cute and they do work. I have both Nimo and the Shark. Shark is still in the box after two years. Grandkids played with Nimo for a while until the new wore off. I probably flew it a dozen times around the house and at a local gym. Flies by moving the gondola fore/aft on a taped on rail on belly. Propulsion is by fanning the tail back and forth by depressing a rocker switch back and forth. How well it flies depends on your coordination. Range is limited due to being an IR unit. Like I said its cute and for 14 bucks probably worth the price. Helium will cost you more than the price of the fish. ed
Ed Couch is online now Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:49 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
I've actually got a big 5 foot tank of helium at work that I use for balloons for kids so that's not a problem. It was like about $85 for the tank rental and about $120 for the helium (IIRC it's been a while), and it's lasted about 4 years so far. I've also bought those little tanks at Toys R Us for party balloons, but those run out really quickly.

After doing a bit more searching here, I see that a few other people have tried these out. I've got a 6 year old who'll love this I think as she also has little fish in a tank that she takes care of. The shark looks pretty neat too, but the nemo one was a bit cheaper to try out.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Erm.. I have 2 of these . Honestly? Don't bother.
Helium is hard to get at least in anything that isn't so watered down as to be near useless .
These things work sort of but IMO they are lame.
Giving only a few mins, maybe a half hour's novelty entertainment value, then it's over.
A 1 line joke equivalent; great the first time. not so much the second.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
I finally got my Air Swimmer nemo fish, got it assembled, and talk about disappointment! I think you're right about the watered down helium as even though I filled the fish up quite full, it won't float with the tail attached. My tank does latex balloons just fine, but they only last about a day then drop to the ground.

I wonder if there's a way to get higher concentration helium somewhere. Oh well, I guess I got a $12 non-floating mylar balloon in the end.

I wonder if BG ran into copyright issues as I noticed that the box doesn't say "Air Swimmer" anywhere on it so it could be a knock off? They've also removed it from their website.

EDIT: I ended up taping a few latex balloons to Nemo to give it some much needed lift, and hey it works! It didn't last too long though unfortunately. I might have to look into getting some "Ultra High Float" to make my balloons last longer.
Last edited by AlphaZetaCharlie; Apr 27, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:43 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,838 Posts
The best thing to do with these things is convert them to RC! Not overly hard.

I took the shark cuz it seems to have a bigger bag. I used the pink little party balloon helium tanks the first time and had no issues with lift. Now I use "ultra lift" and need to add ballast (we fly a blimp for a sports team so I have easy access to the good stuff).

Best part about adding a motor is you don't need or want too much buoyancy - it flys on the props better if not too floaty.

Gear is nothing special.
3gram BL motor from Hobby King on 2S spinning ASQ1 props
TB6 ESC - 6 grams
Futaba micro 4ch 2.4 rx - 6 grams
1 - 4 gram servo for motor tilt
1 - 7 gram servo for the tail.
E-flite 200mah 2S pack
Little bit of foam and wood - all told 1.3 ozs of stuff on the belly plus the servo on the tail.

I've only flown indoors so far and can't really get past 3 clicks of throttle

If you want more info I'll post it and I have video of it somewhere....
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:03 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,838 Posts
MVI 0303 (0 min 44 sec)

Teaser
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:31 AM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
952 Posts
I think they are fun
AnthonysQuad is online now Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:37 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Good on you!
It's faster with a prop. Bobs a lot tho. Flapping tail was the best part IMO.
Beyond the fun of fooling with it's motive power, it's not seeming as any more exciting that the oem version IMO..
Too much like watching paint dry
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare