Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,657 Posts
We camped all this week at a lake a few hours from my home. I brought this plane along with a few others. No issues at all. Tons of fun to do touch and goes with. Seemed I had an audience every time I flew it. It's begging for lights. Going to get that done before we go back in August.

I have noticed that it seems a little twitchy with the ailerons. I think it may be the mass from the floats? I have the control surfaces set at the recommended factory settings. Well, except the elevator of course. Got to love that crazy flipping! I set the expo at 20% on high and 10% on low. I wonder if it would benefit from a little stabilization on the ailerons?
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:08 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
The Turnigy set is what I used. yes I just cut a slit and tucked the wires down into it and taped over it.

The Turnigy LEDs are very bright from the front, so I sanded the sides of the LEDs to allow more wasted light to be visible.

Jim
Do you have any close up pic's of your LED install? I was sizing it up last night, and wondering how to route the wires, out to the tips. Seeing how the tips are beveled out on a 45. Did you use those little plactic mounts that came with the kit? Thanks for the tip on sanding the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
We camped all this week at a lake a few hours from my home. I brought this plane along with a few others. No issues at all. Tons of fun to do touch and goes with. Seemed I had an audience every time I flew it. It's begging for lights. Going to get that done before we go back in August.

[COLOR="rgb(72, 61, 139)"]I have noticed that it seems a little twitchy with the ailerons. I think it may be the mass from the floats? I have the control surfaces set at the recommended factory settings. Well, except the elevator of course. Got to love that crazy flipping! I set the expo at 20% on high and 10% on low. I wonder if it would benefit from a little stabilization on the ailerons?
Cool, i've got the HK LED kit sitting on the table waiting to be installed. I was also thinking about the Orange 3 Axis Gyro V2 from HK. I have one in something that i was planning on taking out of.

Hmmm Might try it.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jul 14, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,615 Posts
Took these this morning with my new Mobius camera taped to the nose of my Tidewater. They make a great combo for RC AP from water.

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:36 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Got the Hk LED kit installed last night. Looks awesome. Now for the wind to drop out

FlyZone Tidewater LED install part 1 (5 min 30 sec)

FlyZone Tidewater LED install part 2 (5 min 57 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Got the Hk LED kit installed last night. Looks awesome. Now for the wind to drop out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWq5hAxcPPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY7fdMXLTNM
Nice work, should look good in the air at dusk.

Jim
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:39 AM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
310 Posts
Well I maidened my stock Tidewater a coupled weeks ago and I can second what everybody had said, it flies GREAT. Takeoffs and landings are so nice and simple, at least in calm winds, and water handling is great too. The water rudder works really well. I got some hat-cam video of my maiden flight, lots of fun. I have 12 flights on her so far and I love it.

The only mod I made was to the mounting of the water rudder. I read the complaints of many people ripping the rudder hinge when the water rudder hits things, so I permanently removed the front mounting screw to allow the rudder to pivot backwards when it strikes something. I had to grind away some of the rudder plastic around the back hole to allow it to pivot too. Then I just keep the one rear mounting screw snug and the rudder stays put. I have done many touch and goes with no problems, and it still cuts through sea grass without moving. It has only pivoted once, which I think was from when I hit a small stick.

This video is kinda long, my whole maiden flight, but there are two takeoffs & landings and a few touch n goes as well
Flyzone Tidewater RC seaplane maiden flight (7 min 38 sec)
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:34 AM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,543 Posts
My rudder hinge tore on one of the many flights I have gas on it. I ended up replacing it with gp hinges and they work well!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:19 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That's a great video It was good to watch the reflection of the plane in the water when the plane itself went out of shot. Makes me want one even more now but my hobby funds just took a big hit so I don't know if I can afford one even if they do ever come in stock over here
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:13 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Finally got out today. Man im loving this plane.
FlyZone Tidewater Maiden (5 min 8 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
I am considering picking one of these up and rigging it for fpv. I did a polaris ultra fpv rig with a cam built into the nose which i loved. Decisions...
faber is online now Find More Posts by faber
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Got one! Got it put together in about 20 minutes. I love the layout of this plane! The compartments are cavernous and the airframe lends itself well to the installation of fpv gear. I really appreciate how far above the waterline the control rod for the rudder is. I cant wait to get this plane rigged and flying!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Finally got out today. Man im loving this plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcprZZQ0VhI
The lights came out pretty good!

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faber View Post
Got one! Got it put together in about 20 minutes. I love the layout of this plane! The compartments are cavernous and the airframe lends itself well to the installation of fpv gear. I really appreciate how far above the waterline the control rod for the rudder is. I cant wait to get this plane rigged and flying!
I'll be interested in how your FPV project works out. FPV from water has got to be way cool.

How much does your FPV gear weigh? I taped one of the new Mobius cameras out on the very nose of mine, it weighs 41 grams, and the plane flew the same as without it.

It is a very forgiving airframe.

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
The wind dropped out this evening, i was at work. Had a 1.5hr break. Benefits of working for a airline
Headed to my fav little pond(5min drive) Water was dead calm. What a blast i had as the sun set. Im still thinking of trying to add a vent hole in and out. But with out allowing a lot of water in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Nov 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I'll be interested in how your FPV project works out. FPV from water has got to be way cool.

How much does your FPV gear weigh? I taped one of the new Mobius cameras out on the very nose of mine, it weighs 41 grams, and the plane flew the same as without it.

It is a very forgiving airframe.

Jim
Fpv from water is awesome. We go boating pretty often, and it is so cool to fly above the boat as we cruise down the lake. The fpv gear is not all that heavy. I will likely rig this with a board camera, and a 200mw 5.8 ghz video transmitter. The transmitter weighs about as mucb as your cam. And the cam is probably the same. I will also mount an 808 #16 keychain cam for some video. From the looks of it this airframe should haul that gear with no trouble at all.