HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:17 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
how many flights do you average per plane?

i was just wondering, i know some people rack up hundreds of flights on their planes. how do you not get bored of it?

i think for me i usually get 8(?) flights per plane before my cockiness takes over and i decided to do something stupid and i crash it and decide not to repair it.

OR SOMETIMES i take them out of service because i want to use the parts to make another plane, im a depron scratch builder. no plans. and im on a tight budget.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Last edited by derpron; Feb 17, 2013 at 06:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:47 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
My EasyStar II has 6 or 8 flights a week since August. Crashed and repaired many times. I've gone from Never Flown to FPV with nearly 2 mile range. It just gets better!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:50 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
My EasyStar II has 6 or 8 flights a week since August. Crashed and repaired many times. I've gone from Never Flown to FPV with nearly 2 mile range. It just gets better!
wow nice, 6-8 flights a week, i wish i could say that. i have to get my parents to drive me to the park and....lets just say they never want to do that.

or i could walk to the park which is 95% of the time going to be occupied by cricketers and it takes me about 10 minutes to get there.
Last edited by derpron; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:00 AM
United States, WA, Sequim
Joined Apr 2002
65 Posts
I get about a half if I'm lucky LOL
k_ogre is offline Find More Posts by k_ogre
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:05 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ogre View Post
I get about a half if I'm lucky LOL
hehe
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:52 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
509 Posts
Much depends on the model and where it can be flown.

For example, I can only fly my bigger models at our club field. It's only 10min drive away but the car has to be packed with the planes, along with all the gear to fly them. And, once there, they have to be made flight ready. Then, you have to consider that you're not the only one wanting to fly. Hence, the bigger models tend not to accumulate too many flights quickly. I think my Fun Cub (now sold) has the most recorded flights at 54,

On the other hand, I have 2 small EPP models (24" / 32") that can be flown in a small field 2 minutes walk from my house. Thus, it's very convenient to just grab the planes and go out to fly them. Currently the 32" has 92 flights on it and the 24" 182 flights.

Re not getting bored with a particular plane. Yes, it happens to me too. But, all my models are very different and have different flying characteristics. Which ones I fly at any particular time depends on my mood.

At the moment, I'm returning to my gliders after a spell of about 6 months flying mostly sport models.

Variety is the key for me.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:43 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
878 Posts
I've got a Telemaster with 100's of flights, but then the 6-7 planes ive had that went in on the maiden really hurt the curve.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,885 Posts
My Lazy Bee has 1003 since December 1997.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,548 Posts
I always take about half a dozen planes out to the field in the van. I like the variety too. Most used and the first to come out is the 6 yr. old Hacker Zoombi. Thing is, to get a plane that is much more capable than you are. You'll never get tired of it as you never get to push it past the limits. Many times it gets broke trying to to do just that. This Zoombi started out on the DX7 with about 35 hrs (not flights) on it "till I got the DX8 which now hs 59+ hrs on it. Just put it into the Orange T Six trans. from HK with a couple of hrs on it. This plane has been modded with a flying stab for tighter maneuvers and a booster tab on the rudder for tighter knifedge loops. The paint was completely worn off the leading edge of the wings, just from airflow. The green paint I just put on it was not quite a match The fuse has been broken it two more times than I can keep track of. Now has HK orange Gyro in it for more experimenting. I still fly many planes when I go out to the field but this is at the top of the list
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:05 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
i was just wondering, i know some people rack up hundreds of flights on their planes. how do you not get bored of it?

i think for me i usually get 8(?) flights per plane before my cockiness takes over and i decided to do something stupid and i crash it and decide not to repair it.
8 flights?
Really?

I get 1000 to 2000 flights out of mine.
They're old school balsa and wood planes covered with film... either scratch or from a kit.

8?

I don't get bored with planes that fly nearly perfectly.
The planes fly better than I do so I am constantly upping my skillset to match thwe potential of the model.

8 flights?
That's all?
You have it mastered and fine tuned and at the verge of its capability in 8 flights?

Takes me 8 flights to get the differential set right.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:41 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post

You are a fine, upstanding consumer who will help your country's (or, more like, China's) economy along just fine. Keep banging those planes into the ground as that appears to satisfy your tastes.

Though perhaps 'taste' is the wrong term here.

The likes of Ben and I are ruining both the hobby and the economy. I had a Sig Four Star 40 for 11 years - no idea how many flights, but 'a lot' springs to mind. My present Lazy Bee is a mere five years old, though it hasn't flown a lot in the last couple of years due to reasons you don't really want to know about. I think the Four Star was pretty well sorted, though the Lazy Bee has some corners of its flight envelope that need working on.

If I get bored, I just design and build another different model. For some reason, that I've been told to buy a new readymade model is just not good enough reason to show up at the field with something that's identical to the rest of the contents of several shipping containers.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
when it is warm enough and wind is calm enough. at least try to fly a couple of different planes every day.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I've got a Skeeter with a few hundred flights on it. Between my three EasyStars and several Formosas, another few hundred flights. Another handful of planes with "at least" 100 flights each. Only been in the hobby four years or so, so no planes with 1000 flights yet. I used to fly almost every day when I started RC flying -- but I had better access then (to flying areas) and more ambition. Last couple of years the fleet has held at around 30 planes, and I make a point of flying them all... No hangar queens allowed. A good week of flying has me putting in maybe ten hours at the club field over the two weekend days, maybe thirty flights total. Used to fly year-round as well, but winter's been ugly this year, for flyin'.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Last edited by rafe_b; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:02 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,836 Posts
Thinking back, I don't think I've ever lost a plane due to stupidity... damaged yes, but all the times I've "put a plane in" it was from circumstances beyond my control. I sell planes when I get bored.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,751 Posts
I have 4 planes that all have 100+ flights on them and another 10 that have only a few. I fly them until I can't repair them anymore and if I like the plane, I replace it with another of the same. I try to keep the count to 15 at the most. I don't have a lot of storage room.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69