Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,598 Posts
Discussion
Walk-era and Beyond

Here we go again. Another thread dedicated to careing and sharing.

Alot of guys/gals have 'cut their teeth' or started this rc heli addiction on a walkera product. I must admit that my walkera 'era' has been a sweet and sour experience. Its had its ups and downs, but I will always cherish those days of learning, and hold on to the products that i now love.

Walkera was like the 'gateway drug' that got me hooked on this hobby. Yeah, the quality is not always the best, and the designs had some flaws, but if it was not for the affordability of the walkera products, i would not have been this far into the hobby.

As i have grown, i have been posting threads about the walkera projects that i have been working on. The V400D02 thread, started two years ago, was my heli journal. I found i was not alone in my quest, and along the way i made many friends. That soon broke out to a Walkera V clone thread, and now that we are moveing on to bigger and better (more expensive) things, its time for the new thread. Welcome to the last thread related to walkera that i will post.

The Walk-era and Beyond

Feel free to share, and ask away. The only limitation being that you must have a walkera rx/tx that you are using to control you craft. Notice that i did not say heli. That means planes, quads, boats, cars, bathroom door, as long as it is controlled by a walkera tx (devo or pro), you are good here. Even if you want to compare or share an experience with another controller that you think might be benificial to us walkera fliers, let us know.

Have fun, and always remember - Dont crash (unless its some kind of walkera electronic failure)
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,472 Posts
I have several Walkrea produts from Ladtbird's to V400D02. All Devo TX except V100D01 with 2403 TX. I have two C/P Walkrea's but have not flown them yet. So far pretty happy with them and flown most with good results. I plan on getting a Master C/P and a Horten. Master C/P seems to have same problem with servos as V400DO2 and will change them when needed. Horten will most likely be next Quad as I like brushless. No battles at this point.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:36 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,598 Posts
Im gunna start by bragging about my 2801pro tx. I got one to upgrade my V400D02, and for $160 it feels better than the more expensive ds6i. I've also read alot of stories of how it out performs alot of the spectrum transmitters as well. The 2801 pro tx/rx is a walkera success story. If is was not for the touch screen, and telemetry, i would be happy with just the 2801 system. But walkera had to go and put out the crazy affordable devo line, and now i'm thinking 'when is the right time to invest in the crossover'. Walkera pushes out so many new products, in such a short time, it pretty much explains why the quality control is lacking. The public becomes the beta testers. Thats why i wait.

The V400D02 is/was the best beginners cp when it was introduced a couple years ago. $150 RTF fbl 6ch 400 sized heli, amazing. That thing taught me sooo much about rc helis, good and bad. Not only how to fly, but also how to fix and mod. I might be sentementily biased, but i will always have one in my collection. I still have one 'new in box' sitting in my closet. Now they have the 'master cp'. It looks like a blade 400 style frame, that i'm not a fan of. The V400 frame layout is very similar to these big high end 3D machines that are becoming more popular, trex 600/700pro, logo's, ect... With the battery flat at the bottom of the frame, and motor upside down. I dont know why walkera would go to that old trex style, battery on top, design.

The walkera mini/micro helis at industry leaders. Leave it to the Chinese to make stuff smaller and cheaper. I got caught up, and tricked into 'beta testing' the M120D02. The most advanced micro heli i've seen. It looked just like the bigger heli, only in a 120 size. But, it is overweight and under powered, and even with the wow upgrades (ta 915 motor) i could not get it to do what i wanted it to do. If i had only waited for the V120D02s or the Mini CP....

Learning to fly 6ch cp helis on walkera equiptment was great. Their fbl/rx combos are super stable. That lead me to getting a 2702v rx and putting it into trex clone 450pro air frame. My experience with the v400 lead me to find a more sturdy, crash worthy, platform. And trex clone parts are affordable and readily available. Walkera parts are expensive, and have limited US dealers. I've had two 2702 units, and they have been in my trex 450's, my 500, and my 600. If it was not for the 'lock out' bug in these systems, i might not have even needed to start this thread just yet. They are so stable and solid, when they work, i would be happy just flying them in my clones. They dont hold quick piros well, and the tail hold might not have been as solid in fast backward flight, but i could not compare it to anything else, until i started buying things like the spartan quark gyro and mks ds90i tail servo. I put that setup in my 450pro, along with a 2801pro rx, and a whole new world of possibilites was opened up to me.

Now that i'm doing more upgradeing and not so much buying new projects, or spending on spare parts, i started looking into 'pro' level electronics. High end fbl units, better servos, esc's, and motors. The beastX has always been in my wish list due to its similairties to the 2702v. Simple setup and no so expensive. I bought one awhile ago, but just got around to installing it into my 500. Another is on the way for either the 450 or 600 depending on if i can work this bug out of my 2702v which i would like to keep on my 450.

And here we are. My journal entries continue in this new thread. I'll be shareing my experience with the beastX units, and any other upgrade that goes into my 2801 controled helis. I also plan on trying my hand with a plane. Something that runs on 3s 2200mah, so when its to windy for my 400 and 450, i can do some plane flying. You know i'm gunna try a walkera V unit in the plane, even though the guys at the field think that gyros in a plane is 'cheating'.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:53 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here we go again. Another thread dedicated to careing and sharing.

Alot of guys/gals have 'cut their teeth' or started this rc heli addiction on a walkera product. I must admit that my walkera 'era' has been a sweet and sour experience. Its had its ups and downs, but I will always cherish those days of learning, and hold on to the products that i now love.

Walkera was like the 'gateway drug' that got me hooked on this hobby. Yeah, the quality is not always the best, and the designs had some flaws, but if it was not for the affordability of the walkera products, i would not have been this far into the hobby.

As i have grown, i have been posting threads about the walkera projects that i have been working on. The V400D02 thread, started two years ago, was my heli journal. I found i was not alone in my quest, and along the way i made many friends. That soon broke out to a Walkera V clone thread, and now that we are moveing on to bigger and better (more expensive) things, its time for the new thread. Welcome to the last thread related to walkera that i will post.

The Walk-era and Beyond

Feel free to share, and ask away. The only limitation being that you must have a walkera rx/tx that you are using to control you craft. Notice that i did not say heli. That means planes, quads, boats, cars, bathroom door, as long as it is controlled by a walkera tx (devo or pro), you are good here. Even if you want to compare or share an experience with another controller that you think might be benificial to us walkera fliers, let us know.

Have fun, and always remember - Dont crash (unless its some kind of walkera electronic failure)
Well this will likely be the last WK related thread i join. So this should be fun. I have no plans on getting a devo. But i have loved my 2801-pro. I just hope the 2801-pro RX does not repeat the same issues my 2702V has with lock outs. I'm quite scared.

I too am going full on BeastX. I plan to later get a Spektrum TX but for the time being. If this works out. I will stick with the 2801-pro RX. But i hope the 2801-pro RX units are still going to be available to us for a while and not completely discontinued. It has been impossible to get a 2801-pro RX for my v120d02S for months. But suddenly there are a few on the market again. So maybe there is a little hope for continued support for the 2801. It's not like they are going to tell us what they plan on doing.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:21 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Nice one kdean , hoping this thread will answer some questions regarding the WK RX (fix devo issues )

IntegrityHndywrk, from what I understand, the 2801Pro and RX are a solid platform, its the gyro combo's that people are having problems with isn't it?

One plus point with the Devo is the firmware upgrades for the TX and RX, which will hopefully cure any lockouts in the future, although from all the reading, it is a disappointment the way they obviously beta test on customers.

From what I've read, its only on the fixed ID where the devo RX lock up isn't it? So if I do fit a WK gyro and don't assign a fixed ID, it should be fine right??
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:24 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,598 Posts
Thats what i'm hopeing.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Nice one kdean , hoping this thread will answer some questions regarding the WK RX (fix devo issues )

IntegrityHndywrk, from what I understand, the 2801Pro and RX are a solid platform, its the gyro combo's that people are having problems with isn't it?

One plus point with the Devo is the firmware upgrades for the TX and RX, which will hopefully cure any lockouts in the future, although from all the reading, it is a disappointment the way they obviously beta test on customers.

From what I've read, its only on the fixed ID where the devo RX lock up isn't it? So if I do fit a WK gyro and don't assign a fixed ID, it should be fine right??
The lockout issue with the Devo have been fixed as I as know with a firmware upgrade. It only applied to telemetry capable transmitters i.e. 6s, 8s,12a, and 10. The issue only occurred when the above transmitters were used with non-telemetry capable receivers with the sensor turned on.

I am not sure whether there are any lockout issues with the Devo version of the 2702 receiver. But as far as transmitters do, the Devo line is state of the art are not knockoffs of any other brand. There is also a third party firmware available which makes the Devo 6 and 8 compatible with Spektrum DSM2, Nine Eagles J6, Walkera 2801/2601/2401 and Turnigy 9.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:03 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,598 Posts
Has anyone heard of the 2801 pro tx haveing lock out issues with the 2801pro tx when using set id, or at all?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Has anyone heard of the 2801 pro tx haveing lock out issues with the 2801pro tx when using set id, or at all?
I have had a few mysterious occurrences with my Trex 450 using Align 3G with a 2801 pro receiver. One one occasion I lost rudder control suddenly and couldn't control the heli. I suspect there was a loose connection between the 3G unit and the tail servo.

On two occasions, the heli just lost power and fell out of the sky so to speak. One of them was very close and so it could not have been a range issue. I am inclined to think that a brownout had occurred where the BEC had cut off power to the receiver.because of over current usage. My LHS recommended that I install an independent BEC. However, I did not encounter any problems with my 250 which was fitted with Align 3G and a 2801 pro receiver as well.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Well I'll put my 2c in on this new thread...maybe a nickle.
I just purchased a RX-2801-Pro, thought I should get one before they became unavilable. Now it's time to get a gyro. Still doing my research on that one. I love the simplicity of the programming of the Beastx, just can't afford the 2 bills at this time. Unless any of you know of any good deals out there. The other option I guess would be the zyx (still studying that one) but it is1/4 the price tag of the beastx. But like they say you get what you pay for. Anyways I'll keep reading and saving my pennies. All suggestions accepted at this time.
P.S. Thanks Kdean for starting this thread, I believe there will be a lot of activity here.....
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Maybe this doesn't belong here since I am only using a Walkera tx... but anyway. I bought an Alzrc Devil 450 FAST, Tarot ZYX, and Spektrum AR6200 w/ sat. I just finished the build and maidened it today. So far I am impressed with the ZYX, I was taking it pretty easy though. But it seemed to handle the wind better than my 2702v. It was extremely windy so I didn't try any flips or piros. I usually don't do any flips on a maiden anyway. I am very interested to see how well the piro comp works, the only fbl unit I've used before is the 2702v.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
Maybe this doesn't belong here since I am only using a Walkera tx... but anyway. I bought an Alzrc Devil 450 FAST, Tarot ZYX, and Spektrum AR6200 w/ sat. I just finished the build and maidened it today. So far I am impressed with the ZYX, I was taking it pretty easy though. But it seemed to handle the wind better than my 2702v. It was extremely windy so I didn't try any flips or piros. I usually don't do any flips on a maiden anyway. I am very interested to see how well the piro comp works, the only fbl unit I've used before is the 2702v.
No I think you're in the right place. Is it still warm enought to fly in ND ? Ha!
And I'm with you on the gyros. I've only used Walkera also, 2618v and 2614v
But pretty pleased with the both of them, so far. Now I'm looking into leaving the Walkera (combo gryo/rx) nest. So the ZYX did you fine... Was it very difficult to setup? Guess I can youtube it and see.
Welcome to the thread. Clear Prop
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
No I think you're in the right place. Is it still warm enought to fly in ND ? Ha!
And I'm with you on the gyros. I've only used Walkera also, 2618v and 2614v
But pretty pleased with the both of them, so far. Now I'm looking into leaving the Walkera (combo gryo/rx) nest. So the ZYX did you fine... Was it very difficult to setup? Guess I can youtube it and see.
Welcome to the thread. Clear Prop
Well it's 34 degrees today... so I guess it is warm enough. My thumbs were starting to get cold after 3 minutes though.

I have been happy with my 2702v, I just wanted to try something different. The ZYX was easy to set up(once I figured out you had to let it initialize before you could plug in the usb cable and connect). I used this software: http://fbl.net.nz/ I didn't even try setting it up with the transmitter since the ZYX-S from MM comes with the usb cable.
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
I didn't even try setting it up with the transmitter since the ZYX-S from MM comes with the usb cable.[/QUOTE]

Who is MM ???
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
I didn't even try setting it up with the transmitter since the ZYX-S from MM comes with the usb cable.
Who is MM ???[/QUOTE]

Miracle Mart, they're a good vendor, very good customer service from me experiences with them and good prices too
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC