Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:18 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
Happy 4th of july XD
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Jul 04, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
I have all of the rokinon primes and the fisheye. They are excellent quality, can't tell the difference between them and Canon L glass really. they get high ratings.
Thanks. And thanks RCmit I'm thinking of the Shrimp II and 3 axis DD500 when all is available. My biggest issue is I expected to be getting more work from my clients by now. Some are cheaper than I thought (despite being large development companies) and I only want to buy more gear if I can justify it.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Jul 04, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:29 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
I got the retractable LG prototype done. need to test it in the air, but should be fine. it is as tough as none retract, so I am pretty happy about it. this will go on my modular design that I am working on. (quad in this case)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,020 Posts
I am now getting I2C errors, what is that? What do I do to fix it? How do you perform the multi position calibration? If the gimbal is on, then it is fighting me as I try to move the quad. How accurate do the positions need to be to get it to work? WIll doing the advanced calibration help with the shaking and inability for the gimbal to point the camera?

This in on a 500DD with RX100.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:48 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
i2c errors are from IMU wires either connector being lose or too close to the motor. The easiest way to do 5 position cal is turn the power to 0 first, then cal then reset the power.

advanced calibration helps with level. shaking is something else. usually balance issues causes fast jitter. slow jitter may point to another issue.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Jul 05, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 01:57 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
I got the retractable LG prototype done. need to test it in the air, but should be fine. it is as tough as none retract, so I am pretty happy about it. this will go on my modular design that I am working on. (quad in this case)
i would be interesterd in this depending on how it attaches to frame... i really need to sort out my LG.
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Old Jul 06, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Will the Lobster and the AG1K gimbal be up on your website this weekend so I can purchase them.
Stevie D is offline Find More Posts by Stevie D
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:02 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
Will the Lobster and the AG1K gimbal be up on your website this weekend so I can purchase them.
Sorry for the delay, but we are still fine-tuning the isolation setup for the AG1kDD, which BTW, will come with the 3rd axis as standard. Since the isolation changes could affect the Lobster setup as well, we will wait and release both at the same time.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Sorry for the delay, but we are still fine-tuning the isolation setup for the AG1kDD, which BTW, will come with the 3rd axis as standard. Since the isolation changes could affect the Lobster setup as well, we will wait and release both at the same time.

-- Gary
I must have missed something; what is the AG1kDD? Is that the handheld gimbal for DSLR's?
RCmit is offline Find More Posts by RCmit
Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:42 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmit View Post
I must have missed something; what is the AG1kDD? Is that the handheld gimbal for DSLR's?
No, it is the new name for what we were calling the AG600DD. The reason for the change is mainly so that we don't have any confusion with the upgrades we will do for the AG600v2 and AG700v2, which will not end up being exactly the same as the new gimbal. The second reason is that the name now will reflect the size/weight capacity. The AG500DD will work for setups up to about 500g, like an NEX-5-6, and the new AG1kDD will handle up to about 1kg, like a GH3 with the 12-35mm lens.

The AG1kDD will come with the 3rd axis, and will be optimized for use with the v2 Lobster, and with the new modular large quad Andrey is working on, which has full retracts for the LG. Once those are finished, we will look at adding a handheld apparatus.

We are also working on the Aegis handheld gimbal, but this is a whole other animal. It is much bigger, made from higher-end components (all 22mm CF tubing, CF plates and anodized aluminum...) and will use some special custom motors we are having Steve Neu do for us which are real torque monsters. He's doing two sizes and even the smaller one has about twice the torque of a 5208. The Aegis will be sized to take a full DSLR cinema-type setup. I will be testing mine with a Sony a99, a 24mm CZ lens and a Ninja2 lossless HDMI recorder/monitor.

-- Gary
Old Jul 07, 2013, 07:48 PM
Canada, BC, New Westminster
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
When do you think the Aegis will be ready?
jchiogna is offline Find More Posts by jchiogna
Old Jul 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
130 Posts
I did a series of eight videos of cargo ships on the Columbia River using a Lobster and AG600 V2. This was a fairly challenging shoot - the ships were passing a fair distance away from my position, they were traveling sometimes 10-20 knots into a gusty 10-20 knot wind, and of course the whole thing was over water. The Lobster and the now oh-so-out-of-style servo-based gimbal performed really well. The Lobster handled the winds beautifully, it had the range and speed to get out to the shooting area and back with plenty of time to shoot, and to follow (and catch up with) the ships, and the gimbal gave me nice stable results.

Andrey's gear is wonderful!

I posted the videos in the aerial photography section:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1948704

Kevin
tfmkevin is offline Find More Posts by tfmkevin
Old Jul 07, 2013, 09:05 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiogna View Post
When do you think the Aegis will be ready?
Probably not for 4-6 weeks yet. Once we get the final motor configuration, it will take a few weeks to get the motors built. That's probably the long pole in the tent, at this point. We also have some cosmetic things to address now that the basic operation is pretty well sorted out.

-- Gary
Old Jul 08, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
No, it is the new name for what we were calling the AG600DD. The reason for the change is mainly so that we don't have any confusion with the upgrades we will do for the AG600v2 and AG700v2, which will not end up being exactly the same as the new gimbal. The second reason is that the name now will reflect the size/weight capacity. The AG500DD will work for setups up to about 500g, like an NEX-5-6, and the new AG1kDD will handle up to about 1kg, like a GH3 with the 12-35mm lens.

The AG1kDD will come with the 3rd axis, and will be optimized for use with the v2 Lobster, and with the new modular large quad Andrey is working on, which has full retracts for the LG. Once those are finished, we will look at adding a handheld apparatus.

We are also working on the Aegis handheld gimbal, but this is a whole other animal. It is much bigger, made from higher-end components (all 22mm CF tubing, CF plates and anodized aluminum...) and will use some special custom motors we are having Steve Neu do for us which are real torque monsters. He's doing two sizes and even the smaller one has about twice the torque of a 5208. The Aegis will be sized to take a full DSLR cinema-type setup. I will be testing mine with a Sony a99, a 24mm CZ lens and a Ninja2 lossless HDMI recorder/monitor.

-- Gary
Thanks for the clarification Gary; sounds like lots of cool stuff to look forward to
RCmit is offline Find More Posts by RCmit
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:07 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,436 Posts
I shot my first video with the Shrimp this weekend and the results were pretty good. Aside from getting the props in the video, the shrimp was nice and stable in the 15+ mph winds we were having. I'm running a brushless 3 axis gopro gimbal in follow mode, so when it pans, it shows the props. I'm going to experiment with moving the gimbal further forward to see how it does. I had a friend of mine use his S800 and Zenmuse to get some external footage of the Shrimp in action.

Askman Shrimp Y-6 vs DJI S800 (6 min 19 sec)
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread