Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Discussion
MultiWii support for Spektrum Satellites

Spektrum Satellite support for MultiWii is ready for Alpha test.

At the moment, it supports one Spektrum Satellite and requires an Arduino Mega 2560 or Seeduino Mega

Future plans include:
  • Integration into the MultiWii trunk code base
  • Binding directly from the Arduino
  • ProMini support for 1 Satellite
  • Mega support for multiple Satellites
  • 11MS refresh support for the DX7SE and similar
  • Perhaps other things... feel free to suggest

Binding: At this moment in time, you must bind the Satellite to the TX by using a Spektrum "main" receiver. You must bind in 1024 mode and in 22MS refresh mode. Getting these modes is dependent on what TX/RX pair you use when binding. The simplest way is to use a 6xxx or 7xxx receiver.

Connections: The satellite has three wires, Orange, Black, Grey. Black goes to any ground. Orange goes to the +3.3V pin marked on the Mega board. Grey goes to Pin 19 / RX1. Diagram here.

Important note: Spektrum has been known to ship cables with the colors reversed! When holding the Satellite with the Spektrum logo toward you and the antennas up, Orange should be left, Black middle, Grey right. Like this

Code: The code is here. Be sure and un-comment the #Define Spektrum option. This was built from a development version slightly above 1_8, so all other definable options from 1_8 should work. Be sure and define things correctly for your copter.

Note: Since MultiWii + Spektrum was built from an above 1_8 base, a matching GUI Config release is required. It is available here

Good Luck, have fun, be safe, and remember: This is ALPHA code! It has been flight tested exactly once, on one of my Tri-Copters. Be safe, and don't fly a bird you aren't willing to crash!

Please Post all Satellite flight-test reports, questions, and suggestions to this thread.
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Last edited by Danal Estes; Sep 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:35 AM
Nederland, Gelderland, Meteren
Joined Dec 2010
202 Posts
I'm looking out for the ProMini support so I can test this.

Great work.
KeesvR is offline Find More Posts by KeesvR
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:53 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,094 Posts
Danal, I wonder if the Spektrum diversity board that was originally designed for the MK would work with the Mega's? It allows for binding without the receiver and up to 4 satellites connected. Here is a link that you can look at. The connections seem compatible.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...pic-17895.html
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
FC flux'd
Joined Jan 2007
537 Posts
Orange Rx clone satellite compatible? I have one but only have pro minis at the moment. Tap me up if you want me to test it when the Pro Mini code is ready.
Katch is offline Find More Posts by Katch
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Great work. Looking forward to test. Is there support for 8 channels with X9303 or similar?

Thanks

Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:14 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
I will be watching this one. As with many of the others I will be waiting for Pro Mini support since I haven't stepped up the the Mega plate yet. Mini's are just to affordable.

Nice work and thanks for your efforts,
Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:41 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Danal, I wonder if the Spektrum diversity board that was originally designed for the MK would work with the Mega's? It allows for binding without the receiver and up to 4 satellites connected. Here is a link that you can look at. The connections seem compatible.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...pic-17895.html
I looked extensively at his board. It took me a long time to realize it is a "switcher" but not a "decoder". So, yes, it could work instream with a MultiWii setup. But only if the MultiWii decodes the satellite stream. It would, for example, allow multi-sats with a ProMini, as soon as I get that working.

Binding: The coding part of binding is not hard, I have that working. I just have to work out some kinks with power supply. There are some really odd things going on. I believe I am now understanding some of the "My Spektrum RX won't bind with ESC/BEC so-and-so, but binds just fine when I use a battery" threads. Example: A sat works great with an LD117V33 inline to change 5V to 3.3V. Works great for everything, EXCEPT binding 'as master'.

More about that as I figure it out.
Last edited by Danal Estes; Sep 11, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post
Orange Rx clone satellite compatible? I have one but only have pro minis at the moment. Tap me up if you want me to test it when the Pro Mini code is ready.
AFAIK, yes. I don't have one to test, but they should be electrically and data stream identical to a Spektrum sat.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Great work. Looking forward to test. Is there support for 8 channels with X9303 or similar?

Thanks

Jussi
Yes. The code supports a configurable maximum number of channels, and is specifically written to work with the modes where Spektrum sends some channels in one frame, and other channels in another. I don't have that "turned on" in the code yet... but it will be trivial. Changing a define and doing some testing.

At the moment, it reads the first seven channels, so up through AUX1 but not AUX2.

Coming soon...
Last edited by Danal Estes; Sep 11, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:50 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
With regard to ProMini: Technically, the code runs there right now. There is just no way to configure anything, as the Sat RX has to connect to the one and only USART (i.e. "Serial Port") on the ProMini. This means a PC GUI can't be plugged in. Nor a serial LCD. Nor the Arduino based stand-alone config tool found here. So absolutely no way to change Gains or whatever. Unless you are willing to count blinks on the LED and keep track. I'm pretty hardcore, and not even I'm willing to do that.

I will be adding support to the MultiWii base for an I2C LCD. The hardware will be an Eagle Tree "Power Panel" LCD. No other part of the Eagle Tree system is needed. This leverages the TX based configuration that is in MultiWii today, where you can plug a Serial LCD in and config from the TX, except avoiding the serial LCD.

This will come along fairly soon, as I've already integrated the Eagle Tree Power Panel into the stand-alone config tool mentioned above. This code was written specifically WITHOUT the Arduino 'wire' library, but instead uses the same I2C subroutines that are used in the main MultiWii modules. In other words, this has all been converging in the background for a while.
Last edited by Danal Estes; Sep 11, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Hum, Had me worried then pulled me back again. The I2C workaround sounds very promising. I am curious, will the Eagle Tree panel be able to remain attached to the copter?

I have to say I am impressed with your efforts to support the majority of the community and not just the easy ones. This just sounds better all the time.

Very nice work indeed,
Rob...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxspode View Post
Hum, Had me worried then pulled me back again. The I2C workaround sounds very promising. I am curious, will the Eagle Tree panel be able to remain attached to the copter?

I have to say I am impressed with your efforts to support the majority of the community and not just the easy ones. This just sounds better all the time.

Very nice work indeed,
Rob...
Yes, the ET can remain attached with all other sensors, in flight, etc. They are both very light, and daylight readable.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Good news. I had an Eagle Tree setup for one of my gliders and since there was plenty of room in there I always left the panel under the canopy. It should be easy to integrate it into the tri's center section. Getting cooler by the minute.

Rob...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danal Estes View Post
Spektrum Satellite support for MultiWii is ready for Alpha test.

At the moment, it supports one Spektrum Satellite and requires an Arduino Mega 2560 or Seeduino Mega

Future plans include:
  • Integration into the MultiWii trunk code base
  • Binding directly from the Arduino
  • ProMini support for 1 Satellite
  • Mega support for multiple Satellites
  • 11MS refresh support for the DX7SE and similar
  • Perhaps other things... feel free to suggest

Binding: At this moment in time, you must bind the Satellite to the TX by using a Spektrum "main" receiver. You must bind in 1024 mode and in 22MS refresh mode. Getting these modes is dependent on what TX/RX pair you use when binding. The simplest way is to use a 6xxx or 7xxx receiver.

Connections: The satellite has three wires, Orange, Black, Grey. Black goes to any ground. Orange goes to the +3.3V pin marked on the Mega board. Grey goes to Pin 19 / RX1. Diagram here.

Important note: Spektrum has been known to ship cables with the colors reversed! When holding the Satellite with the Spektrum logo toward you and the antennas up, Orange should be left, Black middle, Grey right. Like this

Code: The code is here. Be sure and un-comment the #Define Spektrum option. This was built from a development version slightly above 1_8, so all other definable options from 1_8 should work. Be sure and define things correctly for your copter.

Note: Since MultiWii + Spektrum was built from an above 1_8 base, a matching GUI Config release is required. It is available here

Good Luck, have fun, be safe, and remember: This is ALPHA code! It has been flight tested exactly once, on one of my Tri-Copters. Be safe, and don't fly a bird you aren't willing to crash!

Please Post all Satellite flight-test reports, questions, and suggestions to this thread.
Hi Danal,
I'm sure this contribution will be very useful for a lot of people.
Thank you !
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
700 Posts
Very nice. I have a genuine and an orange satellite that Im anxious to test out (pro mini) when its ready. Keep it up!
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12