Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Discussion
How to survive the winter

I am sitting at my desk looking at all of the projects that await me to get up and do something.

We have; a brand new (blue) Slow Stick that needs to be assembled. My 6 year old Slow Stick finally crashed for good last month. It had been repaired from minor accidents a dozen times but this time it was hopeless.

Next is a brand new Formosa to replace my old one that also got too busted up to fix. This one will have a 2208/20 AXI with a 36 amp ESC and an 8X6 prop. Gives me about 400 watts and gives the Formosa enough power to climb when you need to.

Next I have to finish my Spitfire, I can't paint it until the temperature gets above 50 ( I only paint outdoors) so it will have to wait until spring. Other than that it is completed and ready to fly now.

I have parts for my 5 year old Pico Tigermoth, the wings Finlay gave it up when I stressed it doing loops. The fuse is fine so I just need to replace the wings and it's ready for another 5 years. By the way, this airplane gets flown at least once a week since it was new. In the spring and summer it gets flown nearly every day.

The GWS Slow Stick and Pico Tigermoth are classics. I have never found any airplane from any manufacturer that can do what these airplanes do. Once you get it set up the Slow Stick flys itself. Point it where you want it to go and relax until it's time to turn. It's a true lawn chair flyer that can stay aloft for an hour but not wear you out.

The GWS Pico Tigermoth is my front yard flyer and it does it better than any other airplane I have ever tried. It is versatile in that it can accept many different power/propeller combinations, and it is flexible in it's flight envelope. This is one of the all time great most fun for the money airplane kits ever made. Thanks GWS, you keep making them and I will keep flying them.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:33 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Hey TopSpin, you should give the big TigerMoth400 a shot. I have mine set up with a brushless and some pretty high throw rates. It is an amazing airplane. Quite aerobatic if throws are turned up and slows beautifully for landing.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:11 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
Hey TopSpin, you should give the big TigerMoth400 a shot. I have mine set up with a brushless and some pretty high throw rates. It is an amazing airplane. Quite aerobatic if throws are turned up and slows beautifully for landing.

Cliff
I actually have had two of them and I agree they are a lot of fun to toss around. My last one had .10 sized outrunner in and dual ailerons it so it was pretty fast and maneuverable. I managed to run it straigt into a tree when the elevator connector broke. I might build another one one of these days but I can fly the pico tigermoth in front of my house. I can't do that with the big moth.

Here is one of my little moths.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=1
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:25 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi John,

You have a nice fleet at your base. Your Pico TM might be happier in loops if you could add reinforcements to its wings.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:11 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Cool TopSpin. I also have a PicoMoth. Great flier for small areas. Also have the P40, P39, P51, BN2, Slow Stick, Formosa, Formosa II, and Cargotrans.

I'm rather lucky in a way. I'm surrounded by hundred of acres of farm land. I can even land my Senior Telemaster in my sideyard.

Long winters make for several builds

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Hi John,

You have a nice fleet at your base. Your Pico TM might be happier in loops if you could add reinforcements to its wings.

Chen
Hi Chen. I have two Pico TM's and one is reinforced with flat CF strips. I left the one that broke pretty stock to save weight and keep it light.

The only change I made to it was the GWBLM001A motor. I run 1200 2S lipos in it and use a 8040 HD prop. It climbs really well but can still fly slow with this setup.

I got new wings from Balsa Products and should have it fixed next week. I may put a thin fiberglass strip across the wing joints just to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi John,

Good idea ! You have a powerful setup that will not be affected by the added weight of the fiberglass strips.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen