Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:22 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
...you could try that sail without much changing. The schooner I sail just uses loose footed jibs. You loosen or tighten when changing tacks...no big deal.

Just remove the jib boom and run the sail loose...see how it does then try a genoa and see how it does.

Crash
I get much the same effect by loosening my forestay/ and tightening my jib boom up-haul so the jib is loose and swinging.
I've even had a bystander ask me if I was flying spinnaker on it at the time, because of the way the jib was ballooned out.

Yesterday was NOT the day for that though.
Had my vang loose and my sails flat, spilling as much as possible.
Downwind speed wasn't an issue, boat was already up to "hull" speed, couldn't go any faster, unless I could get it to plane a bit on the swells.
All I needed was the ability to point into a gale. (squalls?)
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
snipped

There is some pretty cool raw video that just went up on the Yamaha thread in similar conditions yesterday.
Link??
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...463901&page=15
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:43 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
One more from yesterday...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link CC, pretty gusty and squally alright!
Makes for exciting sailing, racing or not.

Very similar to our situation here, except we were standing downwind and the waves were much bigger (whitecaps and spray)
I doubt that any speedboat would have attempted a run here yesterday.

Comparing the Yamaha videos to my Nirvana perfomance yesterday, I think the Nirvana handles sudden gusts a little better, less tendency to weather helm. Maybe it's just the shorter mast. Less leaning moment...
Or maybe it's just the way I have it set up.

That Yamaha sure is a pretty boat, love all the scale doodahs on it and the crew. Nice lines too.
Is it a one meter size hull?

I would imagine (like any other scale looking boats, the Fairwind III for instance), that pushing and shoving your way around a buoy during a race would make for some nasty entanglements though.
It really moves along on a beat though doesn't it?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
...you could try that sail without much changing. The schooner I sail just uses loose footed jibs. You loosen or tighten when changing tacks...no big deal.

Just remove the jib boom and run the sail loose...see how it does then try a genoa and see how it does.

Crash
@Crash:
I guess the thing is - if it is to be a genoa then the tack gets hauled back past the mast either side. The little boat I did has a 150% genoa (the genoa foot is 1.5 times the original jib foot length) and it needs to be hauled pretty tight to sail close to the wind. No dramas downwind of course.... looks a bit like an undersize spinaker in some conditions.

Genoa certainly provides extra power in the right condtions, but is a bit tricky to trim.... thinking I may do one on a larger boat one day (like a 1 metre boat)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Comparing the Yamaha videos to my Nirvana perfomance yesterday, I think the Nirvana handles sudden gusts a little better, less tendency to weather helm. Maybe it's just the shorter mast. Less leaning moment...
Or maybe it's just the way I have it set up.

That Yamaha sure is a pretty boat, love all the scale doodahs on it and the crew. Nice lines too.
Is it a one meter size hull?

I would imagine (like any other scale looking boats, the Fairwind III for instance), that pushing and shoving your way around a buoy during a race would make for some nasty entanglements though.
It really moves along on a beat though doesn't it?
To be fair about the performance in that video...the skipper is new and that may be his 1st or 2nd sail with it. Boomer could chime in with his experience with the Yamaha here.

I wouldn't want to race it NASCAR or 'Crash' style with all the railings on it either...

But she is a beautiful 1:20 scale boat and sails as well as it looks....at least mine does and is a joy to see run across the pond.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
The sail trim on the boat in the last videos I watched is not trimmed like mine is. My boat handles gusts extremely well, and is very stable in strong wind. I am not one to be critical of how another skipper sails, so I will leave it to the skipper being new to the boat and or sailing in general. I can't say for sure but I can say that sail trim is a factor in the videos.

What I will say is that once you have a Yamaha set up correctly it is very smooth and likes the big stuff. I have sailed my Nirvana and my Yamaha in identical conditions can report the Yamaha deals with the heavier conditions with a great deal more grace than my Nirvana.
Love them both. but got to say it like it is.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Oh and yes the Yamaha is a 1 meter size boat....

Also take a look at the last pic of my Yammer and the Nirvana. The Nirvana is getting knocked down. Notice the wind indicator on the Yammer. I learned to open my sails in those conditions, to bleed off the air to keep from getting knocked down, and make the most speed, while not having to use more rudder, which will also slow you down....
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,579 Posts

After much slide rule , and talking with Lang, And Dennis Duprois, to put a TRUE genoa on the Nirvana would do too much damage to the stock appearance of the boat, would need blocks in front, side, traveller on the back, and rebuilding the radio box to accept a winch..

If I wanted to just run a boomless jib, not a big deal, just would rig the port side with the block arrangement the starboard side has, using stock stuff, not a big pull from stock, but, then it AINT a genoa.

So, if this were any other boat, I would do it..The Nirvana tho, is special to me, I bought it as a lark, was cheap..lol..never knew that it could make me GREAT friends, give me huge hours of entertainment, not sailing, but, here yappin.., and has truly been a ball..I have come to know very well so many good men because of this little boat.

End of story, I aint EVER gonna tear it up.. a genoa..

Its modded, good sails, trick keel, great radio gear, personal paint scheme..

What more can I ask?

NOTHING..

chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,579 Posts
Since I'm reminiscing, last year was a hellova year here, all kinda discussions, some great arguements, I got banned twice....some of the greatest rc sailors in the country collaberated on the "super", we, as a group, helped some less fortunate kids out with sailboats, many jokes, ideas, pictures of EVERYTHING imaginable were shared amongst us..lol..

We need to get back to that..was a laugh a minute..

And a good, strong group was formed, Canada is represented, Dw is now from over the pond, Crash hosted the first national regatta..

And on and on..

THIS is what the Nirvana gave me..I sure hope its that good to you..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
495 Posts
Looking over the past year brought back memories of the Nirvana nationals and also brought these questions to mind. How far would you travel to attend a national, and what month is the best time to hold it? I know there is no one size fits all, but just wanting to get a feel for how everyone thinks about attending a national event. Thanks for your patience and answers.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:07 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post

After much slide rule , and talking with Lang, And Dennis Duprois, to put a TRUE genoa on the Nirvana would do too much damage to the stock appearance of the boat, would need blocks in front, side, traveller on the back, and rebuilding the radio box to accept a winch..

If I wanted to just run a boomless jib, not a big deal, just would rig the port side with the block arrangement the starboard side has, using stock stuff, not a big pull from stock, but, then it AINT a genoa.

So, if this were any other boat, I would do it..The Nirvana tho, is special to me, I bought it as a lark, was cheap..lol..never knew that it could make me GREAT friends, give me huge hours of entertainment, not sailing, but, here yappin.., and has truly been a ball..I have come to know very well so many good men because of this little boat.

What more can I ask?

NOTHING..

@Chidago:
Agreed - the genoa is a substantial alteration - if you are fired up about it maybe pick another boat that you are not so keen on.....

Downside for me was getting used to sailing it - without the self tacking jib it is a bit more work into the wind... but it looks good and goes well.... swings & roundabouts I guess....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post

What more can I ask?

NOTHING..

It's perfect John!!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The sail trim on the boat in the last videos I watched is not trimmed like mine is. My boat handles gusts extremely well, and is very stable in strong wind. I am not one to be critical of how another skipper sails, so I will leave it to the skipper being new to the boat and or sailing in general. I can't say for sure but I can say that sail trim is a factor in the videos.

What I will say is that once you have a Yamaha set up correctly it is very smooth and likes the big stuff. I have sailed my Nirvana and my Yamaha in identical conditions can report the Yamaha deals with the heavier conditions with a great deal more grace than my Nirvana.
Love them both. but got to say it like it is.
Boomer
Glad to hear it Boomer.
I'd hate to think such a gorgeous boat was't a real good sailor.

I hear they are scarce now. (and pricey)
I do like the bling on them.

I like the scale look, that's why I keep dressing up my Nirvana.

It's the same reason I am in love with the new Fairwind III, ( another beautiful boat, and I can't afford one of those either), and I realize they are not a fast boat with their broad beam etc, but they look great and I hear they sail well, (just not fast).
Fast isn't everything!!!
Last edited by lilleyen; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:57 AM.