Here it is, ready to fly.

Setup again:
Hyperion 4020-14
Hyperion Titan 80 Opto
Hyperion 5S 3700 pack
Hyperion 4A switching BEC
Hyperion servo-slow on the flaps
Spektrum AR6200
Spektrum servos (finally I get to use these!)
Robart nosegear (not the same strut as Tracon's, but this one looks just about as much the part)

APC 13x8E prop, exactly the predicted 67A static, which is about 1300W... just a bit more than the 3025 would have produced

I expect climb rates like the proverbial homesick angel...
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2007, 04:58 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
Here it is, ready to fly.

Setup again:
Hyperion 4020-14
Hyperion Titan 80 Opto
Hyperion 5S 3700 pack
Hyperion 4A switching BEC
Hyperion servo-slow on the flaps
Spektrum AR6200
Spektrum servos (finally I get to use these!)
Robart nosegear (not the same strut as Tracon's, but this one looks just about as much the part)

APC 13x8E prop, exactly the predicted 67A static, which is about 1300W... just a bit more than the 3025 would have produced

I expect climb rates like the proverbial homesick angel...

Andrew,

It is looking really good. Hope the weather is favorable for a maiden today - would love to hear how it performs. What was your AUW?

Looking at the cowl in you picture, it looks like the thrust angle is up - is that just the motor sitting higher? I like that you didn't have to add weight to the nose. I'll probably do the same. Do you feel that the front firewall is still stout? (I would suppose it is overbuilt, since it is a slimer convert). When giving my 182 the once over I noticed that the glue they used is not the strongest in the world, But Sam has flown his numerous times without incident. I know the 82" had some problems with the glue in the wings.

Well good luck! and take pictures!

Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Last edited by steve1814; Sep 08, 2007 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Added content
Old Sep 08, 2007, 05:28 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
More than I can conveniently measure

Something around 3.8kg, I'll weigh it properly next time I take it apart... which may be tomorrow to take it to the field, weather permitting.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 02:39 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Ok, so I tried to weigh it... and the fuse assembly is still over the limit of my scales, so I don't know what it weighs yet.

The thrust angle is right... it's just that I have my motor mounted with the shaft a bit higher relative to the cowl than Sam's. There's a few washers between the top of the alloy mount and the firewall to tilt it down a bit. The firewall seems to be plenty strong enough even with a 50mm square hole in the middle. It's pretty well attached to the fuselage. Interestingly, it's about 12 or 14mm thick in the central part, but the edges are only 6mm or so. The blind nuts for the mount go into the edge of the thicker part.

So, I took it out, set it up, handed the TX to Alex... and it flew. His skills outdo mine in the aerobatics department, so he's got a better chance of bringing a model back if something isn't right.

As it turned out, everything was right, and it flies great. Decent speed but not crazy, the CG was fine at about the center of the suggested range. Ground handling with the Robart strut and flexy fiberglass mains was excellent, although the steering came loose on landing so I'll have to do a little work there, and the nosewheel throw doesn't seem quite enough.

The really impressive thing, though, is the power... it takes off and climbs like a rocket at 3/4 throttle, cruises quickly at 1/2 and will maintain altitude at 1/4. I'm thinking the idea of fitting a tow release and towing gliders with it is perfectly doable.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 05:35 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
Super!

Congrats Andrew. Now we know the airframe flies on a less heavy power system. Did you happen to get any pictures?

Still would like to know what it weighs, so I guess this thing is next on the build list after getting the Miss 2 finished.

Since I have my A123's in a 5S configuration, I'll be looking at running a motor more like Andrew. The AXI 4130/16 is going into my RV-7 which really needs a lot of nose weight.

Thanks for the report Andrew, hope to hear more flight reports from both you and Sam!

Steve
Last edited by steve1814; Sep 09, 2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 06:22 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Motocalc reckons you'll need 5s2p and a few more KV to make it come alive (4020-12 swinging the same APC 13x8). That'll make it pretty heavy, but I don't think unmanageably so... the flaps are pretty effective at slowing it down, so landings won't be that scary.

Oh, we were flying off very short grass (not quite cricket pitch, but getting there). No problem with the pants on, could probably handle quite a lot more. Also, our strip is pretty bumpy, no problem at all. The park in Sam's photos has much longer but flatter grass.

No photos... I was pretty busy out there, and you couldn't imagine a less photogenic day... dark overcast.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 07:26 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
Yeah, I ran the numbers as well. The real kicker is the weight. I MAY have to resort to Lipo's for this one and since I don't have any in 5s it'll wait until I get a good deal.

I was looking at this motor in comparison to the Hyperion, seems to be around the same - little more KV...
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Andrew,

Wooohoo !!! Good to hear or should I say read about your maiden !!!

I just got back from a short vacation, have you put any more flights on since the maiden ???

Keep us updated...

Well done !!!

Sam
Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Tracon
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:00 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
It's a weekend flier at this time of year, because I can't get from work to the flying field before it gets dark. But, daylight saving in two weeks will change that.

I'll probably get the steering sorted before next weekend, though, so I'll be getting a bit more time on it. Also, I paid my club fees so they won't chase me off...
Old Sep 21, 2007, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
47 Posts
i think i am in love with this Cessna and ...

I havent even been up close and personal..!

She looks a dream..

Would you say a relative novice could build and fly it??

I have only flown rudder only beginner 14" Pups so far (I am a real glider pilot though if that helps much) - I may go for an intermediate model with fullish function next - easystar / easypigeon or similar - I just cant wait to fly the CMPro (quality looks fantastic for the price) - then perhaps the big Hangar 9 or the big CMP when they fix the wing weakness issue - what dream planes...

I am assuming that they are exceptionally stable in calm to moderate wind and with flaps will be solid as a rock at low landing speeds?

I envisage upgrading wheel diameter and buying top quality front leg

Not sure what motor or power pack - I will go for brushless + non lipo config by choice with BEC + strobes and nav lights + a tracker and perhaps some form of video camera (concealed within airframe)

Using a 'nicad' pack of appropriate value to suitable brushless (for scale speed and non acrobatic + good duration) can the correct COG be achieved without adding weight by placing pack thro bulkhead slightly - I am happy to accept medium performance - no hanging on a prop or double scale speed fly bys required thanks - 'pattern is full..' - I saw the larger version suffers from substantial ballast requirement even with heavy IC engine up front..

Does it really look as convincing in real life as it does in photos?! - Only servo hatches seem to let it down, being unmatched + linkages - fully internals would be rather nice..
JeanLucPicard is offline Find More Posts by JeanLucPicard
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
It needs the lipos. The airframe is rather heavy, and it needs about, I guess, 900W for scale climb performance. It's even hard to find a configuration for A123s, I suspect nicads are out of the question. A light enough pack is probably going to be too small for any reasonable duration, a big pack will be too heavy. This is not a model you want to do lots of battery changes... getting the wing on and off is fiddly, and there's no way to do a hatch. If you really don't want to go lipo, at least use A123s. Those you could charge in the plane, if you had a big enough charger.

I wouldn't call this an exceptionally stable model... good, but not exceptional. It is easy to land, with the Robart strut. However, it's quite a heavy model and so flies fairly fast, even with the flaps down (flaps up cruise is somewhere around 120kph, I guess a full flap landing is still in the 40s). One thing that is very, very good is that the slow speed handling is really nice with the flaps down. It's nowhere near as hard to land as the Lancair. So I'd say, get quite a bit of aileron time first. Slope soaring is good cheap practice.

The build is rather time consuming, but not especially difficult, and the manual is a big step up for CMP (compared to, say, my Lancair). We haven't mentioned it in the thread, but you need a whole lot of extension leads to get the electrics hooked up (mine has seven servo extension leads and a big long lead for the flight pack), so tidying up the wiring is a fairly big job. You also need a pretty decent radio, a flap system with separate trims is pretty much required. Also, I think one way or another the flap motion needs slowed down; I've got a Hyperion servo-slow on my flaps.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Lipos are a must...

This isn't a trainer...very unforgiving in many cases...

Fly an LT 40 for a while before stepping up to this...

Sam
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:22 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Andrew,

Did you get any flights on this weekend yet ???

I was out the other evening and had a great flight...everything still working well...

The new lights are awesome !!!

Really looking forward to other people's flight reports...

Sam
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 PM
Team Tracon !!!
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Jan 2003
2,747 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just got in from a dusk flight...

With these new lights from "Lazertoys" my Cessna looks pretty realistic taxiing around on the tarmac and flying around...

I tried something new today, I programmed in some mixing in my flaps with the elevator...

Now when I drop my flaps, I get about 25% of down elevator, this helps to stop the plane from climbing to the stars when I drop the flaps..

After initial tests, I found 25% to be a little too much so I dialed it down to about 18% and now it works awesome !!!

Ya drop the flaps now and she maintains her altitude and slows to a crawl...

I love this plane !!!

How are you guys making out ??? everyone here has gone really quiet around here...

All the best,
Sam

P.S. Thanks Andrew for the info on the strut...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:20 AM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
I didn't get to fly last weekend... the weather was appallingly awful. I couldn't have flown, the model would have vanished in the fog out at our club field! Strangely, there were slope sites flyable, so I went and did that.

Next time I fly, I'm going to program in the flap trim numbers. Glad to hear it works well... it's a bit strange to fly without that