Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:57 PM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2013
24 Posts
Question
Charging NiMH Battery Pack

I have a Tenergy TB6AC 50W/5A AC/DC Dual Power Balancing Charger and am wanting to charge a 4.8 V, 900 mAh, AAA Pack NiMH battery pack (purchased from Aloft Hobbies).

I am not sure as to how to set the charger to Auto which is suggested in the very cryptically worded “manual” that came with the charger. I can't seem to get to the sub-menu under NiMH!

I am looking for advice as to (a) how to best charge this 4 AAA battery pack and (b) how to configure this charger.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Craig
Cbed90 is offline Find More Posts by Cbed90
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:11 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,062 Posts
Most AAA cells do not fare well if fast charged. You should charge that battery at 90 milliamperes for 15 to 16 hours for a good balanced full charge. If trying to charge at any higher rate, monitor the temperature of the cells and, as soon as any cell reaches about 10 degrees F above ambient, stop the charge.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:12 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,159 Posts
You can't charge Nimh batteries with that charger, Lipo and LiFe only.
Your best bet for charging that pack would be use a wall wart charger that comes with most radios. The older ones usually were 50mA charge rate for 4 cell which would be a safe rate for a 900mAh battery, though a fully discharged pack would take the better part of a full day to charge, but topping off overnite would work well.
If you don't have a wall wart for charging your radio, then I sure you could easily find one today with all the old Mhz radios being retired
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:36 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
You can't charge Nimh batteries with that charger, Lipo and LiFe only.
Your best bet for charging that pack would be use a wall wart charger that comes with most radios. The older ones usually were 50mA charge rate for 4 cell which would be a safe rate for a 900mAh battery, though a fully discharged pack would take the better part of a full day to charge, but topping off overnite would work well.
If you don't have a wall wart for charging your radio, then I sure you could easily find one today with all the old Mhz radios being retired
Pete
Check again Pete. The listing I found in Amazon indicates it will charge NiMh.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7e5ai4jjsc_e

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:20 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,159 Posts
You be right!
I was looking at another listing and I didn't see Nimh listed.
I also can never find the relish in the refrigerator when I'm looking right at it!
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:29 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,056 Posts
Pete

You are my long lost brother !!
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:02 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
I agree with Pete that a ~50mA slow charge with a standard wall charger would be best.

If you cannot locate one of these chargers, I would set cell type at NiCd (not NiMH), charge current at .1A (lowest possible), safety timer OFF, capacity cutoff at 1300mAh, and then start the charge. Check on the pack periodically and terminate when the pack starts to get warm.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member