HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
786 Posts
Discussion
Oh Crap!

No boating this weekend, the Council drained the pond!

Can't believe how much duck crap is on the bottom, it's inches thick!!

Dirty animals..
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
The people who insist on feeding the ducks should be made to scrape up the muck!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:47 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,159 Posts
Like any biosphere ,theres is a limit to how much organic matter that can be handled ,
Being a skill aquarium keeper myself I know first hand the repercussions of over feeding and over crowding .

A natural balance has to be put in place ,and not feed the wild life. What is left in that pond is now a bio-hazard to those who have to clean it.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:24 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Not a very deep pond is it. Makes for easy retrieval if it sinks.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
786 Posts
I've waded out there a few times already.............in bare feet! YUK!!!!

There are a lot of "boating lakes" in and around London the same as this. Quite interesting really because boating must have been a big pastime at one point in time. Not sure when that was though. ..
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:51 PM
gamma tester
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Feb 2014
185 Posts
People insist on feeding the fowl at the pond I like to run in even though there are signs telling them not to. By early summer, ALL of the walkway and large rocks around the pond are covered in fowl doo-doo... by mid-summer there is show much bio-matter growing in the pond it's almost unusable for boats.
Looks like Spring is progressing nicely there, we are just getting the first tulips popping up here in Maryland, no green grass or leaves on anything yet.
Cravacor is offline Find More Posts by Cravacor
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
786 Posts
Spring is definitely in the air here in London. We've had some gorgeous sunny days already and this park is literally 10 meters from my front door which is why I decided to get into RC boats.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:35 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
We have a duck problem at our pond also, even though it was purpose-built and the club owns it we cannot keep the damn feeders away and we have a permanent population now. We even treated the pond with a chemical that was supposed to taint the food supply but it didn't work.
ParadoxNZ is offline Find More Posts by ParadoxNZ
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:12 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Two words: RUBBER SNAKES.
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:22 AM
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
There are no snakes in New Zealand.
I doubt they would be recognized as predators.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:10 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
959 Posts
There's a thread on RCG somewhere here about a model boat pond being drained and the sides repaired and then water added again... Part of the fun was seeing all the shipwrecks and detritus revealed by the slowly receding water. Some of the boats were reclaimed after years of loss.

Are we certain that that muck is duck feces? Does it not degrade at all or disperse into the water? We need a sick or vomit emoticon...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:25 AM
Joined Feb 2014
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
There's a thread on RCG somewhere here about a model boat pond being drained and the sides repaired and then water added again... Part of the fun was seeing all the shipwrecks and detritus revealed by the slowly receding water. Some of the boats were reclaimed after years of loss.

Are we certain that that muck is duck feces? Does it not degrade at all or disperse into the water? We need a sick or vomit emoticon...
Is there a vid of this?
I would like to see if it so, sounds very interesting.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:11 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,849 Posts
The trouble with ponds is that they are....ponds. The only drainage is usually via overflow or evaporation, so any solids that find their way in there, stay there. Most of it will be the roughage from fowl, the rest will probably be blown dust that sinks and stays in the water after hitting the surface. Anything soluble will either find its way out via the overflow outlet, or help grow weed.
"My" lake is fed from, and drained into, the sea. It does need to be refreshed regularly by a partial draining and refilling, but these rely on the tides on the other side of the sea wall. If it doesn't get refreshed, should there be a hot summer, it turns into a stagnant mass. In the elder days, it was drained deep and excavated. Nowadays, since the deep drain has vanished, it doesn't.
As to wading in bare feet - let the sight of the pond bottom be a lesson to you!
A few years ago we had a big problem with overpopulation caused entirely by bird feeders. After the RSPB and the council talked, "No Feeding" signs were put up. This worked with all but the most rabid and/or ignorant, the lake has settled to about what it can support, and the park is a much more pleasant place to walk in.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Mar 22, 2014, 08:22 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxNZ View Post
There are no snakes in New Zealand.
I doubt they would be recognized as predators.
That would be an interesting experiment for a biology/ecology class. They could test the hypothesis that recognition as a threat is a learned response. If it is determined that it was learned, it could then explore the mechanisms of teaching. I mean, we all know fish go to school, but what do ducks do for higher education?!?!

If it were an unlearned response, then that would imply that ducks have a genetic memory of some sort, or that they instinctively know of the threat (which might imply an origin outside of NZ, or that NZ once had snakes).

All in all, I think it would be a something to try under the guise of scientific research! If it works, great. If it doesn't, write about it and get government funding to do more model boating

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:05 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,159 Posts
Propane cannon's or air cannons

The blast regulated at irregular intervals from a fixed or floating platform,

Owls, osprey ,and eagles , though wild ,could be introduced to a new food supply this would naturally deplete the numbers and atleast encourage the fowl to land feed and leave ..with haste

not to mention ,destroy the nest area's to discourge rasing young in the area.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!