HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, MI, Lake Orion
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Discussion
The Tale Of Tiny Turnbuckles

Rob or (Casor) on this forum after staying up all night in search of something to think about, found it.That is the thing to think about.He asked me if I could make some small non functional scale Turnbuckles and this is the first and possibly smallest that i could cast in bronze.
sarkantyu is offline Find More Posts by sarkantyu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:57 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,012 Posts
Cool! -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,246 Posts
I'll say. Those look great. Are those silicone parts to be used to cast a negative mold?
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
These are injected wax parts from a silicone mold ready to be cast in bronze or a brass alloy.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,556 Posts
Those look the same size as the ones I got from a boat building site. Approx 1/6 scale for airplanes? Size 0 screw eyes.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
These are 20mm or 3/4 inch long.I don't think I could make them much smaller.Maybe 15 mm.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:25 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,556 Posts
Yours would probably be much cheaper too

1/6 scale is approx 3/4" long (from my unscientific research on photos).

Look at pics of the restorations on the Memorial Flight website. The turnbuckle portion looks to be about 6" long and threaded sections another 3-6".

For a more modern type the WACO YMF is still in production. You can visit their web site and view pics (if you send a note they will even send you pics of specific parts of the plane).
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,743 Posts
A long time ago, I made some small adjustable turnbuckles from mini clevises with a screw to fit and a washer soldered into the screw slot. Used them on a VK Sopwith Camel's wing rigging. Small scale brass turnbuckles are still very expensive. I'm having problems finding small machine and wood screws with slot heads nowadays.

PS: Dubro sells "rigging couplers " short black threaded rod with a hole in one end, that can thread into a mini clevis, etc. the come in 2-56 and 4-40 sizes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXE073&P=8
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Mar 20, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I made some small adjustable turnbuckles from mini clevises with a screw to fit and a washer soldered into the screw slot.
Great idea, thanks!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
The purpose of this project was to make turnbuckles much smaller then those.That is one of the reasons that they are non functional.The screws are less then a millimeter in thickness.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,556 Posts
I applaud your attempt for small stuff. They are needed at the small sizes.

The stuff made for #2 threaded rod is too big. Need to be at size #0 or #00.

And the problem with stuff that size is the cost. Typical biplane needs at least eight turnbuckles.

charlie
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:10 PM
CRRC member
United States, MA, Newton
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
If they're non-functional, why not do them with 3D-printing? The benefit being they get cheaper as they get smaller (aside from small fixed cost, but if you printed a set of them on some kind of sprue you could minimize that). Plus easy to scale up or down from a single 3D model. Is the bronze important?
patricksurry is offline Find More Posts by patricksurry
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Non-functional simply means that the mechanical part (screw)does not operate.I still have to deal with being able to handle small parts without breaking while rigging plus there is the fact that they do function to a certain extent when load from the wing is applied to them.They are not meant to be for static display models.So yes, the bronze is important.I am pretty much limited to just over .0.5mm when it comes to casting for it to be successful.
Last edited by sarkantyu; Mar 20, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
Failure is not an option
Boyertown, Pa
Joined Mar 2007
788 Posts
Hey Joe those look very nice. Bronze would be stonger than the white metal ones I use but I haven't even broken one of those yet despite drilling the holes out too big for the cable. The bronze units would be even better. Biplanes work like a million little fingers holding them altogether with no single component being able to take up all the flight or landing loads - so, the tiny TB's should work well, even with functional rigging.
Rob
casor is offline Find More Posts by casor
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
CRRC member
United States, MA, Newton
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
I guess bronze is going to be stronger than the typical polyamide (PA - strong, flexible plastic) you can print in, though that does seem like PA would be strong enough to support rigging (depending on load obviously). You can also now "print" in stainless steel tho I haven't tried it (4x price).

At shapeways.com they show tensile modulus & strength for PA as 1700 MPa & 48 MPa respectively. For stainless steel they show 147GPa & 682 MPa and say it's strong enough to require carbide bits to cut it. I guess bronze would fall in the middle somewhere?

Minimum size limits seem comparable - 0.8mm wire diameter in PA, but closer to 1.5mm dia minimum for stainless steel?
patricksurry is offline Find More Posts by patricksurry