HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
I will no longer have any problems with the canopy falling off. Of course you have to take screws in and out each time you fly but that's better then loosing the canopy all the time.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:41 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
Additional cooling/air vents in the bottom near the tail takes care it.
No worries now.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2004
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef086 View Post
I will no longer have any problems with the canopy falling off. Of course you have to take screws in and out each time you fly but that's better then loosing the canopy all the time.
I can honestly see a lot of the issues with canopies coming off being due to a lack of exhaust holes. I cut 2 in my bandit instead of 1. Exhausts should be bigger than intakes or the pressure can blow the canopy off. It'll not help if the magnets are misset though.
Cheers
D
maddog7 is offline Find More Posts by maddog7
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:59 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Additional cooling/air vents in the bottom near the tail takes care it.
No worries now.
Ditto... Mine came out once, even with the recommended vent hole opened, and this after many many flights on the plane which scared me even more. I'm always careful on the throttle management early into the flight when the battery has the most punch, this particular time I opened WOT earlier than usual and "poof"! Retractable top Bandit.

A second bigger vent under the fuselage seems to have cured this indeed.
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Issue normally occurs because the magnets aren't installed correctly at the factory. They end up sitting a bit low and not flush or proud of the surface so that they contact. You can glue a small washer on top of the fuselage ones to get them contacting, they hold on much better then and you won't need a second vent.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:08 AM
Joined Apr 2014
39 Posts
I only have the one vent and I fly my bandit off 4s with a 14x7. Hatch has never blown off
Daniel003 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel003
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel003 View Post
I only have the one vent and I fly my bandit off 4s with a 14x7. Hatch has never blown off
That's that great PA quality and they're inability to make two airframes the same.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:59 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
Issue normally occurs because the magnets aren't installed correctly at the factory. They end up sitting a bit low and not flush or proud of the surface so that they contact.
I'll check this, although I never had the issue before (and flying the plane for roughly one year and a half). In any case the second vent has been cut out already
RyoOhki1701 is online now Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:06 AM
United States, MI, Edwardsburg
Joined Jun 2013
20 Posts
My canopy blew off twice (with the vent hole cut as instructed).
I added 2 more magnets on the back side (the vertical face) of the canopy and it never blew off again. Just required adding a piece of balsa to span the open area in the fuselage which gave me a place to epoxy them to.

We shouldn't NEED to do this, but this was my solution.
Todd_R is offline Find More Posts by Todd_R
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2004
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Here's the pic and dimensions. It looks gigantic in the picture due to perspective but it is well proportioned for the wing. I think I supplied everything you'll need.
Thanks for that Dan,
A simple and effective mod.
Your using the originals as supports for your mod but I was thinking of just 3d printing some instead of the originals. I recon I could make them as light as the carbon ones.....
I'll post here if I do.
maddog7 is offline Find More Posts by maddog7
Old Jul 27, 2014, 01:06 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,325 Posts
You could simply remove the covering on the wing tips and glue on a thin piece of plywood and now have a good thickness of material to use very small screws for conventional SFG's.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan