HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:03 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,024 Posts
Discussion
This seems like cheating...

This week I've been working on setting up my CNC machine and 3D scanner. Blew up the power supply on the CNC so while I wait on parts, thought I'd ness around with my 3d scanner. This thing is awesome! After I compile the scans I'll have to re-topologize the mesh in order to get it print ready on the CNC. I'm opening some wonderful new doors!
Artsloper is offline Find More Posts by Artsloper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Wow, nice looking gear! How are you going to keep that room clean once the dust starts to fly?
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:47 PM
Composites guy
North OC, Ca.
Joined Jun 2005
1,177 Posts
Ralph-
How big is the file size once imported? that is a small model so i assume you scale it up when you want a 60" plane. Do you have an algorithm that smoothes the raster out?

Where is the big ship vac for the CNC? When you cut MDF masters it will keep the dust down. Almost operational?

have fun
Scott
sarmoby is offline Find More Posts by sarmoby
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:22 PM
The ProCreator
Joined Jan 2004
1,024 Posts
Big vac is on order. The scan makes a mesh of somewhere near 500 million polygons. After the scan I take it in to a program called Zbrush. There, using the point data, I make a low res mesh that follows the contours of the model. I can also add parts and more detail as I continue to subdivide the mesh upwards of 1-2 million polys. I will then convert the obj file to stl, or I can import the obj file to solidworks or 3dmax and create surfaces. The model is scaled to my liking and the final stl will remain small in file size.

The CNC is getting close to operational status. I have to fix a weld on my worm reducer tonight and my new power supply should be at home. If so, I should be able to take the cnc for a test drive this weekend!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:00 PM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,773 Posts
Ralph that some awsome gear.Looking forward to watching your progress on this on.

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:15 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,787 Posts
Awesome setup!
It's amazing what tools can be had at home now that only a few years ago were limited to big industry.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
IT IS CHEATING!!

But can I copy off you.
alexhaben is online now Find More Posts by alexhaben
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:13 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
That is AWESOME!!!!!!!
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:29 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,019 Posts
ooooo, why does something so wrong feel so right!

Watching with great interest, Ralph.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:49 PM
The ProCreator
Joined Jan 2004
1,024 Posts
IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!! Got the new power supply and went in this afternoon to hook it up. It went like clockwork. Once I was able to power up the motor drivers I calibrated the pins in Mach 3. All four axises were moving in the proper direction first time out! All is left is to install home switches and plug in a few more numbers. Next week I'll be playing with tool path simulation while I wait for my spindle cooling system to arrive. I still need to learn Mach 3 and hopefully that won't be much of a learning curve.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
I'll take one of these cheats for $500
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:09 PM
Dave Massongill
yucaipa, ca
Joined Dec 2003
1,354 Posts
That is awesome Ralph. I love that plane of yours you made from EPP. It would be incredible in glass. I always called that plane a "flying sculpture". Whenever I watched you fly it I swear at times it would change shapes in mid flight. Too Cool.

Dave
masson74 is offline Find More Posts by masson74
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:28 PM
The ProCreator
Joined Jan 2004
1,024 Posts
Well I have been having some fun learning about what you can and can't do with this CNC machine. Good news is there is not much you can't do. What I really want to see is 5 or 6 axis machines enter the pro-sumer market. Nevertheless there is much fun to be had with this!

This week I installed the home switches, cooling system for the spindle, mounted the vac to the wall, and played with mach3. I also purchased and installed Rhinocam for toolpath generation. If anything that seems like it is going to be the steepest hill to climb. In studying how to make toolpaths you have a ton of different options. I'm sure I'l be cutting through a lot of polystyrene for practice.

Really all that is left is to calibrate the axises. Then the CNC is just waiting for the g-code!
Last edited by Artsloper; Sep 03, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,283 Posts
Looking really good!

How fast does that spindle go?
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:06 PM
The ProCreator
Joined Jan 2004
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman View Post
How fast does that spindle go?
THe VFD will take the 1.5kw spindle anywhere between 0 and 24000 RPM's. Good enough for aluminum!