Old Apr 01, 2010, 08:54 PM
"The devil made me do it!"
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
Discussion
f3b Shooter setup

Need help!

I've just finished putting together a new (but second hand) F3b Shooter by Fischer of Estrella fame. Unfortunatley I don't have any settings so I can't finish it until I find the CG and tow hook position. Can anyone help me please.
Nigel M is offline Find More Posts by Nigel M
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:12 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,459 Posts
I don't have any settings for you but some pictures would be welcome
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:56 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Setup from Fischer... Hope it helps !
Laurent31 is offline Find More Posts by Laurent31
Old Apr 02, 2010, 07:19 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
Thankyou for the settings now I can finish the setup without guessing.

I will hope to get some photos over the next couple of days but all I can say is it's one sexy mother. Top build quality and parts as you would expect of a machine of this calliber. I would have liked an adjustable tow hook system but as Fischer has never done this who am I to argue...
I have a couple of DP Estrellas so I know the performance & pedigree are there now to see if it's the replacement or just another rival.
Last edited by Nigel M; Apr 02, 2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 02, 2010, 07:26 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
I have 2 shooter : the second one has the new wing joiner (one piece instead of two parts).
You can find picture on the frech F3x Forum : http://www.f3news.fr/les-news-du-mat...er-t320-45.htm

I add an ajustable tow hook on the second one. You can kick off the wood reinforcement with a bar (with sharp edge) from the opening of the sub-conus.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:31 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the link Laurent. What a great looking pair of models!! I fly the Radical myself and the Shooter looks very similar to me. What is your empty weight on the Shooters?

-Aaron
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Apr 03, 2010, 06:20 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
Shooter F3b

Hi Guys

Here are a couple of photos of my Shooter from todays maiden flights. Again a big thankyou to Laurent 31 for the settings they were spot on. Maiden flight went well just need 2 clicks of down trim but as it was in a 12-18 knots breeze this will likely come out in lighter conditions. The only other change was I added 1mm of down mixed to the launch flap just to ease of the steepness of the climb to start with. Launches like a bat outa hell and out penetrated both the Estrella and Ceres in these conditions but the same as the new Cere Lift and Radical. Will have to make up the ballast next to see the full potential but all in all super impressed and would recommend to keen sport or elite flyer. Fischer you've do it again!

A couple of notes if your building one:
First: I used a 5 cell Eneloop AA RX pack as I do in all my ships, but had to drill out 1/3 of the factory supplied lead glued into the nose to get the CG to the correct position. My CG today was 108mm from the rear of the nose cone but might move back after I have flown it more.

Second: I also placed my 7ch JR reciever up the front of the nose behind the RX pack. Might be a better idea to place it under the front of the wing saddle to help with the CG if you run a 5 cell RX pack. But would make it harder to get to under the tail pushrods.

Third: The supplied servo tray cutouts are to big if you use JR362, 368 type servos. I had to glue in a 4mm ply block into the front of each cutout so I could secure the servo's. If the servo tray wasn't already glued into the fuse you could make a new tray to fit your servos. Just keep them as low in the fuse as possible so the horns don't hit the nose cone.

Fourth: On mine the nose cone is a loose fit so required a couple of strips of tape on the inside to tighten the fit. Please check this before flying as mine would have come of if I had not attended to this before hand. Later I will add a strip of Carbon to both pack up the gap and reinforce the rear of the nose cone. But that can wait for now.

Happy flying and Easter to all

Nigel M
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:15 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
my Shooters are 2130 and 2125gr. Both are double carbon skin and 2.4Ghz friendly. No special effort for weight optimisation. No RDS.
Servos are JPRS3650 for tail, airtronic for flaps and JR168 for aileron. Battery is 2x 1S lipo (so double battery) with woltage booster, and rx is Futaba rs608.

Very few lead in the nose.

Becareful with the servo tray. It is realy useful for fuselage rigidity.

Then for ballast, I have a set with brass (stock - 1350gr) and a set with lead (homemade - 1750gr) . I often use more than 1350gr for speed as the Shooter is able to launch very heavy.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:08 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Shooter is able to launch very heavy
Agreed, the Shooter has a great launch potential (product of launch height and mass). And it goes well (I saw two 13.1xs speed times with Shooter).

Nice color scheme Nigel!

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Apr 06, 2010, 07:38 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
You peaked my curiosity so I weighed my Single Carbon Shooter and was a little suprised with the result.
Fuselage and carbon wing joiner = 759grams
Left wing = 632grams
Right wing = 631 grams
Total = 2022grams

Radio gear used = 6 x JR DS368 servos allround, ply wing servo mounts with bearing supports (no RDS and not 2.4ghz friendly)
JR RS77S 7ch Synthesized reciever
5 cell Eneloop 2000mah AA flight pack

This is the same gear as in my 2 Double carbon DP Estrella's except for using the new JR171 thin wing servos on the ailerons. Weighing in at 2220grams and 2226grams.

Laurent31 do you have any photo's or info on your Li-Pol rx pack setup? I've thought about trying a setup like yours but couldn't find a Li-Pol pack with decent capacity that would fit into the small nose. Also which regulator did you go with?
Old Apr 06, 2010, 10:24 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
I spoke about this devise in the A123 topic : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=18
and also
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

Manufacturer is greentronic : http://www.greentronic.eu

2 lipo , each 3.6V boosted to 5.5V, 1300mAh, so arround 1800mAh when you add the 2 capacity (the regulator uses more power to boost voltage). The regulator uses the 2 batteries at the same time.

In the Shooter, I have some piece of lead, then the 2 lipo one on each other, then the Rx and the regulator...then the servo tray.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:52 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
Hi Laurent31
Was there a reason why you run these as 2 seperate cells then have to boost the voltage rather than as a 2s1p pack and then regulate the voltage back down?
NigelM
Old Apr 07, 2010, 02:15 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Hi Nigel
This regulator is a dual-bat system. Both batteries are independant with also 2 links with rx.
I change from NiMh battery (EP1500) after 2 batteries faillure in my 2 Shooters (just after winter). Hopefully, the models still were in my garage and not in the air...

This regulator offers a dualbat and Lipo technology for arround 95euros (device+lipo). It is not cheap but you know the Shooter value...
I wanted a system that I can trust in, it is the case. Many of other pilots in France switched from NiMh/NiCd to Lipo with the Regmax regulator. Our (French pilots)experience with this product is 2 years without any failure.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 07:19 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,546 Posts
Hi Nigel

I have one of these regulators too. The advantage is the redundancy, if one battery is not in good shape or even fails, the system still runs (it switches to the other battery).

With two lipos in series (or any battery) you don't have a redundancy, so if one element fails (or just deteriorates), it is going down.

Additionally you don't need to balance the two cells to each other.

So pretty much the same as in the big power planes were folks use two seperate battery packs.

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: more Tweagle testing
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:51 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2010
258 Posts
Thanks for the information guys, it's reasuring hear the system is working well and has done so for a while. The battery redundancy is always a good thing. I'm building a second DP Estrella at the moment so will look at trying out this system in that before I change the Shooter over.