New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
Discussion
Mini CP vs Super CP vs Genius CP V2 vs HiSky vs WLToys V977 vs ?? - Which to prefer?

It seems there is a lot more choice in the micro CP world than a while back, when I got my MiniCP. I like it's smoothness, and the stick feel of the Devo 6 is pretty good. But the low flight times bother me, plus it's quite a handfull, being agile and having a dark canopy, making it harder to see when it moves awaw. Plus at the moment it's grounded waiting for parts, among which a lighter color canopy.

That got me thinking, Meanwhile I got to fly a V977, but the loose feel of the stock transmitter's sticks worries me, and the 6 axis gyro tends to drift. Could be just my heli, but I am considering other options.

I don't need ultra fast 3D performance, so it doesn't matter if it can do 3 flips per second, or just 2

What matters more is longer flight time than the MiniCP, good smooth control and good 6 axis mode, so I can choose whether that day I like the challenge of 3 axis mode, or just want to have a more leisurely flight, and keep it on 6G, so it more behaves like a 45 degree flybar heli on steroids, without the drawbacks of a flybar.

I am leaning towards a Super CP, as it apparently shares many parts with the MiniCP. But a better transmitter for the V977 could also be an option. Or maybe a HiSky offering would fit my needs better?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 25, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by IM back!
Joined Dec 2009
271 Posts
buying a super cp makes little sense. the only difference flight wise is the motor, witch you could easly install on your mini cp.

If flight time is what your affter the most cost-effective thing to do would be to upgrade your mcp to brushless.

If you want you could mod your devo 6 to fly v977 and others (google DeviationTX)

also note that larger birds (250<) tend to have mutch better flight times.
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:44 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM back! View Post
buying a super cp makes little sense. the only difference flight wise is the motor, witch you could easly install on your mini cp.

If flight time is what your affter the most cost-effective thing to do would be to upgrade your mcp to brushless.

If you want you could mod your devo 6 to fly v977 and others (google DeviationTX)

also note that larger birds (250<) tend to have mutch better flight times.

Thanks for the reply. I do understand the Super CP also comes with 6 axis gyro option, where my Mini doesn't. For pure CP flight that won't matter, as you are down to 3 axis and your own wits, but sometimes I just want to have a more easy flight, for flying the MiniCP I need full focus, so it's rewarding, but I'm not always up to that. Like end of the day, when you have the choice to fly an aerobatic plane, or a Piper Cup, the latter will be more relaxing. Usually for a relaxing heli flight, I would take my Solo Pro V, but often it's too windy for a 45 degree flybar micro to fly well. A 6 axis CP would be able to handle more, and should still be relaxing to fly due to the extra stabilisation.

I read the Super CP also has much better flight times, almost double than the MiniCP, and that it's not just the motor that is responsible for that, the heli is also a bit lighter. That, along with the 6 axis gyro, are the main reasons I did consider it as alternate. I would hopefully combine the smoothness that I like in the MiniCP with longer flight times, a decent transmitter, and I could use the MiniCP for parts backup, so there will always be at least one bird airworthy.

The reason I mentioned other helis, is because upgrading the Mini is going to cost about the same as one of the cheaper options, or maybe even a BnF Super CP. Also, won't adding brushless power not make the heli even more twitchy? I am looking for a little relaxing but still capable micro, preferably with 6-axis, that can fly at least 5 minutes or so.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,039 Posts
The Mini is 6 axis and flys like the Super c/p. The super is just clheaper version that uses Genoius motor. If you Mini is twitchy its not set-up right. 350 ma battery fits and should give four minutes and easy flying might go five. The Orange Genius c/p canopy should fit Mimi. , or Super canopy at that. V922/ V977 are hard wirded to be either to tame ot to wild. My Minis both stock and bl can leave contols for several seconds at hover before movement is needed. I set TX down and picked heli out of air flying a few times.
CJ has 350 batteries for @$5.00. Bang good has 400 ma @ $3.59. Now if looking for reason to get another heli thats fine. Mini and Super are most stable c/p's made in this size.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,376 Posts
The Super CP is 3 axis only as well. It flies almost identical to a Mini CP with the Genius motor. If you want something more stable and different, you can consider the V120D02S.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:55 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
The Mini is 6 axis and flys like the Super c/p. The super is just clheaper version that uses Genoius motor. If you Mini is twitchy its not set-up right. 350 ma battery fits and should give four minutes and easy flying might go five. The Orange Genius c/p canopy should fit Mimi. , or Super canopy at that. V922/ V977 are hard wirded to be either to tame ot to wild. My Minis both stock and bl can leave contols for several seconds at hover before movement is needed. I set TX down and picked heli out of air flying a few times.
CJ has 350 batteries for @$5.00. Bang good has 400 ma @ $3.59. Now if looking for reason to get another heli thats fine. Mini and Super are most stable c/p's made in this size.
I was under the impression that the MiniCP started with 3 axis only and that 6 axis was only added to later versions of the Walkera micro CP helis. When I look at different sites listing the specs of the MiniCP, it only mentions 3-axis.

My Mini does hover pretty stable, but once you give a little input, it takes off pretty fast, and behaves 100% like a 3-axis, it keeps going until you give a new control input. So you have to be alert all the time, and dialing in some expo didn't do it for me, it felt less connected with extra expo. Still wondering why mine doesn't behave like a 6-axis, maybe it's the setting of the pot on the receiver, that tunes the behavior between strong self correction, or more loose?

Bigger batteries would be an option, but won't this put more strain on the motor? Though I could opt for replacing the motor with the Super CP one, if the stock motor burns out. Is the Super CP motor a direct fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The Super CP is 3 axis only as well. It flies almost identical to a Mini CP with the Genius motor. If you want something more stable and different, you can consider the V120D02S.
I thought the Super CP was 6 axis, but seems I read that wrong, it's listed as 3-axis, just like the Mini. Apparently only the Genius CP V2 is 6-axis, but it has the drawback of having the skids and frame being one piece. Is it possible to swap the frame for the Mini CP one? If so, a BnF Genius V2 would be the best of both worlds, perhaps.

A bigger heli will have benefits, but also be less portable. I have a nice case that fits the MiniCP, and should also fit the other Walkera helis perfectly, and it would be nice if I would be able to keep that.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,376 Posts
The Super CP and Mini CP frames are identical. The Genius CP has a much weaker frame and was probably discontinued much earlier. You may have trouble in finding parts for it.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Apr 27, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:49 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,039 Posts
Genius first version has 3 axis and six axis. Little switches on board let you change it. Most ignored music wire mod to skids and broke frames on these. I did do mod and never broke a frame after that. Genius Version 2 was more expensive and not sure if available anymore. Super and Mini have same frame.
V120D02s was nicer than any of them but bigger. Bl motor and shaft drive tail. nice flyer but not as durable.
Bigger battery may make heli not as touchy to control, but I never found Mini touchy at all. even bl. If touchy on flying around TX is not set right. End points sound way off.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:37 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
Most problems with the MiniCP for me are the short flight times, and that it can quickly get away from you. With the dark color canopy that makes it difficult to spot where it is heading, and to determine the proper counter move with the sticks. Maybe a more brightly colored canopy will help there.

When it's hovering a metre away from me, I have full control, it doesn't feel twitchy, but very smooth, at least tail in and side. Nose in is more tricky. When it starts moving, and moving fast, the problems start.

That's why I was considering a 6 axis, you can just let go, and it will come to stop on it's own, giving me time to assess where it is heading, and regain control.

I think my ideal heli would need to have 6 axis, with decent transmitter, and good flight times. How about any HiSky offering?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:05 AM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,275 Posts
Hello SoloPro

I think I remember you from your posts a few years ago

I know the reason you started this thread is to get 6-axis heli recommendations. I can't offer 6-axis heli info other than what's already been posted, especially since I've never flown a 6-axis heli; however, from reading your posts in this thread, it appears you're still trying to master orientation training, and are experiencing the same problems I had when I started. I decided to write this post because it may be able to help provide some guidance with your orientation training.

I bought the Mini a few years ago, shortly after it first became available. It was my first CP. It is a nice heli. Compared to the closest Blade equivalent (the Nano), the Mini is easier to control, and with a few modifications about as durable as the Nano outside in the open over grass.

By the time I got the Mini, I could fly all my FP's (mSR, CB100, V120D01) in my living room in all possible orientations. Once I got my Mini, I started flying outside because it (and every other CP I've flown since) can easily handle wind, and also because I was bored with 2D flights and needed the extra space to start practicing flips, and inverted circuits.

Since your posts in this thread states your Mini easily hovers hands free, I'll assume there's nothing wrong with your Mini, and if there's anything wrong then it's probably all due to pilot error.

If you've never adjusted the Mini's pot, then that may be your biggest problem? The Mini's pot setting has a tremendous effect with how the Mini reacts to TX stick movements. This post tries to explain it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2635

Once you adjust the pot to your liking so it behaves how you like it the most, then I recommend adjusting D/R and Expo to your liking. Your posts sound like you know what they are and how they effect flight, so I won't comment about them.

Once the Mini's pot, D/R and Expo are adjusted to your liking, then the only things remaining are pilot flight training. This is the training program I recommend: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11

Finally, until you start flying inverted, probably the most difficult flight maneuver to perform is a turn/pirouette, especially when the heli is facing nose-in. This post will probably explain why it is difficult, and how to do it better: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11210

All my heli can only fly from 5 to 3 minutes depending how aggressive I fly them. Typically, if I fly them slowly they all can fly about 5 minutes; whereas if I fly them fast and stick-bang them doing 3D maneuvers then the same heli will only be able fly about 3 minutes. The only way I'm able to get longer flight times, is to land and replace the LiPo (at the risk of overheating the Motor(s)), or replace the heli.

If you want the longest flight times, then you should consider a Simulator. If a person could only afford two "heli's", then I'd recommend 1 heli plus 1 Simulator, and I recommend first learning the maneuver on the Simulator before attempting it with the heli.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:03 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,039 Posts
i812 very good post. I learned to fly c/p with Genius version one. bought another lader and did music wire mod. both are on original frames. Point kinda soft spot for Genius, but Mini is better. With bl kit offered from WK flys almost as good as Nano CP-X bl.
Mcp-X V1/ V2 are fine helis. To be honest a little more work to keep them happy. Nano CP-X bl has no equal in this size and most 100's. T-Rex 150/ Balde Mcp-X bl more gusto but 2X+ more mola. ]$$] HCP-100s is kinda kit heli as buy lots of main gears etc. Friend bought one and been flying three + years and head flew apart midair. Hi [low] Sky QC out the window. Pushed this heli out before its time.
If ya can not fly a Mini c/p then either TX/RX is out of sync.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
United Arab Emirates
Joined Dec 2014
460 Posts
I get 5 mins of hovering my scp around (no 3d), Its stable, But my v120 is much more stable, however it has the problem of being less durable, and a crash breaks the TT tail almost everytime, I think you should try deviation and the v977.....
NoLimitRC is offline Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:28 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a BnF SuperCP. Just as spare bird. Meanwhile I got a new servo coming for the Mini, maybe the servo was already being a bit wacky earlier, as I do remember that sometimes after power up, the servo would go to full negative. A new powerup usually cured that, so I thought it was just a bug somewhere, but looking back, it may have been the pitch servo being bad from the start. And that may have caused me to feel less comfortable flying it.

I got my Genius CP canopy in, to help with visibility at distance, but it arrived cracked. Seller just put an envelope around the thin paper box that the canopy is in. So the box had some dents, and the canopy is damaged, as was to be expected. It can be used, if I tape it up, but I paid for a new one, and these are not cheap, considering it's just a flimsy piece of plastic, so I want a new one.

I got a Devo 7E coming my way, going to "deviate" it, a step towards one TX for most of my flying stuff, and maybe also add a module to control the V977. The stock TX of that heli is just too bulky and too sloppy for my liking. The Devo sticks have a much better feel, with more feedback on how far the stick is from center, so less chances on over compensating.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
United Arab Emirates
Joined Dec 2014
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a BnF SuperCP. Just as spare bird. Meanwhile I got a new servo coming for the Mini, maybe the servo was already being a bit wacky earlier, as I do remember that sometimes after power up, the servo would go to full negative. A new powerup usually cured that, so I thought it was just a bug somewhere, but looking back, it may have been the pitch servo being bad from the start. And that may have caused me to feel less comfortable flying it.

I got my Genius CP canopy in, to help with visibility at distance, but it arrived cracked. Seller just put an envelope around the thin paper box that the canopy is in. So the box had some dents, and the canopy is damaged, as was to be expected. It can be used, if I tape it up, but I paid for a new one, and these are not cheap, considering it's just a flimsy piece of plastic, so I want a new one.

I got a Devo 7E coming my way, going to "deviate" it, a step towards one TX for most of my flying stuff, and maybe also add a module to control the V977. The stock TX of that heli is just too bulky and too sloppy for my liking. The Devo sticks have a much better feel, with more feedback on how far the stick is from center, so less chances on over compensating.
Why not deviate your devo 6, Honestly the devo 10 would have been a better choice. How much did you get one for?. And the super cp canopy works on the gcp FYI.
NoLimitRC is offline Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
Old Apr 30, 2015, 02:26 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,212 Posts
I want to keep the 6 stock, as backup. The 7e was less than 60 shipped plus I like the smaller shape better than a full size transmitter. Also, the carrying case where I keep my MiniCP in, has only room for a transmitter in Devo 6/7e size.

I actually have a Super CP canopy coming as well, ordered it at the same time as the Genius canopy, to have a choice, see what I like best for visibility. It just didn't arrive yet. Servo is in the same order, so it doesn't matter much, without the servo I can't fly the Mini anyway...