New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Discussion
Gato sub I bought today

I bought a new toy today and thought I would share it with you. It is 64 inches long ,fiberglass hull teak decks, Interesting setup. I will follow up with more pictures later.
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by herrmill
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,696 Posts
Nice!
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:00 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
sub

It is a static diver and has a soda bottle for a flooding chamber. Only designed to submerge to the conning tower. Has an over flow on top of the periscope. I haven't tried it as the ponds are frozen. It uses a nitro geared fuel pump to flood the chamber and to dump it. It came with a futaba t7chp radio but it is setup mode 1 (nada) I am going to change it to an airtronics vg 600 that I have modified the flap switch to have center off down, fill up, empty. throttle on the left (self centering) steering on the right, diving planes on the right. so far. Two 6 volt gel cells proboat speed control (It is going) twin what appear to be speed 400 drive motors.
Bob
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by redboat219
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts
Do you need the soda bottle ( 2 liters I assume ) tank to fill completely to dive?
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:23 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
bottle

I believe it is a 20 oz bottle. I haven't done any testing yet but I bet it will need to be full. There are sure a lot of screws to hold the cover on, as the entire hull is the water tight compartment. The intake is under the bottle through the hull.
Bob
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:46 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts
20 oz= 591ml.

Isn't it kinda small for something big and with a dry hull?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:51 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
bottle

It might be little bigger but I don't think its 32 oz and the sub isn't designed to totally submerge
Bob
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by tchalfant
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
491 Posts
Then it isn't a static diving sub, it is a dynamic diving sub. Meaning, it will need forward motion to submerge completely. A static diving sub can completely submerge without any forward motion.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:07 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
sub

Semi-Static? LOL
I have been playing with the sub this morning, changing the radio control setup to my liking, and Yes for the most part it will be a surface runner. I should be able to sit still and submerge down to periscope depth and if I wanted to be brave, run it like that. I have to buy a matching dive plane servo for the rear planes as there is a big lag in their operation compared to the forward planes. I added the spring setup to the transmitter so it self centers the throttle (on the left stick). I replaced and set the ballast pump to operate on the gear switch and it works, but I think I am going to put a better switch in the sub. What is in there now is a cheap plastic toggle switch, that appears worn out. One of the questions I have is should I replace the seal on the deck, as I don't have any idea of its age and what to replace it with?
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Dec 20, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by tchalfant
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
491 Posts
Bob,
The Gato is one of my favorite subs. I have not worked with a box type setup. All of my subs have tubes as a water tight container. Well that is not 100% true! I have a very old sub that has a box setup and it had a cork gasket packed with petroleum jelly (It is not running yet). There are others here that can speak up with a lot more authority than I on this topic, but I will throw out some thoughts that I have read or used (on non sub seals).
On a underwater camera, I used a sheet of rubber, trimmed to shape. It works real well. I have read of guys using silicon caulking and making a seal that way too. They pipe the silicon down and grease up the top and tighten it down until there is good contact. It is not tightened all the way down, just enough to make good contact and even seal. Then when complexly dried it is removed and many will grease up the surface. Be careful of the grease you use. There is also a weather strip that some use. So, again hopefully a more knowledgeable one speaks up to help.
Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Last edited by tchalfant; Dec 21, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:17 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,504 Posts
Gato battery charging

I have a silly question for you sub guys. If this sub is all buttoned up and you charge the batteries, (Charging is from the outside) is it not an explosion hazard if you run the brushed motors? Gel cells
Bob
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:47 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts
Several years ago I remember seeing a post about a modeler who forgot to vent his WTC while charging the batteries. When he pushed the throttle there was an loud explosion- BOOM!!!
Last edited by redboat219; Dec 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:55 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts
Here's the link: http://www.u552.com/page6ang.html
Last edited by redboat219; Dec 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:04 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
920 Posts
Hope that answers your question...
Last edited by redboat219; Dec 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
272 Posts
Battery charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
I have a silly question for you sub guys. If this sub is all buttoned up and you charge the batteries, (Charging is from the outside) is it not an explosion hazard if you run the brushed motors? Gel cells
Bob
That's something that has always concerned me.My subs are designed with the battery mounted externally to the WTC with their own sealed compartment.This allows removal for charging.Maybe if you can't do that modify the lid with a forced air vent system that could be easily resealed after charging.Small air pumps are readily available.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719