Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by Norrad
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
126 Posts
Discussion
New Mini APM 2.5.2 From Hobby King

I've been looking for an AutoPilot for a smallish flying wing that I am building and just noticed the New HKPilot Mega Mini from Hobby King. All the features of the full-size APM crammed into 8 grams. Really affordable at under $80

Find it here: HKPilot Mega Mini Flight Controller and Autopilot

Another size view:

Looks like a great way to create autonomous mini aircraft and multirotors.
Norrad is offline Find More Posts by Norrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by bmw330i
David1
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,478 Posts
Nice, anyone flown with one yet?
bmw330i is offline Find More Posts by bmw330i
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by jhtitan
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
568 Posts
I saw this today also and was wondering if anyone tried it out yet and what their thoughts were.

I was looking for a controller for a 250 size quad copter.
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Mar 29, 2014, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by LN-JET
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
153 Posts
I have one, but have not flown it yet. I have installed Arduplane, and will do the first tests in a Bixler before I put it in a larger electric glider. I wish for a small gps -mag unit to match it. The ap weighs 10 grams, but my external mag and gps weighs 18 grams.
Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Apr 04, 2014, 01:40 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
153 Posts
I have flown the Bixler a couple of auto missions today. Found parameters from the 3dr guys, and did not have to tune a bit. Flew beautiful.
I have just strapped a 6ch jeti rx on top of the mini apm, with some felt in between, which also covers the barometer. Next I will try a Jeti Rsat2 and cppm, for a very compact setup
Old Apr 05, 2014, 04:09 AM
Find More Posts by Goody63
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
I have flown the Bixler a couple of auto missions today. Found parameters from the 3dr guys, and did not have to tune a bit. Flew beautiful.
I have just strapped a 6ch jeti rx on top of the mini apm, with some felt in between, which also covers the barometer. Next I will try a Jeti Rsat2 and cppm, for a very compact setup
Good work

I've got one to put into the HK FPV250 quad but will be a while before I get around to building it.

Still trying to get my head around the normal sized 3DR/APM/ARDUPILOT FC!!

A couple of guys over on the Hobby King site have put together this very helpful wiring guide.
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Apr 05, 2014, 02:20 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
A couple of guys over on the Hobby King site have put together this very helpful wiring guide.
I see my name a couple of places on that guide :-)
To day I flew with a Jeti Rsat2, and can confirm that cppm works.

Lars
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:06 AM
Find More Posts by j0bro
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
PPM how to?

Hi guys,

How can I enable PPM on this board?

There are 4 solder pads near the input connectors that have the "PPMEN" marking next to them. 1 of them seems to be connected to IN3 via a 1K resistor, two other ones are connected to GND and the 4th I don't know. I tried to read the PCB file but it is too cluttered to make out the details.

Normally, a jumper is placed on IN2 and IN3 to get PPM enabled on IN1, as is documented here. I don't see a connection to IN2 here so any help is appreciated!
j0bro is offline Find More Posts by j0bro
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:50 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
153 Posts
ppm enable: top middle of picture you have a set of pads, ch5, ppm,ppm. Solder the two upper, and remove trace between the two lower. Then use ch5 as input. Worked on mine!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by j0bro
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Ahh that explains, thanks very much! So these pads near the inputs are quite misleading then I guess. Will report back if it works!

Edit: in the meantime I got it working by just soldering two wires into a loop and connect IN2 and IN3 with them, just like the documentation explains using the jumper. I find it strange that for this HKPilot Mini they chose to have CH5 as PPM input, since it requires you to have two connectors on the board, one for GND and +5V and one for CH5 only.
Last edited by j0bro; Apr 14, 2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
153 Posts
I see others have bridged 2&3, and using 1 for the input. Maybe try that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0bro View Post
Ahh that explains, thanks very much! So these pads near the inputs are quite misleading then I guess. Will report back if it works!

Edit: in the meantime I got it working by just soldering two wires into a loop and connect IN2 and IN3 with them, just like the documentation explains using the jumper. I find it strange that for this HKPilot Mini they chose to have CH5 as PPM input, since it requires you to have two connectors on the board, one for GND and +5V and one for CH5 only.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by j0bro
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
I see others have bridged 2&3, and using 1 for the input. Maybe try that?
Yes that's what I replied ;-)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by planex
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,545 Posts
I've got one of these on order, along with a MinimOSD v1.1. Can anyone confirm if it comes with the cables/connector required to connect the MinimOSD to the board?

Thanks
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by j0bro
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex View Post
I've got one of these on order, along with a MinimOSD v1.1. Can anyone confirm if it comes with the cables/connector required to connect the MinimOSD to the board?

Thanks
Confirmed.

It comes with a bundle of cables that have the connector for the HKPilot mini on one side and solder ends on the other, for the OSD you just need to remove the 4 leads from the 5-pin standard telemetry connector and plug them back into the supplied 4-pin connector (from which you need to remove the wires).

Use the HKPilot Mega Mini Wiring Guide to check the pinout. You need to match this to the pinout of the standard APM 2.5.2 board, which can be found here (mind that you are looking at the bottom). Look in the upper right corner to see the "UART0/2" labels of GND, RX, TX and +5V.

It's an easy mod, since it's the only solderless one

Edit: Oh and if you don't have a telemetry cable yet you need to take the 4-wire telemetry cable that comes with the HKPilot Mini and solder a 6-pin connector to it (or use 2 servo connectors).
Last edited by j0bro; Apr 22, 2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by planex
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,545 Posts
Thanks for the info j0bro

I am looking to fit my board onto a TBS Caipirinha wing.

Look forward to getting it setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0bro View Post
Confirmed.

It comes with a bundle of cables that have the connector for the HKPilot mini on one side and solder ends on the other, for the OSD you just need to remove the 4 leads from the 5-pin standard telemetry connector and plug them back into the supplied 4-pin connector (from which you need to remove the wires).

Use the HKPilot Mega Mini Wiring Guide to check the pinout. You need to match this to the pinout of the standard APM 2.5.2 board, which can be found here (mind that you are looking at the bottom). Look in the upper right corner to see the "UART0/2" labels of GND, RX, TX and +5V.

It's an easy mod, since it's the only solderless one

Edit: Oh and if you don't have a telemetry cable yet you need to take the 4-wire telemetry cable that comes with the HKPilot Mini and solder a 6-pin connector to it (or use 2 servo connectors).
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex