HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
217 Posts
Question
Pushing Motor to Limit - Is esc likely to also Fail

I am flying the Parkzone P-47 with stock PZ 15 motor, 4s2200, 9x7.5E prop and 45 amp esc.

Max amps:37 Watts:580 watts

Being winter there have been no heat issues. Also, the specs on that motor are a bit murky. The similair E-flite Power 15 is rated at 575 watts and 4 cell usage.

I don't mind the risk of damaging this motor as long as the control surfaces work, allowing a dead stick landing. So, if I throw a magnet or experience life ending damage to this motor will the esc survive for a dead stick landing?
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:30 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,467 Posts
In theory, probably yes.

But that's a bit like asking, if I buy a model plane will I crash it.

There could be a few, 'it depends'. The BEC built into an ESC is sort of independent of the motor power side, but if the power side went up in flames then.......

On 4s, I assume the BEC is a switching one designed for 4s, (many 2s-3s ESC's used a linear BEC that is not suitable for 4s), then I should be fine.

Whatever is used, in whatever model, some cooling air over the ESC, (and motor/battery), is always a good thing.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,455 Posts
If motor gives out - as long as it doesn't short the power ... the ESC should be ok. But trouble is usually the motor giving out does short and ESC cannot handle that.
As other guy says - BEC is separate from the motor power - but still on same board .. so burning out power side often hits BEC as well.

Now I'm going to type something that is controversial ... I use many ESC's with 4S and I have never had any problem. It's only recently after so many keep posting about BEC and 4S that I started to really look closely at the ESC etc.

I run models with 4 .. 5 servos (mostly 9gr) 3S ... 4S ... with inbuilt BEC ... any control issues ? No.

But my 5S - I do run separate BEC without question.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife