HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Guys, keep in mind there are some great pilots who throw with an upward throwing angle. As long as the plane of the swing stays consistent what angle it is whould not matter at all.

David, if I may be so bold? I would suggest you try rolling your shoulder forward slightly to help keep your arm extended, this also sets your arm back giving you more "time on tow", but don't change the angle.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,484 Posts
I'm thinking some type of netting like a batting cage or a golf net and throwing a modified 2x4 with a throwing peg on one end. I do think I get my best launches with an upward type launch. That being said I will be modifying my initiation and keep my hand below my head and more level to the release. I got to think more in the lines of baseball not golf.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,862 Posts
Dont go chucking wood... thats no fun. Keep doing the videos and throwing your airplane. Also, lets hear a new soundtrack.... I like this one too. Bruno and the boys in brazil...

How could you not launch well with that groove playing in your brain? Or maybe its the facial hair...I dunno.... Im looking to address all the variables for you...

F3K Training - Slow Motion tests (2 min 11 sec)

You also might note that Bruno has a little hop in his pivot foot before planting. He generates a ton of power with this very simple plant that barely leave the ground.

BTW-" best title for a thread" award nomination to you.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by M Seid; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,484 Posts
Very nice video. The multiple angles realy shows a lot of detail. Now can I do that with my 57 year old airframe?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
He's even wearing full length pants....

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
I do think I get my best launches with an upward type launch.
If one successfully did 10 launches, each with different motions, as if you were 10 different people, the highest launch is still not an indication that the motions used for that launch are the most potential for you or anyone else. Until you "perfect" a particular style of launch (e.g. launching upward vs. throwing flat) you will not know what it's potential for your body is. Throwing upward might get you better initial results and vice versa for a different approach. But, after correct and sufficient practice at both styles, the one initially better may be surpassed by the initially worse one. I'm being too wordy....

In a nutshell: short term improvements from experimentation are not always good indicators of the best choice for a particular person.

Other random thoughts on the subject:

1) I am inclined to think that videos of various pilots launching without launch heights shown, isn't that meaningful for seeking to improve one's launches, except for ideas to try. Even if launch heights were shown for each launch, different factors such as body type, strength, flexibility, or effort exerted would still cloud proper assessment: e.g. what if dude A launched lower than dude B and they both launched differently. To think that the motions that dude B used were better because of launch height does not address the possibility that dude B might have been exerting himself much more than dude A, and if dude A had used equal effort, his launch would have been higher. That is why I like Jun's launches so much: much less effort for the launch height than someone else that might have launched a tad higher. The mechanics makes sense as well. However, aside from his good coordination and efficiency, I'm not saying his particular motions are the best way to go (although I do think so just kidding) If one can launch with the same speed, smooth release (that is, no hooking) at a higher angle, the launch will be higher. The point by some against throwing upward is that you can't get that as much speed at too high of an angle because of body mechanics. Blah, blah, I'm sure you all know this: I'm just in a type-y mood.

2) Is throwing something heavy really going to help you better than throwing you glider? don't know. Just a suspicion.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Oct 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Check your follow through: Without a plane, rotate, release, and follow through so that your throwing arm contacts the face. Remember that contact, and try to duplicate it during launch. If you're kissing the wrist instead of the shoulder joint or the upper arm, then you're bending the elbow and simply heaving the plane.

I like that checking criteria
JamesCH is offline Find More Posts by JamesCH
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
T Z
Joined Dec 2004
90 Posts
Dave,

After you get your speakers setup on the field, and are playing either Metallica or Brazilian Samba at inspiring levels, take the time to set up a nice, momentary elevator switch. To me, it looks like you're physically and mentally trying to "will" and steer the plane upwards. When you get the preset right, you just swing fast, hard, and smooth, and let the preset "think" about the plane.

In setting up the preset, set the AMOUNT of up elevator preset on a rotary knob, you can also set how quickly the elevator comes off after you release the switch – on a knob, and set the launch camber too. Make all these parameters quickly adjustable so you can launch and tweak, launch and tweak, over and over. The goal is to get your radio preset setup to suit YOU and your body, not vice versa. You want to get your body to move in its smoothest and most powerful way relative to its own range of motion - launching either horizontally, or a slight up angle is ok, but you want to stay in the "wheelhouse" range of your body’s power - and then let the preset do what is best for the plane. You do need to keep tweaking though until the marriage is right, then you just fire away, and the preset will translate your great motion into the right action for the plane. All, IMHO of course
Best,
Tom
T Z is offline Find More Posts by T Z
Last edited by T Z; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,484 Posts
I have a preset and I think it helps a lot getting the ship to rotate while still in my hands. Hopefully we will get some dry weather sometime in the next 8 months
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Ryan Gonsoulin
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined May 2009
296 Posts
If you don't see the plane out of your left eye while rotating, you are not throwing hard enough

Ryan
Ryans Rebel is offline Find More Posts by Ryans Rebel
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,484 Posts
I wish I could say I have seen the illusive wing tip from my left eye but no I have never seen it. I do throw very hard however I have not yet blown up a plane I've built. I'm not to sure how much more my body can twist up but I will be testing that and I'll be turning my head much more to the left in an effort to get the rest of my old frame to twist (and to see if I can see the illusive tip). If and when I ever get a chance to get out and throw again I'll come back and tell all.