HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2007, 05:04 PM
Joined May 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
dynamite vision peak ultra

I am new to this and decided to get a battery charger that should charge anything. I purchased the dynamite vision peak ultra. Was this a good choice? Why does my lipo charger and battery have 3 leads and this charger only two, it is supposed to do lipos? How do I get tips that will work with the batteries I have? Like I said, I am new and can't figure this out.
cdavi001 is offline Find More Posts by cdavi001
Last edited by cdavi001; May 19, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2007
3 Posts
no one has any insight??
Old May 20, 2007, 08:39 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Hmmm... I'm sure someone with more experience with chargers will chime in but I believe that the three wire connector your describing on your batteries is the balancing plug. Your charger is designed to charge a battery through the red and black cables where you'd normally connect your ESC.

You might want to consider buying a balancing device for the type of batteries you use. Thunderpower makes one as do half a dozen different manufacturers. The problem with balancing connectors is that there are 3 or 4 different types out there and if you use a variety of batteries from different manufacturers you'll need adapters for all of these batteries to the balancing device you purchase.

Or you can continue to use the charger you have. What will happen over time is that the cells in the Lipo's will get out of balance. One cell will have a little less voltage than the others when you put it on the charger. As this kind of charger is reading the overall pack voltage it will likely put a little bit too much voltage into one or two of the cells and leave the third cell with a little less voltage. Charging them this way 20-30 times will result in a pack that's pretty severly out of balance. At that point you might have a cell that's down around 4.05V at "full" charge. This can be prevented by balancing the cells on each charge...

Anyway, that's the little bit that I know about charging batteries. I made it idiot proof on myself by buying an FMA CellPro charger, the breakout board for thunderpower and polyquest balancing connectors and a couple of adapters for JST to Polyquest. This lets me balance charge all of the batteries I currently have that have balancing connectors on them. I also purchased enough FMA pigtails to wire up the few batteries that don't have balancing connectors, though I haven't gotten around to doing this.

Chris
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old May 21, 2007, 06:31 AM
Cranston RI USA
Joined Feb 2004
85 Posts
I have been using this charger for about 2 years and love it after picking it up from my LHS. Never had any problems with it. I dont hear too much about it on the boards, dont really understand why though.

Highly recommended.
bell1684 is offline Find More Posts by bell1684
Old May 23, 2007, 05:20 PM
Joined May 2007
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I think I am starting to figure it out.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:34 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
just grab a blinky or similar off board balancer thats what I did with my MRC superbrain
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Jun 08, 2007, 10:53 AM
Whitby, Ontario
Joined Feb 2006
368 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that if you unplug the charger with the battery still attached, the fan stays on?

I accidentally set a 3-cell lipo to charge as NiMH (oops) and it got to 12.79V before I caught it. I'm using the fan in the charger to trickle-discharge the battery back to 12.4

The fan pulls about 120ma
HowardSmith is offline Find More Posts by HowardSmith
Old Jun 08, 2007, 11:28 AM
Cranston RI USA
Joined Feb 2004
85 Posts
Yeah I noticed the same thing about the fan running after the charger is unplugged.

Lucky you caught your mistake before something bad happened!!!!
bell1684 is offline Find More Posts by bell1684