HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2005, 06:15 PM
goin' postal on my heli..
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
Yippee!
my curiosity will get me killed....and a few questions about DD tail motors

Ok...so finally my dad hands out my repair parts after forcing me to clean up my room
Of course Im psyched and first take out the DD motor...
now that thing is huge compared to the stock one...its the same diameter but way longer....so it has this cable that it came with(BTW its GWS)
and a male plug with 2 pins. The 2 propellers that came with it are tiny compared to my old stock tail rotor(half the size )
Anyways...I was wondering(I do that a lot )...my lipo has this female plug and they would perfectly fit...so I pushed in the rotor it came with and plug it into my lipo....
Oh boy
the thing roard up and the rotor rocketed up like a bullet!
lol lol lol
Next time I pushed the rotor in harder and firmer and made sure it would stay
on.....plug it in again....holy s hit!!! that little piece had so much force I could have used it as a vent and you could have stood 15 ft away from me and still feel the brise
I figured I should stop right away after it began to warm up quickly....
wont be doing that again
Anyways here are my questions..
How did you install your direct drive?,
how do detach the plastic motor mount and stick(that acts like a vertical fin) without damaging the boom?,
can I just use the wire I had for the stock tail motor and cut it at the end and melt it to the little wire of the DD motor?

Thank you for reading and an answers or comments
Lino
Lino is offline Find More Posts by Lino
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2005, 05:36 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,637 Posts
Installed mine on my Hummer V2 by dremmeling out the original mount a bit, the mount should slide off after you release the CA (the glue cracked off mine when twisting it), yes you can use the old motor wire.
Also you could get a GWS heat sink for it, and if you drill the end of the motor mount through you can slid it on backwards and still use the tail stick and it will blow over itself and keep itself cool (you will need to reverse the power wires)
Hope this helps
E
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Feb 09, 2005, 09:11 AM
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
yep it does but Its hard to visualize what your saying....but I can figure it out...
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:57 PM
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
Ok....im having a hard time with the mount...it just wont come off the bom and i even think the boom snapped lengthwise as i twisted it too far
I was hoping the glue would crack off but it just doesnts
can anyone help me?
thanx
Old Feb 09, 2005, 05:49 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lino
Ok....im having a hard time with the mount...it just wont come off the bom and i even think the boom snapped lengthwise as i twisted it too far
I was hoping the glue would crack off but it just doesnts
can anyone help me?
thanx
I presume you have a replacement mount - such as Like90's or the nice alu PMP mount otherwise you can just leave the original mount in place and use cable ties to secure the dd motor in place.

To remove the original plastic mount you could try CA remover gel which is great stuff if it can actually reach the CA'd bits. I found that it didn't help at all in removing the plastic tail mount. In the end I simply took a pair of wire cutters and nibbled away at the plastic. Once I made a couple of cuts it broke away quite easily. Alternatively remove the tail motor wiring and hack saw it off.

As far as re-attaching the wires to the DD motor you need a soldering iron and solder....you know this right? - you can't just "melt the wires".
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Last edited by tikaboo; Feb 09, 2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:41 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
48 Posts
I used a heat gun on mine..Get it nice and hot then pull and twist at the same time.. Should come right off.
zman12000 is offline Find More Posts by zman12000
Old Feb 09, 2005, 06:48 PM
Glastonbury CT
Joined Jan 2005
418 Posts
sorry....but read your post after I burnt off the mount from the CF boom
it distorted and I just pulled it off
BTW...i now installed the DD fin and the motor, I now just have to install the blade
how do you install this
anyone have any idea
i also read here that it doesnt work
whats your guys input...as i didnt use it yet i dont want to until i know its safe
thanx guys