HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:05 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,812 Posts
A flight is just a big hop!
Takeoffs ARE easy, you just need to trust your equipment and your experience (I'm talking about your experience HJ, not mine!!). Landings are much easier than LOS too, just pick a close and a far landmark and land between them. The trickiest part is that sometimes it's hard to tell how high you are, especially on the flat featureless beach. I'm not sure an OSD would help much there, I'm sure you would rely on your instincts much more than instruments at the final stage of landings, don't forget that these are not expensive well calibrated instruments either, just cheap Chinese electronics.
I'm more and more off the idea of an OSD, except for interest value or low visibility flight. Your in the air, above the ground, approx alt by visual, you can tell power by the pitch of the engine and if your controls get mushy then you might be close to stalling and should increase airspeed. You should know your position by landmarks and wind speed and direction by visual cues (unless there are clouds and then you need instruments).
I loved your FPV video HJ because it showed exactly what a high wind looks like from the plane! Every time you banked you could see exactly the wind speed and direction, I don't think crosswind landings are hard either (though I'm not any kid of experienced flier), just point your nose where it needs to be to keep that far landmark coming at you straight!
It's bizarre that flying with all these electronics is like pioneer flight but in flying by video you really 'feel' the aircraft, not through the feel of the stick but the difference in feedback between your sticks and the video feed.
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:24 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,389 Posts
Tks Matty.... some very good input there for me......and with those flying tips.

I am also impressed by your observations of wind sense from my vid angles while flying...... I did not think about that in the "feel of things" up there in the assessment.

Looks good outside now...... 0830 ..... am tempted to fly....
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 02, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:03 PM
United States, WA, Goldendale
Joined Apr 2012
210 Posts
Can someone tell me if a 5000mah 4S battery will fit easily in this plane?
gva1956 is online now Find More Posts by gva1956
Last edited by gva1956; Jan 11, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:29 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956 View Post
Can someone tell me if a 5000mah 4S battery will fit easily in this plane?
I am using 4S 3300mah now ...Turnigy NanoTech type...... that give me easily 20 minutes flight time with a safe reserve to return for landing, with conservative power settings of 50 to 70% ...average at 65% most of the time.

Not sure about your 5000mAh...my measurements for the 3300 packs were near the limit of the length available inside the fuselage to accommodate and keep the CG where you want it to be.
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
I recognise a few names here. :-)

I've been looking at this one for a little while and one came up secondhand locally and I jumped at it. Picked it up tonight. The owner was an old guard scratch builder. He has some magnificent box plane models. Well he'd modified the Fly Baby fixing it up which I'm quite pleased about and look forward to flying it. I see the CoG is 60-65m which he confirmed to with the various mods.
Griphin is offline Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
What props are people using with the stock motor? I have a 11x5.5 on at the moment but it isn't the original I don't think.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
No one? What a same I really like the golden era planes. I'm thinking of using a 12x7 prop with 2800mAH 4S 30C as I have a wooden one. The model seems pretty heavy and I've been told the wing loading it high so to keep the speed up.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:18 PM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,812 Posts
Sorry, I can't really help you, the website doesn't even say what the stock prop is, you could check eCalc?
I don't fly one but I've flown patterns with one: there's some air to air footage at about 2 minutes.
Sunday Sunset (5 min 7 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
Thanks Matty. Hard to know what the flight performance was or what setup they had.
Stock prop is a 11x6x2. Reading though the thread it's good for scale flight but little extra overhead grunt. Previous owner said much the same thing.

I happen to have a wooden 12x7 in my box'o'props so I might try that until I get a selection on others. I've ready changed the ESC out for the larger one I had spare which had the right connections for me.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:38 PM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,812 Posts
Do you know the stats of the stock motor? The bigger prop doesn't sound much bigger but it is a heavy plane and will never be a high performance airframe no matter the motor prop combo. I'm pretty sure the only way you'll find out is to fly it and see, at least you know it won't scream off into the distance and that it will have enough power to climb to a comfortable altitude.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
Stock motor is 600kv. Others have reported long flight times with similar 2800mAH 4S batteries I'll be using flying scale so I'm not too worried about that. No if I need high performance I'll use one of my warbirds or my sbach.
This is for cruising.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
Several flights now. Currently using a Zippy compact 4000mAh 25C 4S battery and a 13x7 speed wooden prop. Much happier with it now. Has some air authority while still a cruising model. Just put in new 60A ESC to cover the now 40A draw at WOT on takeoff. Not that you need WOT.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
73 Posts
Fly Baby Maiden with 3300Mah 4 Cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcNjN...7EQud9IcuvTaow
gazzazh is offline Find More Posts by gazzazh
Last edited by gazzazh; Oct 06, 2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: trying to embed youtube video
Old Oct 07, 2014, 01:20 PM
It's never done that before...
Joined Aug 2012
77 Posts
I need this! Maybe somebody will do a scratch build???
Rclover23549 is online now Find More Posts by Rclover23549
Old Oct 07, 2014, 04:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,149 Posts
Plans for it around. If u want a balsa version get the one which HK sell