HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 06:21 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,796 Posts
Thanks for that info. I guess the easiest way to say it is that the VTOL Trainer is more appealing to me for subjective reasons.
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Thanks for that info. I guess the easiest way to say it is that the VTOL Trainer is more appealing to me for subjective reasons.
By all means, do what you like and have fun.

Be advised, fixed pitch tilt rotors are an inherent compromise between the low prop pitch that is needed to hover, and the higher prop pitch that would be best for forward flight. As a result, they tend to spin fast and require a higher throttle setting in forward flight. The resulting loss of efficiency limits flight times. SLT types don't have this limitation because they use separate props for lift and forward flight. One way or another, everything is a compromize though.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:15 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,796 Posts
Interesting. I am not active in this VTOL portion of the forum, but I will assume some are looking at tackling this issue with variable pitch props. But for me, maybe another future project...

Thanks for the info. The local 3d print was cost prohibitive. At shapeways you can get the 4 motor mount systems for under $100 based on my mockup.. Not bad, if your time and access to tools prohibit making aluminum mounts. Of course someone would have to go through some revisions I'm sure to get them just right.
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X