HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:19 PM
RC Junkie
United States, NC, Kinston
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Help!
Need to know the set up for a Hydro Plane Foamie.

I am building a Hydroplane out of 3mm depron foam. I am 3/4 through the build and am at the point where I must decide what motor, ESC, Prop, Battery, I must or can use. I am at a blank as I have never built this craft before. Any ideas on what would be a good set up for pushing this thing?
SHoffman1971 is offline Find More Posts by SHoffman1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:32 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,176 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups. For these sort of problems you'll need to provide a lot more information to get useful help - more info about the problem is always better than less.

Do you have an idea, eg from the build instructions how much power you need?

Is there a constraint on prop size, and if so, what prop size will fit?

Is there a weight constraint on the power system, whether motor or battery or both?

If you have limited clues on the above, what about at least the lifting surface area and expected weight?

If you can fill in some of the blanks, I'm sure you'll end up getting several useful options
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:02 PM
RC Junkie
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Ok. I think that AUW should be about 220g. However, seeing as its not going to fly, that weight can be refigured. I would like a 2:1 thrust ratio. There were no other descriptions in the plans. This is all I know. I am really flying by the seat of my pants on this build. Never built one before and trying to get ideas from others who might have built one and what the pros and cons were from some of their setups.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:45 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Where did you get the plans? I've been interested in making one of these since I destroyed my Airhogs version years ago. And now that I also know how to fly a plane
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoffman1971 View Post
Ok. I think that AUW should be about 220g. However, seeing as its not going to fly, that weight can be refigured. I would like a 2:1 thrust ratio. There were no other descriptions in the plans. This is all I know. I am really flying by the seat of my pants on this build. Never built one before and trying to get ideas from others who might have built one and what the pros and cons were from some of their setups.
So it's not going to fly, but presumably you are talking a prop pushing air, not water?

Unless you can tell us how big a prop will fit, we can't give you any more useful information.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:40 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,083 Posts
Big prop for air.. small prop for water.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
RC Junkie
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
from the ground to the nose is about 3.5". I was thinking a 9x4 prop with a 450 series brushless motor.

As for the plans, I got them from www.parkjet.com
You'll have to search from there for the typw of plan you want.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:31 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,176 Posts
9x4.5, 8x4, 8x6 will all be fine with a Turnigy Park 450-1200 on 3S, and will give you at least 700g static thrust.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
RC Junkie
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
I guess a 25amp ESC will be in order and a 2.4GHz Tx/Rx also. any idea on a good name to get for the tx/rx combo?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,176 Posts
Quote:
I guess a 25amp ESC will be in order and a 2.4GHz Tx/Rx also. any idea on a good name to get for the tx/rx combo?
That depends on where you are going with the hobby. If you have the bug, buy the best computer Tx with the most model memories you can afford - otherwise just buy a cheap combo from HK.. The Spektrum Dx7s is a not over the top example. I'm less familiar with the Futaba range, but really rate my 8FG. I would say both these are mid range radios, and capble of giving you on many years of service without being outgrown.

Go visit the radios forum - you'll get heaps more info and opinions over there, including on cheaper but more user modifiable options.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Quote:
from the ground to the nose is about 3.5". I was thinking a 9x4 prop with a 450 series brushless motor.

Thanks

Here is the link for the exact one I was looking for.. plans included on page
http://www.parkjets.com/hydro
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Last edited by whirlcap; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:47 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,176 Posts
Quote:

When the plans give a recommended setup, a good baseline is to stick with the recommended prop size, and match motor weight and Kv if you don't want to use the recommended motor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:19 PM
RC Junkie
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
When the plans give a recommended setup, a good baseline is to stick with the recommended prop size, and match motor weight and Kv if you don't want to use the recommended motor

scirocco,

The plans that I DL'd did not have any recommendations for motor, esc, prop, rx/tx and so forth. So I am really flying blind here.

And whirlcap, Those are the exact plans I have. keep in touch with me on your build I would like to see which way you go on it. Just to get some ideas, if you don't mind.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:25 PM
RC Junkie
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
The Plans that I had did not give any specs on this, just the plans. No build guide or anything. Just a link to a dead build guide that use to be up here.