SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2001, 11:20 AM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
Flying near airport...

OK, I work near John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA. There are a bunch of 15+ story buildings around a smallish grassy field.
If I were to fly my Zagi no more than about 50-75 feet up (like I normaly do), would they haul me off to Federal Prison (or fine me) for doing this?

I don't even think airplanes would see it. It's not in the landing path of 98% of the air traffic there. An occasional light plane will fly over near that area, but they are much higher up than the tallest building. I'd never even get that high. (No, I haven't flown there yet)

What do you think?

brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2001, 01:32 PM
West Chester, OH USA
Joined Jan 2000
1,052 Posts
Here's a quote from the AMA safety handbook that might be of some help:
"I will not fly my model higher than approximately 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. I will give right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft. Where necessary, an observer shall be utilized to supervise flying to avoid having models fly in the proximity of full-scale aircraft."

Regards,
Don

"
Don Leitz is offline Find More Posts by Don Leitz
Old Jul 17, 2001, 01:40 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
Awesome, Don. I guess I should have read that. I thought it was '3 miles...period'. Like no flying within 3 miles at all.

I'm safe. I'll give it a go in the AM and may have a new lunch-time site. My only issue is that the building windows 'look out at me' and lots of eyes makes me kind of nervous. Not that the buildings have eyes, the people in them.

Brian Christie
Old Jul 17, 2001, 01:51 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,050 Posts
Good God, don't fly anywhere near an active airport. You may not normally fly very high, but suppose there was a malfunction in your equipment and your plane went zooming off on it's own. Those big birds up ther have real live people in them and if your model ever struck a full size plane, God only knows what could happen. It doesn't take much to smash a windscreen in someone's face, or dammage a prop and shake the plane to pieces in a matter of seconds. Were talking human lives here. Get in your car and drive for 5 minutes and find another location to fly. Tom Smith, Contest Director, AMA 5953
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Jul 17, 2001, 01:56 PM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
Good point.
I guess if I want to fly at lunch I'll go to a park. The airport isn't open when I get to work so I may fly in the early AM.

BC
Old Jul 17, 2001, 03:55 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
Our club has just moved to the local county airport at the invitation of the airport operator and I am told by the officers that we have the blessing of AMA and the airport authority (governing body?) too. We fly with a spotter at all times and land if any full sized craft is in landing pattern or taking off. We stay on a taxi-way so we can get out of the way if necessary.

I flew there Sun. and Mon. Monday was much busier, about 5 full sized aircraft landed or took off. We were treated to a few quite shaky touch and goes also. Kinda fun watching a big T-34 take off.

I would not feel easy with this if it were a busy airport in a populated area but this is still pretty rural.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jul 17, 2001, 08:10 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Hi Brian,
JWA is open 24/7. The jets are limited by noise abaitment restrictions to 7am-11pm, but not so for the "putt-putts." Where are you thinking of flying? If you're thinking of the field off of the street between MacArthur and Jamboree (Kalmus?), that's directly below the pattern for 19L. BTW the pattern altitude for 19L is 850' with the field elevation being 53' MSL.

TPA isn't a constant, though. S.O.P. is to turn 15 degrees to heading 180 right after T.O., climb to 500' turn crosswind over Bristol, still climbing to 850'. Turn downwind while maintaining TPA to just abeam of the approach end of 19L. Start letting down to base leg (approx. 500-600'), continue letting down through base to final. Cross I-405 on short-final at about 100'. You would be surprised what you can see from the pattern.

If you need to fly before work, I suggest the end of Back Bay (at the end of short University Drive off of Irvine) where I work. There's a small hill which is perfect for slope/Zagi's.

I think if you checked with JWA, they won't let you fly, as they almost grounded the TMA Flyers (AMA club which flew off of the Tustin Marine Corps base) a couple of years back because some of their R/C pilots flew too high.

Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren (edited 07-17-2001).]
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jul 17, 2001, 09:50 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Come on guys. We're talking about a Zagi flying between 15 story buildings. I'll bet you couldn't hit an airplane with a Zagi if you tried. Seriously, don't fly it above the level of the buildings and you're fine. I think you'll more of a problem with the locals than you will with the airplane.

And yes, I'm a pilot so I'm not entirely uninformed.

-B
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jul 17, 2001, 10:06 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Diss:
And yes, I'm a pilot so I'm not entirely uninformed.
-B
Agreed, you're an informed pilot. Are you familar with the area Brian is referring to?

Daren
Old Jul 17, 2001, 10:24 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Just a quick 2 cents from this end. Many people (rc pilots) are amazed at how low 400 feet is. You can get there with a Zaggi real easy.

I think a light stick is more in order, but....

Unless you have a really deserted airport, a Zaggi is not the best of ideas. A bird strike (as in black bird, sparrow, hawk, TV, etc) can do major damage to a full scale plane.

Dave
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Jul 18, 2001, 12:18 AM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Well, its hard to say. I know the local airport I fly full scale planes out of doesn't allow R/C planes, but thats on airport property. I'd imaine it would be ok. Especially since there are other obstructions near by that cause the aircraft to be obove them. The only other thing to worry about is your radio, they could possible get mad at you for using that, even thought transmiters use a very low frequency. I myself would go anyways and just see what happens, probably nothing. If your still non sure, just contact one of the managers at the airport.

-Brett
In short keep it low and don't hit any planes!
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Jul 18, 2001, 01:00 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Brian,
If you want a field "relatively" close to John Wayne then check out the Harbor Soaring Society field in Costa Mesa. It's probably about 10 minutes down the road from your work and it's an AMA sanctioned field. Only thing is don't fly near or over the houses with a buzzing Zagi. Fly east of the parking lot (over the backfield or the dirt mounds).
Directions: http://www.1hss.org/
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2001, 08:55 AM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
Actually, the exact location is Von Karman and Morse. Just to the South of the Taco Bell building. 'Non-props' don't fly over this location, it the approach for the 'putt-putts' as Daren said.

I don't think I'll be flying there. The only thing I've ever hit with my planes in 25 years is my wife about 18 years ago and a light pole a few weeks ago. She was my girlfriend at the time...and yes, she still married me. Go figure.

Not gonna push my 'luck'.
Thanks for all the info.
Brian Christie

P.S. I STILL don't have an AMA license yet. I've always flown so far away from people and objects that I haven't needed one. Have they started pro-rating for mid-year signups?
Old Jul 18, 2001, 08:18 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianchristie:
I don't think I'll be flying there.

Not gonna push my 'luck'.

Have they started pro-rating for mid-year signups?
Hi Brian,
I drove by the area where you're referring to. I think you're making the wisest choice. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

I don't believe the AMA ia prorating their membership. If you sign up too late, they just give you a 2002 membership. Be warned though, should this happen, you're not covered during any part of 2001. Insurance companies are funny that way; they'll look for ANY excuse to not pay out money.

BTW, AMA is secondary insurance. Let's say you have a home-owner's or renter's policy. This would kick in first (you're still responsible for the deductable, however) and AMA would pick up the remaining amount. No H.O. or renters? AMA is the primary carrier.

Daren
Old Jul 18, 2001, 09:10 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
zagis are never "a good idea", no matter where they are flown
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic