HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:22 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Thanks for the info
My next question is my TX comes with 4 lipo's and it's coming from china. Is this going to be a problem. I heard that the new shipping laws are outlawing the shipping of lipo's
They are not "outlawing" it, they wont put it on planes anymore ... and the postal service claims this is based on TSA rules
(I have my very own opinion to how they explain it and what they are doing, considering every cell phone and laptop uses LiPos as well and nobody has a problem to allow those in the carry on luggage, ie even in the passenger space, not only in the loading bay)
Anyway, the only real limitation is, that it will get to the point where anything lipo has to be sent ground, which means if it comes from china, LITERALLY on the slowboat ... and a lipo order will take maybe 2 MONTHS instead of 2-3 weeks as it normally does now.

But if it is CORRECTLY declared as lipos, then it will just be put into "ground transportation service" once it is physically inside the country - ie cleared customs ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:56 AM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
597 Posts
got my Extreme msr fly bar paddels yesterday. fitted them on the stock flybar ,couldnt be happier. the v911 is flying much smoother now .left circits are easier to fly. and dose seem to have more lift.
thinking Ill be moving to CP but still love this heli for in the garage. paddles are awsome
crtaylor is offline Find More Posts by crtaylor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,526 Posts
I just had an order for 6 lipos (for an older 3ch coax) get turned around by customs and had to cancel it. Not being able to get lipos will kill my interest in this hobby pretty quickly....
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
I've just bought some extra lipo batteries from www.banggood.com.br for my WLtoys V911 helicopter. They have a pack of 5 batteries with higher mAh than the original.
You can buy the helicopter itself there too. I bought mine there;.. their prices are great and they deliver free shipping world wide
JamesMcfly is offline Find More Posts by JamesMcfly
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
They are not "outlawing" it, they wont put it on planes anymore ... and the postal service claims this is based on TSA rules
(I have my very own opinion to how they explain it and what they are doing, considering every cell phone and laptop uses LiPos as well and nobody has a problem to allow those in the carry on luggage, ie even in the passenger space, not only in the loading bay)
Anyway, the only real limitation is, that it will get to the point where anything lipo has to be sent ground, which means if it comes from china, LITERALLY on the slowboat ... and a lipo order will take maybe 2 MONTHS instead of 2-3 weeks as it normally does now.

But if it is CORRECTLY declared as lipos, then it will just be put into "ground transportation service" once it is physically inside the country - ie cleared customs ...
Well, there really are no conspiracies or black helicopters (to keep this OT) involved, and neither the TSA or USPS have anything to do with the limitations.

The restrictions and limitations on lithium batteries carried aboard both passenger and cargo aircraft has been established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and is regulated in the US by the Dept. of Transportation/Federal Aviation Administration. Here is the FAA's guidance for carriage aboard passenger aircraft:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/..._batteries.pdf

Different limitations apply to cargo aircraft, but air shipment is allowed. That is how the LiPos I order from China get to me in the US. You are correct in that once air shipment of my LiPos arrive in the US that their continuation from the POE to me is via ground transport as a lot of mail is otherwise carried on passenger aircraft.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
301 Posts
Ordered myself a v911 from banggood a few weeks ago and it showed up last night! Just went with the BNF since I've got a t9x already and a bunch of batteries for my 9958. I mistakenly thought the new new style battery connector on the v911 was the same as what was used on the 9958...so first thing I had to do was whip out the soldering iron and replace the battery connector.

Before I even powered it up my first impression was that the main motor was noisier and less smooth than my 9958 just spinning the blades by hand. But once I got a bat in and tried some flying I was VERY impressed. I expected it to be more stable from what I'd ready but not this much more stable. Think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this little guy.

But I'm wondering about my main motor. Got it out in my yard just now for my first outside flight since there was no wind...and had a blast...but quickly started to loose power. I was flying on a 160ma nano tech I usually use on my 9958. I didn't have a timer programmed in on my TX yet but the flight felt a LOT shorter than what I usually get from the same bat on my 9958. Almost had to land on my roof because the power was dropping.

Admittedly my bats have been sitting for about 6 months since my 9958 has been out of commission (but with a proper storage charge on them and they were still reading almost the same as when I stored them.) but it still seemed like a very short flight and I was needing a lot more throttle than I expected almost immediately.

Are these just not a good battery option for this heli? Maybe my bat lost some kick while stored, or maybe I just happened to grab on that wasn't very good (I only got to fly the 9958 on the 160's a few times before landing the 9958 in a pot of cooking oil leading to it being out of commission for so long.) But with the main motor feeling so rough just spinning it by hand I'm wondering if maybe the v911 is just more power hungry or maybe I got a bum motor?

For $20 I'm really happy with it and may pick up another when I order some spare parts. I was stupid/brave/crazy and didn't order any spares with it so we'll see how long I can keep it in the air So far no problems and I'm crashing less than I do with the 9958 since this is so much easier to control. But I think I'll still feel safer with some spare blades, flybar and linkages on hand!

Now to go put the new board I ordered for the 9958 in so I can do a more direct comparison...I suppose it could just be I've forgotten how short flights with the 9958 are since I've been flying my x1 quad a lot lately and enjoying the nice long flights it provides
jhitesma is offline Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcfly View Post
I've just bought some extra lipo batteries from www.banggood.com.br for my WLtoys V911 helicopter. They have a pack of 5 batteries with higher mAh than the original.
You can buy the helicopter itself there too. I bought mine there;.. their prices are great and they deliver free shipping world wide
Have you been hiding under a rock lol
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Ordered myself a v911 from banggood a few weeks ago and it showed up last night! Just went with the BNF since I've got a t9x already and a bunch of batteries for my 9958. I mistakenly thought the new new style battery connector on the v911 was the same as what was used on the 9958...so first thing I had to do was whip out the soldering iron and replace the battery connector.

Before I even powered it up my first impression was that the main motor was noisier and less smooth than my 9958 just spinning the blades by hand. But once I got a bat in and tried some flying I was VERY impressed. I expected it to be more stable from what I'd ready but not this much more stable. Think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this little guy.

But I'm wondering about my main motor. Got it out in my yard just now for my first outside flight since there was no wind...and had a blast...but quickly started to loose power. I was flying on a 160ma nano tech I usually use on my 9958. I didn't have a timer programmed in on my TX yet but the flight felt a LOT shorter than what I usually get from the same bat on my 9958. Almost had to land on my roof because the power was dropping.

Admittedly my bats have been sitting for about 6 months since my 9958 has been out of commission (but with a proper storage charge on them and they were still reading almost the same as when I stored them.) but it still seemed like a very short flight and I was needing a lot more throttle than I expected almost immediately.

Are these just not a good battery option for this heli? Maybe my bat lost some kick while stored, or maybe I just happened to grab on that wasn't very good (I only got to fly the 9958 on the 160's a few times before landing the 9958 in a pot of cooking oil leading to it being out of commission for so long.) But with the main motor feeling so rough just spinning it by hand I'm wondering if maybe the v911 is just more power hungry or maybe I got a bum motor?

For $20 I'm really happy with it and may pick up another when I order some spare parts. I was stupid/brave/crazy and didn't order any spares with it so we'll see how long I can keep it in the air So far no problems and I'm crashing less than I do with the 9958 since this is so much easier to control. But I think I'll still feel safer with some spare blades, flybar and linkages on hand!

Now to go put the new board I ordered for the 9958 in so I can do a more direct comparison...I suppose it could just be I've forgotten how short flights with the 9958 are since I've been flying my x1 quad a lot lately and enjoying the nice long flights it provides
Hey jhitesma,

To clean your deep-fried 9958, get yourself a small ultrasonic cleaning unit and give all the components a good 5 minute bath with a dilute solution of Simple Green.

I got this one from HobbyKing and have been using it to clean all kinds of stuff; heli parts, eyglasses, keys, pocket knives, etc. It truly works like magic! Note that this HK model is very cheaply made with iffy instructions. The countdown timer does not automatically shut off the device when it gets to zero so I need to monitor its progress. Other than that, this does work quite well. Its absolutely amazing how well it cleans bearings - after a 5-minute ultrasonic bath in SimpleGreen, I spin-rinse with water then immediately dry them out in a shot glass placed in the toaster. After this treatment, the bearings will freely spin for a VERY long time. I then place one drop of a very light oil in them to prevent rust.

It will clean ALL the greasy, hard-to-get-at nooks and crannys in your slimed 9958 - GUARANTEED!

Note also that after getting mine from HK, I discovered that you can buy similar ones locally for about the same price. Folks into jewlrey use them to clean rings and such (although you shouldn't use them on pearls or other quartz-like materials as they can shatter from the high frequency vibes).

Highly recommended!

p.s. Like you, I am a 9958 fan who is trying out the v911 (mine are still on the slow-banggood-boat from China). I'm planning on doing an in-depth comparison as well. We'll see...
ridgerunr is online now Find More Posts by ridgerunr
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr View Post
Hey jhitesma,
To clean your deep-fried 9958, get yourself a small ultrasonic cleaning unit and give all the components a good 5 minute bath with a dilute solution of Simple Green.
You know I've been wanting one of those for years...but I did a VERY through cleaning on the 9958 and one of the servo motors is just trashed. I had been debating just replacing the servo, but they're such a pain to replace and the board isn't that much more and I was suspecting the tail motor driver was having issues (I was burning up tail motors on the 9958 crazy fast) so I figured for as cheap as the boards are I may as well just replace the whole board. But then I was debating just getting a "parts" heli since they're not much more...and kept going back and forth back and forth debating for months.

So since I was ordering bats and has some spare cash I looked at what other goodies I could toss into my order and decided to get the v911 and the new 9958 board. (I had debating putting a v911 board on the 9958 instead...but that just seemed silly given how cheap the BNF v911's themselves are.)

Both are back and flying now. I am thinking my 160mah nano tech just aren't very happy anymore though. Just flew one in the 9958 and it didn't last much longer than the one I flew earlier in the v911...and both seemed like way shorter flights than I remember getting before Guess either my bats or my memory is going...probably my memory

Quote:
p.s. Like you, I am a 9958 fan who is trying out the v911 (mine are still on the slow-banggood-boat from China). I'm planning on doing an in-depth comparison as well. We'll see...
Flying the 9958 and the v911 back to back just now was interesting. The 9958 is definitely faster - but it's not stock anymore either (bravo SX tail motor and shortened swash arms. The v911 is much more predictable though and is much better at coming back to a hover after flying around. My 9958 after flying never really holds a hover and requires a lot of feedback to stay even slightly stable. The v911 just settles right back in and needs almost no correction.

The v911 seems a little tougher too. I crashed them both a little and the v911 is still just fine on all stock parts. But the 9958 I managed to break a ball off yet another flybar already (thankfully I've still got a few of those on hand!). The v911 looks less substantial to me in how it's head is built...but it seems to hold up well.

I still need to tweak the battery tray on the v911 a bit better to work with my existing batteries, it ends up sticking out the back a bit much and that may have something to do with the v911 seeming slow - it seems happier flying backwards. So I'm thinking the battery mounted the way I've got it is just too far back and throwing the CG off a bit.

The v911 is much nicer for inside flying - but outside with more space I can't say I prefer one over the other right now. They've both got their ups and downs but for me at least neither seems "better" for spirited outside flying.

Man I love living at a time when such amazing little machines are so affordable!
jhitesma is offline Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
309 Posts
Anyone have a main motor off a v911 that can measure and tell me what the pinion shaft diameter is?
6sharky9 is offline Find More Posts by 6sharky9
Last edited by 6sharky9; Feb 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo000000 View Post
Just followed the guide to physically switch the 9116/9117 tx from mode 2 to mode 1, and everything works great now
I've been using the 9116 tx for some time now, experimented with the settings, many flights, etc. and I can now conclude...........I prefer the stock tx!! So for those of you considering the 9116 tx, go for it if you want, but don't expect a guaranteed improvement. Just my two cents.
waldo000000 is offline Find More Posts by waldo000000
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,739 Posts
Quote:
I've been using the 9116 tx for some time now, experimented with the settings, many flights, etc. and I can now conclude...........I prefer the stock tx!! So for those of you considering the 9116 tx, go for it if you want, but don't expect a guaranteed improvement. Just my two cents.
+1

Got my TX used and wasn't sure if it was the TX or just me, but I never have liked the way the throttle reacts no matter how I have it set. For my liking the throttle reacts too slowly so I repeatedly end up hitting either the ceiling or the deck. Then again, maybe my old brain is just too slow nowadays, or there really is a problem with the radio...
tiggertoo1962 is online now Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
I liked the DH9116 tx simply because of the ability to program and change dual rates. I also have pretty big hands (I can easily palm a basketball) so the stock tx feels a little small. The stock tx with the rudder mod works just fine though. I put a switch on mine so I can toggle it on and off.

While on the topic, I received my FlySky TH9X today. Took me about 5 minutes to program for the v911. After seeing all the posts about it I assumed it was going to be more difficult to figure out. I only had to reference the manual to figure out that you have to hold down the menu button for "enter". Other then that it was pretty straight forward. I really like the fact tht there's a separate D/R switch for each channel unlike my Devo that just has one for all channels.

So now I'm flying my v991s again while I play with the radio.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,635 Posts
Yes, the TH9x is not hard to set up if you just want something to bind with a model and fly with default settings.

But then once you get into it. The features seem endless. I think there are still about some 60% of that radio I haven't explored. You have fun playing with it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, TX
Joined Aug 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, the TH9x is not hard to set up if you just want something to bind with a model and fly with default settings.

But then once you get into it. The features seem endless. I think there are still about some 60% of that radio I haven't explored. You have fun playing with it.
Nice to hear. I have the TH9X on order so looking forward to learning all about the radio. Do you have, or know of, a LiPo battery for it? If so, please let me know which one to get.

Thanks,

Jim
Crackup is offline Find More Posts by Crackup