HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
That was my assumption too but the reset process didn't seem to complete with the Devo7
If you set and save your radio model to random ID, it's really a matter of using the bind plug properly to reset the receiver side of things. It's far too easy not to complete and when random ID bind using a Devo 8 works, it's pretty safe to say the receiver got reset properly.

Quote:
No, however it does appear to prevent you using Fixed ID if you use the aircraft with both TXs. It's possibly a limitation caused by the display rather than any radio hardware.
Yeah well, I somewhat doubt that, as it means the last digit can be anything from zero to nine. It's also clearly not meant to work like that (using multiple radios for a single model I mean). A fixed ID should work with a single model (and a stored model setting in your radio) using a single Tx, that's why it's not random to begin with.

Did you ever try to make a new model entry in your radio and then try to bind using that 'blank' model? This might rule out any fixed ID related bugs in your Devo 7.

Quote:
From the outside, but since there's no detailed RX manual it could actually be totally different inside or at least firmware wise. Add to that Walkera often release an RX and then after feedback from the field release an updated version. Maybe the 802 is the 801 which is full compatible with the Devo series rather than the 801 which appears only partially compatible.
This is entirely speculation on your side. The specs of both receivers are the exact same. The technology is the same and most certainly it doesn't require anything special (no firmware update) to bind to any of the Devo series radios.

Seeing how it does bind to a Devo 8, it's really awkward for it not to bind with a radio that's using the exact same technology, albeit with a different screen.

The same technology that can bind to any of the bind and fly Walkera helicopters, just like the Devo 8 can. All in all, it doesn't make much sense for this receiver not to work with Devo 7.

Quote:
Simply because I've tested it and it doesn't appear to work with both of us using all our combined experiences.
That may well be true indeed, but seeing how you had at one point already wrongfully assumed that you did not ever need to use the bind plug to bind to a radio for the first time, I am still hesitant to rule out some kind of user error entirely. As before, I don't think you did that much wrong here, but I'm really not convinced this receiver can't work.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 12, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
If you set and save your radio model to random ID, it's really a matter of using the bind plug properly to reset the receiver side of things. It's far too easy not to complete and when random ID bind using a Devo 8 works, it's pretty safe to say the receiver got reset properly.
Agreed.

Quote:
Yeah well, I somewhat doubt that, as it means the last digit can be anything from zero to nine. It's also clearly not meant to work like that (using multiple radios for a single model I mean). A fixed ID should work with a single model (and a stored model setting in your radio) using a single Tx, that's why it's not random to begin with.
(Or the first digit would be 0~9 but yes, basically) Agreed.

Quote:

Did you ever try to make a new model entry in your radio and then try to bind using that 'blank' model? This might rule out any fixed ID related bugs in your Devo 7.
Trying that now.

Quote:
This is entirely speculation on your side. The specs of both receivers are the exact same. The technology is the same and most certainly it doesn't require anything special (no firmware update) to bind to any of the Devo series radios.
Agreed, but I think we've seen that before with Walkera products - same specs but different behaviours.

Quote:

Seeing how it does bind to a Devo 8, it's really awkward for it not to bind with a radio that's using the exact same technology, albeit with a different screen.

The same technology that can bind to any of the bind and fly Walkera helicopters, just like the Devo 8 can. All in all, it doesn't make much sense for this receiver not to work with Devo 7.
Agreed in part. The basic hardware might be identical but there is different firmware, as shown by the fact that the Fixed ID is 5 not 6 digits. If the RX is expecting a 6 digit code to bind, then a 5 digit code is going to be in error and the RX will discard it.
But, this is partly why I'm still trying! I can't understand why it doesn't work.

Quote:
That may well be true indeed, but seeing how you had at one point already wrongfully assumed that you did not ever need to use the bind plug to bind to a radio for the first time, I am still hesitant to rule out some kind of user error entirely. As before, I don't think you did that much wrong here, but I'm really not convinced this receiver can't work.
Not agreed. Of all of the 3 RXs that I've bought new in box, plus all of those in the helis, I have never needed the bind plug to bind the first time. That's ~11 RXs. That would seem to me to be a statistically significant number 0 with bind plug vs 11 without. Granted, 8 may have already been test flown.
However, from the manual and by reasonable assumption, it would appear logical that everything leaves the factory in Random mode since Fixed ID is a documented end user setup activity.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
I made a video but it was actually impossible to see anything I was doing... anyway, I still can't get it to bind to the Devo 7, in either RANDOM or FIXED ID mode.

I started with a reset RX801 and Devo 8
  1. Plugged BEC into THRO
  2. No bind plug
  3. Turn on TX (using previously checked RANDOM ID model)
  4. Connected ESC power
  5. Waited for bind
RESULT: Bind OK

From here I proceeded to set a FIXED ID
  1. Select FIXED ID set number (012399) and SETUP
  2. FIXED ID setting completes
  3. Remove power from RX
  4. Turn off TX
  5. Turn on TX
  6. Turn on RX
RESULT: Bind OK

(Works turning RX on, TX on; TX on, RX on, TX off, TX on, RX off, RX on.)

Next was to reset the FIXED ID, the manual, you and I are slightly incorrect on where to stick the bind plug... for this RX, use the Bind plug in AUX3.
  1. Insert BIND plug to AUX3 (all other locations tested)
  2. Insert BEC power to BATT (other locations not tested)
  3. Turn on TX (Using a RANDOM ID model)
  4. Connect power to ESC
  5. Wait for bind and slow RX LED flashing to confirm reset
  6. Disconnect ESC power
  7. Turn off TX
  8. Turn on TX
  9. Connect ESC power
  10. Confirm bind with RANDOM ID
RESULT: Reset OK

I tried using the Devo 7 at each critical stage and it was never successful at binding.

So, I confirm that:
1) I know how to set and reset the TX and RX for FIXED ID
2) Both FIXED and RANDOM binding with the Devo 8 works without a problem
3) My Devo 7 FW V0.1A is not recognised AT ALL by my RX801
4) The reset ID bind plug location on this RX is AUX3 (something we'd both missed)

So, again, I re-confirm, my RX801 will not bind with my Devo7.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
I'd try to update the Devo 7 firmware and then try again.

Perhaps I simply got unlucky getting 5 receivers that did in fact not auto-bind straight away.

I must stress that I have not been using these receivers on any Walkera made ESCs though and all of those ESCs would only work / bind when changing the throttle sub-trim to the lowest possible value. Else it would not bind. (All using a Devo 8 obviously.)

So perhaps I've missed the fact that the bind plug did not actually matter. The manual is extremely vague about binding anyway, except for setting a fixed ID or resetting a fixed ID.

Quote:
4) The reset ID bind plug location on this RX is AUX3 (something we'd both missed)
I'll take your word for it.

Perhaps a strange question, but did you manage to bind any other receivers to your Devo 7? The rx701 works fine?

I obviously agree that you seem to have done all within your reach to try and bind this receiver.
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 12, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
Quote:
I'd try to update the Devo 7 firmware and then try again.
Yep, I'll try that.

Quote:
Perhaps I simply got unlucky getting 5 receivers that did in fact not auto-bind straight away.
That seems odd too. A totally different experience from mine.

Quote:
I must stress that I have not been using these receivers on any Walkera made ESCs though and all of those ESCs would only work / bind when changing the throttle sub-trim to the lowest possible value. Else it would not bind. (All using a Devo 8 obviously.)

So perhaps I've missed the fact that the bind plug did not actually matter. The manual is extremely vague about binding anyway, except for setting a fixed ID or resetting a fixed ID.
Manuals are vague for much of their stuff!! Especially on where to actually put the bind plug!! A result of copy/paste I think!

Quote:
Perhaps a strange question, but did you manage to bind any other receivers to your Devo 7? The rx701 works fine?

I obviously agree that you seem to have done all within your reach to try and bind this receiver.
The Devo 7 binds with all the other Devo RXs I have. So, either it's my 801, or it's them all that don't like the Devo7. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd of either to confirm.
I do have 2x RX802 s on their way. I shall test them. Though I'm sure they will be fine.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
The Devo 7 binds with all the other Devo RXs I have.
Yeah, that's the strangest part. I've actually emailed Walkera. Lets see what they say about all this.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
I feel satisfied now that I've not let a stupid error give me a false result but it would be nice to hear what Sheila and friends have to say on the subject.
I can try new firmware by the end of this week.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
I had a reply:

DEVO7 radio only compatible with rx701 receiver.
devo8 radio only compatible with rx801 and rx802 receiver.

So I think that answers this thread!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
That's strange. I've had this answer from Wendy Wu;

Quote:
Dear [PHMX]

Nice day!
Thanks for your e-mail.
Pls try to refer to Instruction Manual--Model menu--ID set--fix ID--open--input data--confirm.
It is easy to set-up.
By the way, we have new product QR Ladybird for your reference.

Thx & B.Rgds,
Sincerely Yours,
Ms Wendy Wu
Foreign Marketing
Tel:+86-20-8491-5116
Fax:+86-20-8491-5117
E-mail: heli-08@walkera.com
MSN: hanying-wu@hotmail.com
Guangzhou Walkera Technology Co.,Ltd.
= = = = = = 下面是转发邮件 = = = = = = =
I've got a feeling she either did not understand the question or it should be possible.

My email;

Quote:
Dear Walkera,

I was wondering if the Devo 7 radio is compatible with the RX801 Devo series receiver.

Best regards,
All the more reason to try and update your Devo 7 firmware if you ask me!
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 13, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
Haha! Now that is funny.
Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied that my RX801 will not bind to my Devo7, no matter what anyone else tells me. The only solution would be that someone hacks the FW of TX/RX/Both.

My question was:

On 2012/03/13, at 8:01, "Mik" <thwaitm@----> wrote:

Hi Sheila,

Can anyone in your technical dept comment on why my DEVO 7 and RX801 don't communicate? Or is it normal and part of the reason the RX802 exists?

http://m.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1528856

Or is it because I have a FW v0.1A Devo 7?

Thanks,
Mik
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Haha! Now that is funny.
Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied that my RX801 will not bind to my Devo7, no matter what anyone else tells me. The only solution would be that someone hacks the FW of TX/RX/Both.
Right, but from the reply you've got the rx802 shouldn't work with your Devo 7 either. That too makes little sense to me to be honest. Can you please copy & paste the exact reply?

It will be interesting to see if you can get the two rx802 to bind.

The rx701 binds with the Devo 6 / 7 /8 /12;
http://www.helipal.com/walkera-devo-...-receiver.html

It really makes no sense that the rx801 doesn't bind with your Devo 7.
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:08 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
Certainly, my impression was from rcgroups that the 802 and 7 would bind... let's see.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
It's what's being advertised on multiple sites. But the same is true for the Devo 7 and rx801. They are supposed to work.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,980 Posts
I just tested and the RX802 binds no problem out of the box to the Devo7.
Just plug the BEC/ESC into THRO, a servo in to ELEV/AILE/RUDD whatever and power up the TX then RX - no problems.

I tried first with Devo 7 -- OK
then with Devo 8 -- OK
then again with Devo 7 -- OK (to check if binding a 6 digit random code then a 5 caused any issues - apparently not)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
DEVO RX 701 compatible ?

The DEVO RX-701 will work with DEVO 6,7,8 and 12 transmitters.

Quote:
I had a reply:

DEVO7 radio only compatible with rx701 receiver.
devo8 radio only compatible with rx801 and rx802 receiver.

So I think that answers this thread!
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610