HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:49 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,916 Posts
I'm happy to see your pleased with your Spit. I never expected so many other distractions to interfere with flying mine especially after putting s much work into it but it'll fly hopefull very soon.

I plan on remaining subscribed here and post some photos and maybe video of the maiden.

Take care and enjoy -

ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
CE, Can't wait for some flight footage.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:01 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,916 Posts
Hang in there with me - I just tneed to re-do the battery hatch I cut for the top fuse and find a proper place to fly it....and it's Tally Ho!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Sep 2011
66 Posts
I had a Zero that met an untimely and tragic (but spectacular) death. I would like to use my Rimfire .46, Ice 75 on 6S. After reading through this thread, that seems like a good setup. I plan on ordering it this week.

Jack
Gixxerjack is offline Find More Posts by Gixxerjack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:12 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
Thanks CE it was a day to remember seeing her come in on a glide with the prop not turning is an image I can't get out of my head. The maiden was done with a 4000mAh 6S a NTM 5050 580kv and a 15x8 prop.
I will change that to a 4000mAh 4S with the same motor and a 13x8 prop which I think will give me enough power with a 230g weight saving and a cooler motor.
I will let you know in 2 weeks because we have a holiday weekend in OZ and I am going camping so no flying.
Some pics of the damage for you too.
rodneyf is offline Find More Posts by rodneyf
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,916 Posts
From the photos that must have been spectacular...wow.

Not to change the subject but what make Gee BEE is that....looks like a Maxford or Hobby Lobby. I love that airplane. You can PM me...
ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
Well, after a few hours work in the shed the spitfire is ready for another go with a new motor mount and motor just for good measure. the old motor was just not as smooth as it should so I replaced it, I also will have to add about 130gms of lead to the front because of swapping out the 6S for the 4S battery.
These are some pics of the new mount I made out of brass but I won't be able to try it for another 10 days.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:39 PM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
Well it has finally happened the way it should, a perfect second flight.
4S 4000Mah
13 x 8 prop
50-55 580kv turnigy motor
100 amp Deluxe ESC
And the CG excactly as the book said.
The taken off was great, the flight was smooth with enough power and the landing was not fast but I still had enough control to bring her in smooth on about 1/3 throttle.
I was really suprised at the glide she has and just by backing off on the power she just settled in and slowed nicely on the grass.
I am soooo happy the she flies that well.

I am going to remove the horizontal stabiliser and replace it with a stiffer one because I don't trust the stock one to be strong enough to pull out of a high speed dive.
Rod
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,916 Posts
Congratulation Rod - what did your AUW add up to?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:17 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
I'm not sure but i will weigh it when i get the stab back on and let you know. No one should be worried about flying the bird, it is the most predictable thing to fly if you set the CG right and with 13 x 8 at half throttle she just cruises in for nice low passes that are just so scale.
I forgot to say how cool the motor and battery were after the flight and a 5 min flight left me with 3.75 in each cell.
Love it.
Rod
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:32 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Congratulation Rod - what did your AUW add up to?
AUW was right on 3.5 kgs CE, and she flew like a dream!

It is a shame she tip stalled on landing and cartwheeled to a stop and i now need a new wing.

I have some video of the crash, it's hard to see but she looked good while she was up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NjkD8_R1Gho
Last edited by rodneyf; Oct 18, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyf View Post
Well it has finally happened the way it should, a perfect second flight.
I am going to remove the horizontal stabiliser and replace it with a stiffer one because I don't trust the stock one to be strong enough to pull out of a high speed dive.
Rod
Rod,
How did you end up removing/replacing the horiz stab? I need to straighten mine out as it's warped and I don't want to fly it like that. I think it could use a better one and if it's not too involved I'd prefer to build a stronger one, maybe with some actual airfoil shape..
Thanks,
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:08 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
Dick,it was pretty simple really, I just used a fine hacksaw blade at 45 degrees and she came out clean. I have made a new one now and i will fit it without covering it and then sheet it and sand it back to form an airfoil.
With the wing i have removed all of the film and sheeted the 2 holes to form a solid sheet wing.
I have cut flaps and mounted the servos all ready to go but she is still a work in progress.
Rod
Last edited by rodneyf; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:14 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
An airfoiled and stronger horizontal stab would be just wonderful. Fully sheeted wing, likewise!
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:41 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,302 Posts
I have been mucking around with a recipe from 30 yrs ago when I used to mix dope and talc powder together as a sealer for the balsa, it is working a treat on the wing and she is coming up super smooth. I have set the servos for the flaps in the wings and removed the air intake and radiator for the first flight to see how she flys.
Rod