HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:28 PM
Joined May 2013
67 Posts
Discussion
Which pilot are you?

With all the new technology out there like FPV and such Im curious how this manifests itself in electric glider soaring.

Which would you consider yourself to be:

1. I m fine without FPV - the skill is in the observing of the craft however high, even at the limits of vision and the inputs I make to guide it along.

2. FPV is the way to go as it no longer depends on how well I can see the craft but how well I can operate from within it.

3. I fly visual only but I'm open to FPV at some point.

I consider myself a #1 .

How bout you guys?

Pete
Petepala1961 is offline Find More Posts by Petepala1961
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:57 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,832 Posts
Should have made this a poll. I'm a 1. #2 scares me with the possibilities but if flown according to AMA guidelines I see no problem.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:43 AM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
550 Posts
I'm really a #1. I do aerial photography using cameras lifted from kites, and use a video downlink on that. But I like to fly my planes LOS.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:45 AM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
396 Posts
I fly it all..FPV, 3D, slope, thermals, multis, helicopters...you name it - I've flown it !
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:16 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,189 Posts
everybody saw this coming... FPV needs regulating.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:04 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
299 Posts
Why does FPV need regulating any more than LOS? I've seen a lot more accidents from guys flying LOS than FPV. Yes, there are a lot more guys flying LOS, but to say FPV needs more regulating just makes no sense. Sounds like something our President would say.
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:44 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
There's million$ of reasons FPV needs to be regulated.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:54 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,539 Posts
+1 and I agree with regulating it. I'm also getting to where I think we should regulate all R/C flying as well as model rocketry and even kite flying. Anything that has the possibility to go over 100 foot above ground level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Should have made this a poll. I'm a 1. #2 scares me with the possibilities but if flown according to AMA guidelines I see no problem.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:14 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,832 Posts
My God....I think I'm gonna find another hobby, perhaps knitting with dull needles.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,400 Posts
I think what Sparky Paul is saying is that the commercial side of UAV flying, ie the Big Guys that want to sell military and smaller commercial drones to industry, law enforcement , govt. agencies, don't want to have to compete with small "hobby" flyers who can develop the same technology for a much lower price. The new FAA reg won't permit (hobby flyers) stuff like taking a picture of a friends property from a UAV/drone/multirotor to sell the image, Stuff you can legally do in a Private Plane under Part 91.

So they are trying to tie up the FPV flying by hobby fliers in all sorts of regulations. Then they can have the small FPV market all for themselves.

The FAA would like to ban even AMA members from flying FPV, even though AMA as a "community base organization " has created an FPV safety protocol, in AMA document 550.

Quote:
States AMA President Bob Brown, "The FAA interpretive rule effectively negates Congress' intentions, and is contrary to the law. Section 336(a) of the Public Law states that, 'the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft…', this interpretive rule specifically addresses model aircraft, effectively establishes rules that model aircraft were not previously subject to and is in direct violation of the congressional mandate in the 2012 FAA reauthorization bill."
excerpt from Interperation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Quote:
With respect to UAS
used as model aircraft, the FAA reiterated the operating
guidelines in AC 91-57
, and further noted that to qualify as a model aircraft, the aircraft
would need to be operated purely for recreational or hobby purposes, and within the
visual line of sight of the operator
Advisory Circular 91-57 includes the following,
Quote:
Advisory Circular 91-57, Model Aircraft Operating Standards . These operating standards included restricting operations over populated areas,
limiting use of the devices around spectators until after the devices had been flight tested
and proven airworthy; restricting operations to 400 feet above the surface
; requiring that
the devices give right of way to, and avoid flying near
manned
aircraft, and using
observers to assist in operations
So it's not just about FPV. We could lose the right to fly above 400' !
full text of the Interperation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
here http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives..._spec_rule.pdf

submit your comments..I just did today,address/e-mail for comments are at the top of this document
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:26 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Actually, what "I am saying" is the financial risk to the average FPV user can result in a million$ of dollar$ liability when their activity creates a problem. From minor damage to death.
Restraining the enthusiasm as what can be done with FPV for one.
LOS ONLY!
With an observer!
Having tried it, I can't fly FPV.
I HAVE to see the airplane!
The restriction of situational awareness when FPV is the primary airplane contact is just something I can't operate with.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:08 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
+1 and I agree with regulating it. I'm also getting to where I think we should regulate all R/C flying as well as model rocketry and even kite flying. Anything that has the possibility to go over 100 foot above ground level.
Kite flying and model rocketry already is regulated. I don't think there's a pressing need to add more regulations for those activites, given that the ones we have are working fine.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:58 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
People have been doing some stupid things with FPV for some time now. With the recent boom in the number of people getting into FPV flying, the level of stupidity has also boomed, and the FAA is being forced to take action.
Once again, an entire hobby is being brought down by the actions of a few. Sadly, the best thing that could happen right now is for the whole FPV/UAV/Drone thing to disappear from public and media view.
It hurts the hobby by not bringing in newcomers, but is the lesser of evils. We may escape the heavy hand of big brother for now, but unless it escapes the public eye, we're doomed.

ETA: I would put myself in category 3. I've done nearly all of it at some point in time since 1979. FPV has a place....just need to be smart about it.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:38 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
126 Posts
Are there some more options?

4. Don't fly FPV but think the folks who do are on to something.
5. Don't fly FPV and don't care beyond the fact I now have to engage in collective actions with others because I fear the FPV folks will bring down the wraith of the Feds on all who fly rc
6 . Don't fly FPV and don't care one way or the other.

Within these additions I am in the 5 category
RV Winkle is online now Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Last edited by RV Winkle; Jul 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Incorrect grammar
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:28 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,832 Posts
I think most of us fall in #5. I think the AMA has a set of workable rules that should satisfy the FCC. As I keep saying, we can't regulate stupid.