Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:01 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
Discussion
Foam 250

The race is on to get a foamy over 250 mph! Alex's recent record run shows that it should be possible. We often discuss why a foamy hasn't broken the 250 barrier yet and the general opinion is that when the wind gets strong enough, nobody throws out their foam.

Record builds are in the works so this upcoming season should be exciting! I am hoping to have some heavy foam for BSP next winter, and I think breaking a couple of foam rules should be okay to push over the top. We can always come back later and do it properly. I have a stability system from Alan Cocconi I plan to put in a heavy JW to help. Composite planks have exceeded 300 mph so is 250 from a foam plank too much to ask for?

Rumors are circulating that Bloodandguts has built a beast of a JW for the task, so let's hope for some wind to see how he does!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:03 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,995 Posts
Sounds good! I will hold off getting mine going again to give you a chance

ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:49 PM
225 mph
Australia, NSW, Warriewood
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
It is only a matter of time before a foamy will go over 250 mph.
However if you break a couple of foamy rules to achieve this your model is no longer a foamy and it's speed should not be recognized as a foamy record.
DS foamys can be built well and fast without breaking the rules, and legitimate foamys will go over 250 mph.
-Snowfly- is offline Find More Posts by -Snowfly-
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:45 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Snowfly- View Post
It is only a matter of time before a foamy will go over 250 mph.
However if you break a couple of foamy rules to achieve this your model is no longer a foamy and it's speed should not be recognized as a foamy record.
DS foamys can be built well and fast without breaking the rules, and legitimate foamys will go over 250 mph.
Fully agree! FWIW, Alex's WR JW60 had the smoothest finish I have seen on any foamy. He said there are only 2 layers of I think 250 micron lam film on the wing so I gave it a squeeze to compare it to mine which has 2 layers of tape and one layer of film and yup his wing was noticeably squishier. It also felt lighter than mine (which weighed 85 oz) and I'm guessing that this meant it accelerated better in the gusts.

So maybe 100+ oz 60" wings aren't what are required for the record. Alex gave up crash resistance in favour of speed since he wasn't expecting to pile it in, and obviously gave up too much strength. But that is still within the spirit and letter of the foamy rules.
Sailplane Nut is offline Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:46 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,995 Posts
Nope 1 layer of 5mil CP and a layer of 7mil DI from Aloft Hobbies then Hobby King covering. That was all that was covering the wing.

Nose wasn't strong enough. Needed much better spar system in the fuse as I had thinned it down too.

It did have noticable wing bend above 220, AND I could sit on the wing between chairs when the tips were seated on them about 8" in. No wonder the nose ripped off!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:41 PM
225 mph
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
It's good to see the foamy record race alive again. Let make it a fair fight fellas.
I am working on a higher spec Orbit 80 kit that I will be sending over to the US of A.
It would be amazing to have it flying on the same hill on the same day as these JW's built for world records.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:46 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,995 Posts
Hey Grant, where do you get the carbon rods from? Need two more. Can't get any in NZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:37 PM
225 mph
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
Try this place Alex
http://www.kites-rainbowflight.co.nz/stories/storyReader$49
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:43 PM
225 mph
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
Anyway, back on topic, what rules do you think need to be broken to get over 250 Aaron?
Bagged Fin?
Stiffer laminate surface (kitchen bench style)?
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:52 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,995 Posts
250 is capable within the rules. Rules aren't being maxed out yet
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:58 PM
225 mph
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
I agree Alex, I'm just curious.

I have no problem with people making outlaw foamys to test the limits of their models, but if any rules are broken in the build I would be pretty disappointed if these speeds were listed as foamy speeds. It's too hard for us to compete with that using legit foamys.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:40 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,995 Posts
Agreed.

I really like the foam rules specified here: http://www.rcspeeds.com/foamrules.aspx

Clear as day
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:45 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Snowfly- View Post
Anyway, back on topic, what rules do you think need to be broken to get over 250 Aaron?
Bagged Fin?
Stiffer laminate surface (kitchen bench style)?
My fast foamy build will have bagged elevons and Alan's system on it. It should be a fun plane for the rough days and maybe it will go fast in the right hands. Most of us don't consider bagged elevons a broken foamy rule, but the purists would take issue. Alan's system will help with flying in some gnarly air and also reports speed so you can fly solo and still have an idea of how you are doing. A gyro would certainly change the category of speed you get, I agree with that. But watching Alan fly for years and have fun when the rest of us can't even connect 1 lap has me sold on the stability system for a go-to rabbit-air plane.

I think Alex was doing the right thing by using wipers. It would be nice to have an easy to build foamy wiper system. The typical wiper I hear about is simply running the new stuff film across the hinge gap. There may be a better and faster wiper design, we just need to focus on finding it.

The 4 servo wing may prove to be key to more speed, I am eager to see how people deploy the 4 servos and what results they get.

The secret ingredient to true foamy speed may be rebar. Yep, I said it! Actually, steel in general is strong and adds mass. Steel may be a direction to take a fast build. I am thinking of bending a steel rod and embedding in the nose to better support the nose weight. This is a safety upgrade and could be a foamy rule break, depending on who you ask. 2 pounds of lead at 50 Gs becomes 100 pounds, so a strong nose is important for a record beast.

There are so many varieties of builds out there, and a lot of guys experiment but never share so the ultimate solution to the 250 foamy problem may have been found years ago!
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:00 PM
225 mph
Joined Oct 2011
280 Posts
I thought you were talking about breaking actual foamy build rules.
Bagged elevons is definitely within the rules. I will be supplying these with the higher spec Orbit 80.
And I don't have a problem with anyone using a gyro. That's personal preference. I have never used one, but it might be required to push a foamy to it's limits. I think it's more impressive to get a speed without a gyro, but at the end of the day the model was capable of going that speed, gyro or not.
It's great to see people still passionate about foam. Good luck with your world record attempts Aaron.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:09 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
I am no record chaser, I simply lack the thumbs for it. But 250 is not out of this world fast when compared a mouldy at 400+ so It should be a fun quest. Gyro equipped planes have an advantage that tends to go away if the air is super good. But a gyro speed is its own category and not one to be dismissed. A non-gyro speed is always the more difficult achievement and should be recognized as such. As a bystander, gyros reduce the pucker factor substantially.