HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:16 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,021 Posts
New Product
Beacon Foam-Finish

I spent the last three days at the WRAM Show. Being a WRAM member it's an obligation. Like being a kid forced to spend Christmas in FAO Schwartz!

Not being a kid, I have a credit card and brought a wallet full of cash as well.

My flying buddy's daughter summed it up like this. "The retired men with discretionary money convention."

While I was there I picked up a bottle of Foam-Tac and watched a demo of Foam-Finish. It's a thick goop you spread on with a squeegee like a playing card or similar. It's too thick to go on with a brush but it thins with water. No, I didn't ask if you could thin it to brushable consistency. The first coat takes six or eight hours to fully dry but subsequent coats dry much faster. Apparently it is capable of soaking into the surface pores on the initial coat and that slows the drying of the first coat.

You sand between coats and wind up with a surface like glass! The surface is also slightly harder than straight foam. If you want a really hard surface you can lay 0.7 oz. glass cloth down and use Foam-Finish to hold it. That was not part of the demo but they had some samples where the job was incomplete so you could see glass cloth and how it's stuck down and finished with fine sanding. I'd guess the weight was negligible for most users.

I got a jar (wide mouth about 2.5" wide by 3.0" tall) and when I recuperate from three days of being on my feet for longer than I usually stay awake I'll give it a try. I've had a project in mind for months and I'm out of excuses.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 24, 2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: More to say!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:53 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,231 Posts
Pete,

Is it a Beacon product?

I don't see it on their website.

There are other products that can be used like this. One is Minwax water based Polycrylic finish and Pledge with Future floor wax.

Both can be thinned to reduce finished cured weight.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Last edited by 356Jim; Feb 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:17 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,171 Posts
Eric called it Foam-Coat in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t#post27574961

I don't think he's a Beacon employee, though his website has sold Foam-Tac since it first came out on the market.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,021 Posts
Yes, it's a Beacon product and the jar that I have is marked so and called Foam-Finish.

They claim it's the lightest product that can fill the surface of various foams. I am not an expert but the samples and demo looked pretty good to me. They had foam floats that looked super and the samples included a few types of foam.

I'd love to give a personal report but it will have to wait until I can start a project I've been thinking about for a while.

Personally, I was impressed with what I saw.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:47 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,021 Posts
Hmm...

Now I'm wondering if I can pre-finish the surface of a Depron sheet so I don't have to sand a flexy fuselage.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:59 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
I noticed at the Local Industrial (and dilettante) Plastics Shop that they sell a product for painting onto foam that produces a glass smooth (dependent on applicator skills :-) hard surface. Fairly light , however that's a function of the thickness applied though.
It can also be used to make a several mm thick resin / glass cloth like shell as well... if so inclined.
As a guess I would think it's perhaps similar product ?
Apparently around for some time, according to the sales types.
Likely also several multiples cheaper than Beacon product, based on their 'pricing policies'
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:12 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,171 Posts
If you google Foam-Coat you'll see there are already products out there that appear to do a similar thing that Beacon's Foam-Finish does (as Bare has pointed out), but they're actually called Foam-Coat.

Perhaps they (Beacon) at first was going to use Foam-Coat (hence Eric's quote) but decided to change the name just to distinguish it from everything else with that same name.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:42 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,750 Posts
How does Foam-tac compare to UHU Por? I'd love a glue that is a bit thinner. I tried thinning UHU Por with white spirit but it doesn't work well.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:39 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,286 Posts
I think it's a bit thinner. I prefer how it handles to Por.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:49 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,750 Posts
Looks like it can't be sent by airmail so I guess I'm fortunate I have a stash of UHU Por.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:21 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
897 Posts
You can thin UHU-Por. I used https://www.icaekangen24.se/pc-4256-...miskt-ren.aspx
Thank Lennart http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=1
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:53 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,750 Posts
I tried that but it does seem to change the properties of the UHU Por and it doesn't stick as well.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:41 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
897 Posts
hm.. i might not have thinned as much ad You then. just enought to make it a little easier to apply with a paintbrush.
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
foam-tac is my favorite glue. I thin it out when needed with dry cleaning fluid. works great and you can thin it alot and then put a tip on the bottle to glue more accurately.

it does not turn yellow and brittle like the welder's glue 3D flyers like to use on EPP and I like it better than UHU as it is readily available for me.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:08 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
626 Posts
The biggest difference between uhu por and foam was (is?) Foam tac melts pink foam but uhu por doesn't. Some years ago, I ruined one whole batch of floats I was making because of that. I am not sure if foam tac has same formular these days.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing