Congrats!!!! Did you get any video?
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
swps:

Sorry no video. Maybe next time. Weather for tomorrow is bad so it will probably be a week or so before I get to fly again.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
276 Posts
A10 your numbers are little lower than mine. I'm using same motor and 5300s. Your static thrust sounds good though. Anyways, do you have a spark supressor inline per chance? I'm up around 4600-4800W pulling 108 Amps I think.

Make sure the old viofan rotor is balanced. They do not come that way even tho it is BV. I had to do quite a bit to get mine balanced. But overall a nice setup.
db_sonic is online now Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
db:
I found one of the 4S packs was not balancing correctly so that may be a little bit of the problem. I discharged the pack and then recharged and all cells are within 0.02 volts. The packs are fairly new and only have about five cycles on the bench and three flights in another plane so they may still be settling in.

If you are asking if I have a cap pack the answer is no. If you are asking about something else, I am not clear about the question. There is no noticeable vibration or any such thing so I am confident the rotor is fine. It looked good when I checked the balance. I am going to try to fly again tomorrow so we will see if the balanced packs do any better.

Ed
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:37 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Hi Ed,

Congrats on the successful maiden.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
Thanks Eric.

Ed
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2010
276 Posts
Oh, not the cap pack but rather a resistor to supress the spark you get when plugging the batteries to the motor in an HV system. Doesnt sound like you have that but when I had this first setup, I accidently left the spark supressor plugged in and it really compromised the numbers. Without that and high timing on the motor it really goes.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
db:

Yes I do have the anti-spark resistor setup in mine. In fact I have it in all of my electrics with more than 8S. I have tried to run the fan up (not this one but one I had on my test bench) with the resistor plugged in and the fan barely spins up so the reisistor was not plugged in. For those that are interested, I use the remote arming (safe arm) setup from Sharp RC (http://www.sharprc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=43) and the anti-spark resistor from Xtreme Power Systems. Works very well. . You can see the Sharp RC remote unit at the bottom of the photo (the Deans connector in a ply mount).

Ed
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
276 Posts
Sounds good. Your setup is almost identical to mine. They way you mounted the ESC.. I did the exact same. The only other thing I can think of checking is exhaust dia. should be 3.75 for about 71-72% FSA. Lastly if using the EJF adapter make sure you are not rubbing the rotor up front. I did some work to get the rotor mounted more snug with the center body so the rotor is where it should be in the shroud and helps avoid rubbing. Of course you would hear that as the rotor starts pulling it will extend out a little so there needs to be some clearance between it and the intake ducts.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
347 Posts
Why do you need an arming plug for EDF? Understand for prop job it is a safety issue. The arming plug is just another resistor in line.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
lrb:
The arming plug does a couple of things. The arming plug is a simple shorting device that allows either the positive or negative leads of the batteries to be left unconnected/open as long as the shorting plug is not installed. The arming plug is installed in series with either the positive or negative battery leads. The arming plug is simply a shorting plug that completes the connection between the positive or negative battery lead.The thing that the arming plug allows me to do is to install and connect all of the batteries in the plane and then the only thing I have to do when ready to fly is to insert the arming/shorting plug and the batteries are then connected to the ESC. The other thing that the arming plug allows me to do is to insert the anti-spark resistor across the two pins on the connector and this allows the capacitors in the ESC to charge more slowly (see below).

When you connect the batteries to the ESC, the ESC tries to charge the capacitors instantaniously. The anti-spark resistor allows the capacitors in the ESC to charge slowly (approximately 2-3 seconds). Without the anti-spark resistor, when you connect the batteries you get a large spark. This large/intense spark can damage the connectors and over time wear the contact surface of the connector pins/contacts down. According to Castle CreationsTech staff, this spark can be very harmful to the ESC so this anti-spark resistor reduces/minimizes the intesity of the spark and extends the life of the battery connectors.

Ed
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,298 Posts
db:

The exhasut pipe opening is 3 5/8" (stock Maverick exhaust opening). I did check the clearance between the back of the rotor and the adapter and all is well. I did the checks and runup on my test bench and all was well. I am not overly concerned about the watts as the plane flies well. However, if I "feel the need for more speed" I will change the motor to a higher KV and see what happens. The only problem with changing the KV to a higher one is the current goes up and the flight time goes down. I will put more time on the plane and see how it goes, but as I said, I am happy with the plane as it is and will probably leave it as it is for a while.

Ed
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Feb 2010
276 Posts
let us know if you get any video. That would be cool to see another conversion flying.