Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:18 AM
Tail heavy, too much glue.....
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Apr 2009
105 Posts
Discussion
Another New Workshop

Recently I have saw some amazing workshop's posted,
well, since I was a kid building Guillow's models on my bedroom floor I have dreamed of a proper workshop. Tomorrow I am pouring concrete in that dream shop I have waited a lifetime for.

My shop is very modest, 10x12x8, but I could not be any happier to finally have it. I suppose I can say it will be cozy and easy to heat during cold Northern winters.

Now I will be watching posts for Idea's, the most efficient building table's and such. This is my time to step up my game and start becoming deeply involved in the hobby that has eluded me since childhood.
-Del
delamite is offline Find More Posts by delamite
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,808 Posts
You might consider some 3/4 inch foam on the floor under the concrete. It will be a thermal break and make your floor a bit warmer. You could go high end and heat the floor???? That would be cool..... er, I mean warm
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:43 AM
Tail heavy, too much glue.....
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Apr 2009
105 Posts
great idea ken,
wish I had thought of that. But, I already have gravel down and no time to change ...bummer. I am considering foam insulation in the walls though, it's very costly. I am also adding on a kennel next summer so my best bud and build buddy "Hudson the cat", can spend time with me during the winter months.

I am torn between steel and Homasote for the interior wall finish. Steel is a bullet proof one step finish, but does not seem friendly to a modeling perspective (wall mountings and such). I also see the biggest problem as no storage space of built aircraft.
delamite is offline Find More Posts by delamite
Last edited by delamite; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:24 AM
Western New York
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
I covered my concrete floor with Dricore from Home Depot, which I coated with polyurethane. Works fairly well in Western NY...

Chris
chrisudy is offline Find More Posts by chrisudy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delamite View Post
great idea ken,
wish I had thought of that. But, I already have gravel down and no time to change ....
Maybe at least some of the fan fold used under siding. That would give you thermal break at least. It will only take up a 1/4 inch or so and would be inexpensive

Ken.
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, PA, Greene
Joined Jan 2005
312 Posts
I am torn between steel and Homasote for the interior wall finish. Steel is a bullet proof one step finish, but does not seem friendly to a modeling perspective (wall mountings and such). I also see the biggest problem as no storage space of built aircraft.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I would go with "white already painted steel" at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The white reflects light very good. Your shop will be bright inside.
You could always use Peg board. to hang the tools or just attach a sheet of 3/8 ply to the steel sidings to hang the tools. (thats what I would do."}

My garage is dark and dingy looking. Lots of lights but just dont feel right. Will change to white steel myself, someday.

Consider light when you choose.
st99
st99 is offline Find More Posts by st99