HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Thanks for the plans, Looks interesting and cheap, i might have to build one. Would a DX5e work and instead of carbon rods, can i use 12' bamboo skewers. Would this motor work

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130728245242?...84.m1423.l2649

or this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180908249532?...84.m1423.l2649

with this esc

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10A-10-Brushl...item3365e32213

i have a few 9g servos, that i hope i can use.
terminator1234 is offline Find More Posts by terminator1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
The DTD is not high wing and has no dihedral so it is not self righting , but if you keep it light it should be able to fly slow enough to keep under control . Start with the CG slightly forward , and move it back ( a LITTLE at a time ) if needed .
I would suggest low rates to begin with , and if possible have someone experienced trim it for you on that first flight ( start with both elevons SLIGHTLY up , with the right elevon SLIGHTLY higher than the left elevon ) .
There is no rudder , so it's " bank and yank " . To make a turn you initiate a bank with ailerons , then yank on the elevator to complete the turn .
If you have already built the paper airplane airframe , try that one first - it will be easier to fly than the DTD , especially if you put some dihedral in the wings .
Okay thank you. What would you say is good for low rates? Oh and the paper airplane one...well i didn't put any dihedral into it. I didn't know how to keep it up.... But if you tell me how to add dihedral, i can redo it. Also, are you sure that this power system is enough for the paper airplane? Its the one i was going to use for the DTD:

Dynam Combo that you linked me to

11.1v 800mah 20c lipo

8x6 slo fly prop
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by electricrc68; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator1234 View Post
Thanks for the plans, Looks interesting and cheap, i might have to build one. Would a DX5e work and instead of carbon rods, can i use 12' bamboo skewers. Would this motor work

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130728245242?...84.m1423.l2649

or this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180908249532?...84.m1423.l2649

with this esc

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10A-10-Brushl...item3365e32213

i have a few 9g servos, that i hope i can use.
That 80 watt motor might work if you build light . Yes , it takes a 10 amp ESC .
Bamboo skewers will be fine . Dx5e will also work , you would have to set up delta mixing .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Okay thank you. What would you say is good for low rates? Oh and the paper airplane one...well i didn't put any dihedral into it. I didn't know how to keep it up.... But if you tell me how to add dihedral, i can redo it. Also, are you sure that this power system is enough for the paper airplane? Its the one i was going to use for the DTD:

Dynam Combo that you linked me to

11.1v 800mah 20c lipo

8x6 slo fly prop
I would definitely add dihedral to the paper airplane one . You can probably cut the wings off ( with a NEW , SHARP blade ) about a 1/4 " from where they are glued together , and then re-glue them back together with dihedral .
The way I do it is : lay one wing flat on some wax paper ( on a flat table or work bench ) , then put hot glue on the first 3-4" starting at the nose . Press the other wing up against it while holding it up at an angle to the first one , keep holding it that way until the glue sets . Put more hot glue ( 3-4" again ) on the flat wing ( on the wax paper ) by the prop slot , then press the other wing up against it while holding it up at the same angle . After that glue sets , put more hot glue ( 3-4" again ) on the flat wing ( on the wax paper ) by the tail end , press the tail end of the other wing against that while holding it up at the same angle as before . After that glue sets , run a bead of glue along the entire joint , top and bottom .
The greater that angle the more dihedral you'll have - and the more self righting you'll have . BUT , too much dihedral and your wings will lose lift .
That motor combo should fly the paper airplane OK if you keep it light , and it will probably be a little overpowered for the DTD . Oh well , you'll have unlimited vertical .
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Thanks. I have two more foam boards so im going to just restart...besides, I messed up the prop slot pretty bad. One problem....I don't have wax paper. Any other way you can think of? If not, I will try and think up a way. Also, how would you say i will be able to keep the plane light? Like what exactly should I do to keep it light?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Hmm, you know what, Im just going to build the delta. So what would you say is good for low rates?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, you know what, Im just going to build the delta. So what would you say is good for low rates?
Maybe 60 % low rates and 20% expo
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I have two more foam boards so im going to just restart...besides, I messed up the prop slot pretty bad. One problem....I don't have wax paper. Any other way you can think of? If not, I will try and think up a way. Also, how would you say i will be able to keep the plane light? Like what exactly should I do to keep it light?
Aluminum foil might work instead of wax paper - you mainly don't want to glue it to your table .
To keep a plane light use only as much glue/tape/re-enforcement rods etc. as is necessary for the airframe , and use the smallest battery that will give your motor enough power and give the plane the correct CG .
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Okay cool thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
No dihedral and no airfoil. Amazing. I went to Dollar Tree and bought foam ater reading this thread. I plan to fly my first attempt tomorrow. I will try it with flat wings "as is" then add some dihedral and see what differences it makes. I am going high powered with the inrunner off a Stryker-C.
j beede is offline Find More Posts by j beede
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j beede View Post
No dihedral and no airfoil. Amazing. I went to Dollar Tree and bought foam ater reading this thread. I plan to fly my first attempt tomorrow. I will try it with flat wings "as is" then add some dihedral and see what differences it makes. I am going high powered with the inrunner off a Stryker-C.
It does have a KF airfoil on top of the wing - not sure how much difference it makes . I'd be curious to know how it flies with more dihedral , if you could let me know .
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
Flew my first DTD build today. Actually the first RC plane I have ever built from scratch. No air foil, no dihedral. The plane has 30" wingspan (of course) and I set the CG about 8" behind the point where the leading edges would intersect. It hand launched nicely under full power and flew better than I expected. With no air foil it required steady back pressure on the stick. Very steady during straight and level flying--that surprised me. I had to take it easy on the throttle as my 40 amp ESC hasn't arrived yet. I ran a 7x5 prop, 3S, 20C battery. It measures 410W on the bench WOT. That's about double the recommeded continuous power per the datasheet for my SA Sport 2212-6 outrunner. Too much fun! I am going to cut the wings off and add some dihedral.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
I was going to use the inrunner 400 motor off my Stryker... but $20 for the SA SPort 2212-6 outrunner from my LHS was such a good deal that I decided not to risk the Parkzone ($$$) motor on my prototype flyer.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j beede View Post
Flew my first DTD build today. Actually the first RC plane I have ever built from scratch. No air foil, no dihedral. The plane has 30" wingspan (of course) and I set the CG about 8" behind the point where the leading edges would intersect. It hand launched nicely under full power and flew better than I expected. With no air foil it required steady back pressure on the stick. Very steady during straight and level flying--that surprised me. I had to take it easy on the throttle as my 40 amp ESC hasn't arrived yet. I ran a 7x5 prop, 3S, 20C battery. It measures 410W on the bench WOT. That's about double the recommeded continuous power per the datasheet for my SA Sport 2212-6 outrunner. Too much fun! I am going to cut the wings off and add some dihedral.
I'm glad your DTD flew well ! That steady back pressure on the stick ( reflex ) you mentioned is needed on deltas to keep the nose slightly up so it can "plane" on the air , much like the tips on water skiis need to be slightly up to "plane" on the water . It's best just to trim a little up elevator before you start .
Any photos/videos ?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Feb 2006
26 Posts
I cut the wings off my DTD and reattached them with about 7 dihedral. It was dark when I finished so we will see what adding some dihedral does tomorrow.