HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Good points,

The servos I have set to minimual deadband. Will move pushrods closer to center servo arm as I finish the V-tail ball links in back. Buying them at lunch today.

On the existing tray you could just widen one of the slots and put two servo's side by side along with placing screw mounting block under servo tray for the servo screws. I think that may happen, Thanks!
This would also let you shorten the servo tray for even more room inside. You are right this has one wide fuse.

This is my first moldy of this type and wanted to go as the vendor had it setup. On future builds this can-will change from what I learn here. I may machine a plug for the mpx6 connector to fit in the DB9 location later. Easy to do.

I may be wrong on the servo tray being carbon, Did not get to verify this with the vendor yesterday, will try to find out today. Have this as a action item for earlier post by SJ.

Thanks,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Torque is not a problem in v-tail servo, but dead band and resoution is. Shorter horns are better.

Vulture has quite wide fuselage. I would not install v-tail servos in line in center of the fuselage. Having them closer to fuselage side makes sraighter run for the pushrod and prevents the forward servo pushrod to intefere with the rearward servo.

Just as a personal note, I think mpx6 connecter is more robust and easyer to solder than the 9 pin connector.

Overall the Vulture looks like a very nice F3J plane. However, like mentioned before, I think carbon servo is not what we want with 2.4 radios. I see no problem with plywood servo tray, or very stiff fiberglass lamination, if the manufacturer wants to make it out of composites.
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:30 AM
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2008
60 Posts
Hey Tony,
here's a short video of my third round of the Pam-Cup, Bulgaria with Vulture 3500, this is from website of Fritz Juker, a friend from Switzerland.

Vulture3500f3j (1 min 15 sec)

and picture

Cody Remington flight settings you can get from the site of the SMM. My not very different. I tried to fly with the CG to 94-96 mm in calm weather. Good work on the model.

Happy landings
Nikolay
NikolayPeichev is offline Find More Posts by NikolayPeichev
Last edited by NikolayPeichev; Feb 03, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
hi Tony,
The servo tray is glass, not carbon, I installed 809's side by side.
allowed me to run shorter horns. Also found Du-Bro 256 threaded
ball links fit very well in the tail, make sure to glue or JB-weld them
in place, and the nylon link fits very well onto control rods. V-tails
really like to have the control movement the same and this is one way
to help acheve it by having the control rods the same length.
Phil
Philip Hallford is offline Find More Posts by Philip Hallford
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Thanks Nikolay and Phillip,

Watch for some tweaks soon.

I have a ballast idea coming very soon.
It would be nice to get your feedback when I get it done, as you have the planes in hand.

Thanks,
Tony
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:26 PM
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2008
60 Posts
Ballast

Hi Tony, my ballast is a set of brass bands 450x20x2 mm with two holes 5.5 mm /10 mm step in the front end. In the rear end brace them with duct tape. Put 2, 3, 4 as needed.

Regards
Nikolay
NikolayPeichev is offline Find More Posts by NikolayPeichev
Last edited by NikolayPeichev; Feb 03, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Hi Nikolay,

Just got time to watch the video, sounds like the wind was blowing good.
The Vulture seemed to handle it good. Did you have ballast?

I got the bug to get this in the air provided the weather co-operates. Not this weekend but next weekend it will be ready. Sunday morning is the day I get to fly.

I was talking to Skip and he suggested 6-8 and 16oz sets.
Have a design that is quick changing between weights and allows you to fine tune the CG. Next week I will have pictures of it. Will be making 8 and 16oz sets.

Just finished cub scout meeting here and have a honey do, so tomorrow will be more pictures and progress.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Hi SJ,

Fixed info to be correct.
The tray is carbon fiber, See Cody's answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe101 View Post
Work not done at factory is to meet price point... Is this considered 2.4 friendly with carbon servo tray? 2.4 install would need a little more attention to placement.

Looking forward to continued reports.

thx

sj
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 03, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:25 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hallford View Post
hi Tony,
The servo tray is glass, not carbon, I installed 809's side by side.
allowed me to run shorter horns. Also found Du-Bro 256 threaded
ball links fit very well in the tail, make sure to glue or JB-weld them
in place, and the nylon link fits very well onto control rods. V-tails
really like to have the control movement the same and this is one way
to help acheve it by having the control rods the same length.
Phil
Hey Phil,

The nose is all glass, but the servo tray is made out of carbon. There is plenty of room in front of the tray for the antennas.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:08 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody303 View Post
Hey Phil,

The nose is all glass, but the servo tray is made out of carbon. There is plenty of room in front of the tray for the antennas.

Cody

As a newbie to 2.4, I have to ask, "what about when the plane is flying away from you?"

Won't the carbon tray interfere with the 2.4 antennas?

I guess you can just as easily say the same of the wing though.....

R,
target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:47 PM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
yep,, 2.4,,,, not an exact science when your mixing different installs, wiring, servos, carbon types, carbon kevlar types, nose weight, voltage regulators, battery readers, and ballast types.

Basic Test:
Everyone should be doing a 360 walk around bench test, then a 360 walk around pre first flight test as recommended by your radio manufacturer,, with their new plane to see if theres a radio glitch. Then when your happy, fly the plane away and toward you and about as far as you can and still see the plane coming and going. Works for me!

Its the same test when we flew 72mhz.
Happy trails, thermals, Richard

Now back to watching the Vulture take wings!
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Last edited by Rich Burnoski; Feb 04, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: complete?
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Splitting time between machining a winch spool for a friend and finishing VTail.
Moved servo's side by side also, I like this better than down the middle.
You can do either with the servo tray.
Centered the servo's and linkage adjust and put one vtail in and marked the center of the ball link. See pictures.
Then removed the rods and re-measured the ball and linkage so I could cut the rod correctly. When done put all back together and verified good to glue.
It was good to go, so the JB weld came out. Sanded the rod end up a bit.
I drilled the brass coupler out with a 0.083 drill bit to fit the rod. Still lots of brass so no problems. Put JB in coupler and all over the rod end. Then pushed the rod on and pushing out the glue for a good fill. Waited for glue to set then gave the good old tug of war with the end to verify it is on solid. Did not budge.
Install linkages on the VTail ball linkage. Everything still free and moves smooth with servo movement. Cody recommend to cut the end off for easy removal of the VTail and linkage connect-dis-connect. I may do this.
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 04, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:46 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2006
197 Posts
Awesome thread Tony.
Bobalew is offline Find More Posts by Bobalew
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:50 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,327 Posts
If you use a nice razorsaw, you can likely tape it back on when flying if you want and still remove it for transport.
A small section of aluminum tubing and carbon rod will help hold it w/o interfering with the rods and it coming apart.

When is the maiden?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Target,

Good Idea!

It will be done next week, I get a hour or two here and there. Not this sunday but the following if weather permits.
Also have to get the garage ready for girl scout cookies soon, the semi shows up, we are the cubard for the area.

Thanks,
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
If you use a nice razorsaw, you can likely tape it back on when flying if you want and still remove it for transport.
A small section of aluminum tubing and carbon rod will help hold it w/o interfering with the rods and it coming apart.

When is the maiden?

R,
Target
Last edited by kilwein; Feb 04, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
Hi Bob,

Thanks, The way I figure it, the gang at boulder will have some stick time to critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalew View Post
Awesome thread Tony.