HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
Discussion
Retaining Wall Estimate

Can anyone ball park an estimate for me? Around 5-6 yards excavated, and a 60 foot long, 2 foot high wall made of pressure treated 6 x 6. Theres not much digging as this is replacing the current deteriorated wall, just moving it back 6" or so.
strouse is offline Find More Posts by strouse
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
780 Posts
There are alot of contractors looking for work whom will be more than happy to provide an estimate free of charge. Get a couple.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Are you in Alaska or Florida?

Seriously, just get three or four bids from licensed contractors and you'll know the answer.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
There are alot of contractors looking for work whom will be more than happy to provide an estimate free of charge. Get a couple.
Believe it or not the problem I'm having is not being able to find anyone interested. This has historically been a problem in my area (SE PA). I have two who didn't return calls, and one who came out. He was supposed to have an estimate to me a week ago. I just left a second message for him.

I'm just trying to get an idea of cost so I have something to base his off of.

If anyone knows of anyone good in SE PA I can keep them pretty busy. I have three projects held up right now waiting on stuff like this.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
780 Posts
Sorry cant really help you as its not my trade.

I wouldent want to deal with a cotractor that ignores the job for a week anyhow. Surely you can find someone else.

Make sure you mention the three other jobs as they may be looking at the retaining wall job as 'too small' to be worth their time.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strouse View Post
Can anyone ball park an estimate for me? Around 5-6 yards excavated, and a 60 foot long, 2 foot high wall made of pressure treated 6 x 6. Theres not much digging as this is replacing the current deteriorated wall, just moving it back 6" or so.
Based on the Home Depot price of a 6x6 pt (you'd want to order 10' lengths) here's what I come up with;

6x6x10' PT x 24 pcs @ $25.00 each = $600.00
3' long drift pins (to hold everything together) $ 50.00
10 lbs 16p hot dip galvanized nails $ 20.00
1 Carpenter and one helper (2 days max) $400.00

Taxes and Delivery of materials would be extra.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined May 2004
96 Posts
Why not use retaining wall block. Anyone can lay them, and unless you have half a mountain behind them; they will hold easily. Make sure the lip is down and stagger the joints. They are 1 foot wide so you will need 180 of them, and in the Home Depot here they are $1.88 each. See down at the bottom of this site.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Marvinwc is online now Find More Posts by Marvinwc
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
780 Posts
When you say 'anyone' I know that I would be one sore puppy after laying a few courses of that.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
The first question is "why are you replacing this retaining wall?"
The second question is " how long do you expect the solution to be in place?"

Ballpark, I'd say around $3K.
(Cost of ALL Materials X 2) + 25% = the absolute bottom of the scale for a contractor.
Rufcut is offline Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Believe it or not the problem I'm having is not being able to find anyone interested. This has historically been a problem in my area (SE PA). I have two who didn't return calls, and one who came out. He was supposed to have an estimate to me a week ago. I just left a second message for him.
Isn't that something in these times. Maybe you should contact the regional vocational schools and tell them there's a business opportunity for some of their students.

But maybe no one wants to do that type of work anymore, except for the motivated immigrants.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,093 Posts
I know ten trustworthy guys well experienced in retaining walls that would fight each other for that job down here. Wonder what the problem is in PA?
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:40 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
I'm with Marvin - unless you really can't afford it (or you are in your 80's) - go with one of the stone retaining wall systems - it will never rot, and if installed on a proper base should last just about forever while looking great.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Want wood for purely asthetic reasons, the current wall is pretty rotten. No point in argung for concrete, been mulling this over for almost a year.

If I were in better shape or my boys were five years older I'd be doing it myself, plus in my township you can't get rid of construction materials. You have to order a dumpster which usually brings the cost up close to what a contractor would charge.

I don't understand the shortage of smaller contracting outfits. I'm up to two no call backs, one guy basically saying its easier to mow, trim, & deliver mulch, and one who I called again yesterday asking for the estimate.

In the end I might have to get in shape and do this myself.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Want wood for purely asthetic reasons, the current wall is pretty rotten. No point in argung for concrete, been mulling this over for almost a year.

If I were in better shape or my boys were five years older I'd be doing it myself, plus in my township you can't get rid of construction materials. You have to order a dumpster which usually brings the cost up close to what a contractor would charge.

I don't understand the shortage of smaller contracting outfits. I'm up to two no call backs, one guy basically saying its easier to mow, trim, & deliver mulch, and one who I called again yesterday asking for the estimate.

If I didn't live so far away I'd be happy to build your retaining wall.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:

Hate to preach, but if you still have young ones and "shape" is already an issue - - irrespective of this wall - do what you gotta do - those boys need ya !
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2