Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:43 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Discussion
Blade Scout CX Three (3) Channel 2.4 Ghz RTF

Blade just introduced this new model:

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ProdId=BLH2700

It's a 3 channel that uses a swash plate instead of a horizontal tail rotor, with a 2.4 Gig radio system.

Pretty cute!
Ed

Edit: Here's a couple of videos I've found on this heli:

Blade Scout CX (1 min 29 sec)

Blade Scout CX RTF Micro Rc Helicopter (2 min 47 sec)

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Sep 04, 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added YouTube Videos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Mode 4 as you'd expect. I see some stores mistakenly list it as Mode 2 though the Tx images make it clear this is Mode 4.

I thought we might start seeing these before long. Any prices listed anywhere?
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Ouch, about $50 plus shipping it looks like.

Manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf
Last edited by SubtleT; Sep 03, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:27 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Yes besides helis, most 3 channel fixed wing aircraft too are mode 4 so this axis control configuration is a lot more common than some people here suggest.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
Mode 4 as you'd expect. I see some stores mistakenly list it as Mode 2 though the Tx images make it clear this is Mode 4.

I thought we might start seeing these before long. Any prices listed anywhere?
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Yes besides helis, most 3 channel fixed wing aircraft too are mode 4 so this axis control configuration is a lot more common than some people here suggest.
I wasn't aware of that, good information.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:54 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The concept is interesting, but it's not worth $50, actually it would be just fine for the $20-$30 range, I 'll wait for the no-name companies to start cranking out similar toys for much cheaper. If this configuration catches on at more competitive pricing, it may drive down the prices of cheap 3 CH Infrared controlled toy helis.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:37 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Ha! Ha! Always the "bargain hunter"...huh DT?

I too would like to see companies like Syma, and a few others introduce swash plate activated 3 channel ultra micros. Of course Double Horse has already done this with their much larger single rotor models (9100 and 9104) so it may be a matter of time for the coaxial type.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
The concept is interesting, but it's not worth $50, actually it would be just fine for the $20-$30 range, I 'll wait for the no-name companies to start cranking out similar toys for much cheaper. If this configuration catches on at more competitive pricing, it may drive down the prices of cheap 3 CH Infrared controlled toy helis.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I think it is coming.

You can already find 4CH coax helis for about $25 shipped (IR) and $35 shipped (2.4GHz), though perhaps not of quite this quality (?).

By dropping the extra channel there are savings of a servo and links, left Tx stick 1D instead of 2D, etc. This means both cost and weight savings. Add the savings from dropping the tail rotor, motor, and wiring...

Ultimately these could be nice helis in the $20/$30 range.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Ha! Ha! Always the "bargain hunter"...huh DT?

I too would like to see companies like Syma, and a few others introduce swash plate activated 3 channel ultra micros. Of course Double Horse has already done this with their much larger single rotor models (9100 and 9104) so it may be a matter of time for the coaxial type.

Ed
Yep, well you know me! Gotta be cheap, otherwise it won't even catch my attention.

This 3 channel configuration could pretty much take over the 3 channel coaxial market in time, I welcome the proliferation of inexpensive RF controlled cyclic equipped 3 CH coaxial toy helis! Can you say goodbye to those silly and ineffective upward facing tail rotors? and goodbye to being unable to fly in sunlight or in front of your TV or near certain light fixtures
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I think it is coming.

You can already find 4CH coax helis for about $25 shipped (IR) and $35 shipped (2.4GHz), though perhaps not of quite this quality (?).

By dropping the extra channel there are savings of a servo and links, left Tx stick 1D instead of 2D, etc. This means both cost and weight savings. Add the savings from dropping the tail rotor, motor, and wiring...

Ultimately these could be nice helis in the $20/$30 range.

Yep! I think you are right, I think this makes sense as the natural progression of the 3 channel coaxial design, especially since 2.4Ghz has now become so cheap to manufacture, it makes sense to use this control scheme in value oriented toy helis. Can you say goodbye to Infrared?

$20-$30 RF controlled 3 channel coaxials I'd be all over that action!!!!!!! HA! HA!
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:18 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,045 Posts
they would still have only 3 channels and cant "crawl" ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:36 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
they would still have only 3 channels and cant "crawl" ...
Let's not start this debate again. It's "horses for courses". In spite of the fact that I own a number of 4 channel, and one 6 channel heli, I find 3 channel models still a lot of fun to fly, and more relaxing.

I've enjoyed flying my 3 channel Syma S111G so much, that I just ordered an S108G (3 channel of course) if that tells you anything about how much I "miss" using ailerons.

I think E-Flite/Blade will hit a "home run" with this little bird, especially with such a short learning curve.

Just my opinion.
Ed
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2009
10,045 Posts
then try landing them on a 3x3 inch pad (which is really doable with a 4ch submicro) ... and you will see how much "fun "that is and why I always mention the "crawl-factor" ...

... and I can assure you, thats when a 3ch stops being fun and relaxing ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
What's missing on a 3 channel? Is it the ability to make the nose/tail point in the direction you want? How can you control that on a 3 channel?
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2009
10,045 Posts
What is missing (for me anyway) is the ability of a 3ch to be in a "deadstill" hover and then move ONLY straight to the left or straight to the right ... and nowhere else

(thats what is called "crawl" ... again, to all I know anyway.)

Now if you try to land a SymaS107 on a 3x3inch helipad, you will see how almost impossible that is and how much you would need this crawl ability to "facilitate" the landing (ie. even manage to do it at all)
With a 4ch however, this will be much less of an impossibility once you practice this for a while - in particular because of the 4ch's ability to "crawl"
RCG Plus Member