New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2015, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Discussion
V120D02S Stock Motor Rewiring - pictures, video

I had spare motor that was not performing good anymore so I decided to rewire it as suggested by ej189 with 30AWG enameled wire with 7 turns delta wiring. The stock is 9 turns delta wiring. He actually suggested 29AWG but I could only get 30AWG. The difference is only 0.03 mm.

I can say that it all went well and today I tested the motor hovering for 1 minute indoors. After that I tried the motor and it was quite hot. If I flew it for another 4 minutes or so it would be probably too hot.Hopefully it will be ok for outside. I still have to test that. At the moment I am using stock 10T pinion. Maybe 9T pinion would be better ?

The motor has got bit more power then stock.

I have attached some pictures and video

V120D02S Stock Motor Rewired (0 min 25 sec)
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Last edited by jamichx; Jun 17, 2015 at 07:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:55 AM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Update

I just got back from outside. I flew 3 packs of older batteries and the motor held very well even I abused it a lot . More power and flight time the same.

The truth is that motor runs hotter then stock but its was acceptable. It was not very hot outside though so will see later how the motor copes with hotter weather.

Overall I am satisfied with it and this option is much cheaper then buying new motor.

One little warning before you try this your self. It is quite difficult to get that motor apart and once I have done that another surprise was waiting from me. The wire is glued to the coils so it is quite a work to get it off.

This project was definitely fun and nice challenge. If I get some video of heli in action I will post it here .
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
United Arab Emirates
Joined Dec 2014
865 Posts
Nice!, where did you get the wire from?.
NoLimitRC is online now Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
Old Jun 17, 2015, 03:11 PM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitRC View Post
Nice!, where did you get the wire from?.
I bought it from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-25mm-ENA...item20f427bf3b
Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:57 AM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Update

Even all was good I have decided to rewire the motor again this time I have used star wiring with 5 turns which should give me about the same power as 7 turns delta but I was hoping for less heat.

After I tested the motor and tried it in real flight I can say that this time the motor was not producing that much heat and it seems I have gained just a little bit of more power. Also battery is not drained so much as with delta wiring.

I think I will leave it as it is right now and give it few more tests.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by Ascension
United Kingdom, Ipswich
Joined Oct 2013
68 Posts
good work i seem to have an excess of 1s motors at least one of which i should re-wire for 2s and ive been hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would give me a few tips...so far ive not found much
Ascension is offline Find More Posts by Ascension
Last edited by Ascension; Jun 25, 2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:42 AM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
good work i seem to have an excess of 1s motors at least one of which i should re-wire for 2s and ive been hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would give me a few tips...so far ive not found much
I am afraid I will not be able to help you with that. I do not know the wiring on 2s motors.

I guess if the count of coils and magnets is the same you just need to know how many turns and what tipe of wiring you need. I never owned 2s motor but maybe someone else could help ?

If I was experimenting I would try less turns using delta wiring and tried it and then I would go from there. But that's me

Of course its better to know exactly what you are doing it will save time and money
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Ray Lan
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx View Post
Even all was good I have decided to rewire the motor again this time I have used star wiring with 5 turns which should give me about the same power as 7 turns delta but I was hoping for less heat.

After I tested the motor and tried it in real flight I can say that this time the motor was not producing that much heat and it seems I have gained just a little bit of more power. Also battery is not drained so much as with delta wiring.

I think I will leave it as it is right now and give it few more tests.
Hi jamichx,

I was also about to follow ej's way of going 7 turn delta, until I read your post. Items ordered but have yet to arrive.

Can you give me more info on the 5 turn star/wye wind? What wire thickness? 10t pinion?
If it does have same/more power at less heat and current consumption it will definitely be a better idea to terminate as star/wye!

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!
Ray Lan is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lan
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:01 PM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lan View Post
Can you give me more info on the 5 turn star/wye wind? What wire thickness? 10t pinion?
If it does have same/more power at less heat and current consumption it will definitely be a better idea to terminate as star/wye!

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!
Wiring see picture and video, wire I used was 29AWG, stock pinion.

I will try 6 turns next time.

Here is video how to do star winding.

Motor winding #1 (7 min 3 sec)
Last edited by jamichx; Jun 28, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by Ray Lan
Joined Jul 2010
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx View Post
Wiring see picture and video, wire I used was 29AWG, stock pinion.

I will try 6 turns next time.

Here is video how to do star winding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHYlWKICkqc
Thank you!
Ray Lan is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lan