Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Awwwww, you guys are sooo sweet! Thank you very much.

I'm coping. One step at a time. Today is t going to be much, just finish the BoT, get more closely acquainted with the status of the bills, and maybe go see the custom piece of artwork that used to be a 131 Brava. I hear its a convertible now. About that, I'll be calling the local FIAT guru to see if he wants any parts off it. I'm sure he will.

Baby steps first. And doughnuts. My sister is bringing Psycho Doughnuts, mmmm!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
Katie, let me know if I can do anything! Crap, I was just talking to Dory on sunday!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Katie,

I want to offer my condolences to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
The absolute worst case was a +/- 45 sheer which failed significantly earlier than either the horizontal or vertical grain sheer web.
Laquerhead, I know that this has been whipped & rewhipped and I don't want to start another war over sheer web. I am wondering where you got your info. Adam(wyowindworks?) did some spar testing and I'm wondering if that was your source on this subject? If so please look at post #27 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1368226&page=2 AGAIN, I'm not trying to start an argument w/you or anyone. I have built a carbon capped spruce spar +45-45 degree sheer web and it's the stiffest spar I have ever built.

ps,also take a look at JW's latest creation from Vladimir, the Maxa at 4meters weighing in at 60oz also uses 45 degree balsa on the spar.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Laquerhead, I know that this has been whipped & rewhipped and I don't want to start another war over sheer web. I am wondering where you got your info. Adam(wyowindworks?) did some spar testing and I'm wondering if that was your source on this subject? If so please look at post #27 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1368226&page=2 AGAIN, I'm not trying to start an argument w/you or anyone. I have built a carbon capped spruce spar +45-45 degree sheer web and it's the stiffest spar I have ever built.

ps,also take a look at JW's latest creation from Vladimir, the Maxa at 4meters weighing in at 60oz also uses 45 degree balsa on the spar.

No worries man. I'm all about learning. It's not like there's a metric boat-load of information and misinformation to struggle through. That's why we have collective learning, right?

Thanks for the info! Maybe I need to start building some 45 degree jigs.

If I counted the number of times Don Stackhouse corrected and/or educated me I'd have to take my socks off.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Last edited by Lacquerhead; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,902 Posts
Katie,

This is terrible news. Hang in there, you've got friends all over the world wishing you the best. I'm not the praying type, but you've been in my thoughts all day.

In a more perfect world stuff like this wouldn't happen, but if it did toy airplanes would qualify as therapy on your health insurance, (at least to subsidize a kit or two). Don't underestimate the power of play, and the friends involved for healing.

Condolences,
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Katie,

Take care of yourself first. Don't feel you "have to call half the county" unless you think you'll feel better for it.

If you are going to be working with any sharp or dangerous tools, think it through carefully first, and think about putting it off if you're not sure you're with it enough to do it. If you are like me, you should beware of sending ill considered, grumpy, critical emails at work!

If it helps to think about other things, the top of the tie dyed wing reminds me of Mandelbrot images I've seen. maybe if you can find a way to print on silk?
http://math.hws.edu/xJava/MB/Mandelb...ngs/index.html
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Maybe just make balsa plywood and slice diagonally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
No worries man. I'm all about learning right the first time. It's not like there's a metric boat-load of information and misinformation to struggle through. That's why we have collective learning, right?

Thanks for the info! Maybe I need to start building some 45 degree jigs.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post

I read the thread you specified ... interesting to note that the vertical shear web only gets you 3 to 5 % improvement in strength when compared to a shear web with horizontal grain. Not what I had expected.

Now that you mention stiffness ... Adam didn't measure stiffness, instead he measured ultimate strength.

Has anyone measured the difference in stiffness between the construction methods?
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,122 Posts
Katie, back in my Human Factors class in college, one of the things we covered was the effects of stress This included a long list of life events, in order of which caused the most stress. Sudden loss of a spouse was the top item on the list. Please be extra careful as you work through this.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:51 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
Katie and Dory stopped by the raffle booth at the Fall Fest this year, forgot I had this photo! Hang in there darling!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Hi Katie, know I'm only on here every now and then but I read what happened and thought I'd drop in and wish you all the best. I don't really have any experiences that rate up with that, and I can't imagine what you're going through, but hang in there and remember the good times.

For what its worth, I always find that flying helps me relax. Whether the big stuff or the things we use RC for, they just seem to relax people.

Again, all the best - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Oh, Al. That photo is precious. Thanks! Please e-mail me the full size version. Just look for the little green nut (all one word) with a pacbell and a dot net. (Anyone who wants that address, keep it, use it.)

Folks, I promise to be careful. The BoT ARF is past the sharp pointy things stage, and is in the twisty, sticky and wiry things stage. Funny -- Dynaflite forgot the wing screws, and Aero Micro dosn't stock them. I'll have to go to Olander in Sunnyvale fifteen minutes away to get them. If there is a break of ANY sort Sunday ill maiden it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Katie,

Take care of yourself first. Don't feel you "have to call half the county" unless you think you'll feel better for it.

If you are going to be working with any sharp or dangerous tools, think it through carefully first, and think about putting it off if you're not sure you're with it enough to do it. If you are like me, you should beware of sending ill considered, grumpy, critical emails at work!

If it helps to think about other things, the top of the tie dyed wing reminds me of Mandelbrot images I've seen. maybe if you can find a way to print on silk?
http://math.hws.edu/xJava/MB/Mandelb...ngs/index.html
Lincoln, I have been a HUGE fan of fractals ever since I learned of them in middle school. Tie dye spirals also remind me of Mandelbrot. Thanks for that link! I'll have to play with it.

Just wait until I finish the kit BoT.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Katie.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman