HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:52 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
Discussion
dark bottom vs light bottom orientation

I see thee is a lot of controversy out there with colors for the best orientation of the plane in flight especially when you have a 3D Edge type electric 40 inch wing.
I Googled some images of bottom wings and saw that some are dark bottom and light top and others are opposite, yet in a procedure for painting and coloring for best orientation I read that the bottom should always be dark in color as opposed to the top of the plane , I'm in process of painting the bottom of my edge and maybe adding some round circle deals after that, so does anyone have any opinion on this matter?
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Last edited by Rhondas; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:33 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,213 Posts
I've read dark on bottom also and it works for me. Black stripes work best for my eyes.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
I always go for dark bottom, light top. Lost an airplane many years ago because it was far away and was upside down when I thought it was upright, not helped by the fact it flew neutrally. It was back when I was learning but I try to stick to the same pattern I'm used to to avoid issues.

With 3D planes I guess it's probably less important as you tend to be closer and changing orientation alot more so I figure you just need to make sure both sides are very different and you'll be fine.
Madness_3d is offline Find More Posts by Madness_3d
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:07 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
dark colored bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness_3d View Post
I always go for dark bottom, light top. Lost an airplane many years ago because it was far away and was upside down when I thought it was upright, not helped by the fact it flew neutrally. It was back when I was learning but I try to stick to the same pattern I'm used to to avoid issues.

With 3D planes I guess it's probably less important as you tend to be closer and changing orientation alot more so I figure you just need to make sure both sides are very different and you'll be fine.

I figure if I keep all my models the same there is less chance of a mix up on the orientation, I guess your right about its a matter of preference or what you start out with in your models configurations of colors
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,013 Posts
http://www.jcrc.com/News/Articles/Ar...olorTheory.htm is an interesting read.

Some flyers also use a rudimentary scale consisting of stripes of varying sizes on the underside of the wing so you can judge how high it is based on which sized stripes you can distinguish. Probably not important for 3D sky lulz.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
I do black and white "piano key" stripes on all of my planes. My eyes know where and what to look at no matter which one I fly.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
definitely not transparent on bottom. Edge 41 drove me crazy in sun, bottom looked like top except stripes-added some roundels to make it evident (and looked cool)!
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i don't think color makes that much of a difference, unless it's a solid color. to me solid colors tend to wash out in the sky and it's hard to tell the difference between the top and bottoms. if you break the colors up with stripes or circles, or squares, any design it seems to make it alot easier for me to see.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:18 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
495 Posts
color theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
http://www.jcrc.com/News/Articles/Ar...olorTheory.htm is an interesting read.

Some flyers also use a rudimentary scale consisting of stripes of varying sizes on the underside of the wing so you can judge how high it is based on which sized stripes you can distinguish. Probably not important for 3D sky lulz.

Very good article