SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:22 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
A couple of things Zotya - the HXT 500 is analogue not digital, and more importantly the Trex 250 is a very finicky heli to set-up, particularly the tail. It really needs a decently quality, fast, servo if you want the tail to work at all well - the HXT500 really isn't good enough.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 04:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,576 Posts
Zotya,

A small digital coreless servo that I've had great luck with on the tails of my different 250's is the Emax ES9051. It has .8kg of torque vs the HXT500's .6kg. and it's speed is .09 secs. They're $5.00 and free shipping at BG. A real steal as far as I'm concerned.

I bought HXT500's to use on the cyclics of a small fp and was so underwhelmed by their quality that I never even mounted them. I did try, but their mounting tabs reminded me of hard gelatin they were so soft and flexible. That's when I tried the ES9051's.

I was greatly impressed by the ES9051's when I noticed that they had enough torque to bend the servo arms like spaghetti if the endpoints weren't set correctly.

That's when I decided to try them on the tail of one of my 250's. I found that they worked great in that application, even for mild 3D. (Which is all that I'm presently capable of.) Their light weight (4.1 gms.) is an added bonus on the little 250's.

I've mentioned these servos before on the Skyartec Wasp X3V thread as they are one of the few servos that will work well with Skyartecs X302V and X303V 4 in 1's.

Give one a try: I think that you'll be happy with it.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
A couple of things Zotya - the HXT 500 is analogue not digital, and more importantly the Trex 250 is a very finicky heli to set-up, particularly the tail. It really needs a decently quality, fast, servo if you want the tail to work at all well - the HXT500 really isn't good enough.
I deeply apologize then for my incorrect knowledge. In this case I believe I will have to set the frame rate to 22ms and set the gyro to analog.
zotya0919 is offline Find More Posts by zotya0919
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:04 AM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Zotya,

A small digital coreless servo that I've had great luck with on the tails of my different 250's is the Emax ES9051. It has .8kg of torque vs the HXT500's .6kg. and it's speed is .09 secs. They're $5.00 and free shipping at BG. A real steal as far as I'm concerned.

I bought HXT500's to use on the cyclics of a small fp and was so underwhelmed by their quality that I never even mounted them. I did try, but their mounting tabs reminded me of hard gelatin they were so soft and flexible. That's when I tried the ES9051's.

I was greatly impressed by the ES9051's when I noticed that they had enough torque to bend the servo arms like spaghetti if the endpoints weren't set correctly.

That's when I decided to try them on the tail of one of my 250's. I found that they worked great in that application, even for mild 3D. (Which is all that I'm presently capable of.) Their light weight (4.1 gms.) is an added bonus on the little 250's.

I've mentioned these servos before on the Skyartec Wasp X3V thread as they are one of the few servos that will work well with Skyartecs X302V and X303V 4 in 1's.

That's a new order then, I'll give them a go.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:07 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotya0919 View Post
I deeply apologize then for my incorrect knowledge. In this case I believe I will have to set the frame rate to 22ms and set the gyro to analog.
Zotya - no apology necessary, my apologies if my response seemed unfriendly - not intended

We're all here to share knowledge and interest in the hobby ...
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Zotya - no apology necessary, my apologies if my response seemed unfriendly - not intended

We're all here to share knowledge and interest in the hobby ...
Not at all did it seem unfriendly, I am thankful to all of you for taking the time and help me out. Now at least I know that the spare HXT s has to be in analog not to destroy them.
Quick 2 questions: 1) Are the turnigy tgy-9035 servos analog too
2) if they are digital, can I still try to get the HXT to work with them until the digital tail servo arrives? I would like to see it off the ground now, please understand that I am over-excited
Old Nov 25, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,576 Posts
I believe that the Turnigy 9025's are analog. There's no reason why you can't use them whether they're analog or digital.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
I believe that the Turnigy 9025's are analog. There's no reason why you can't use them whether they're analog or digital.
Very well then, 22ms framerate it is. Thanks once again for the response. In this case, I will try the second HXT on the tail just temporarily, place an order for an Emax servo, also anybody used a "corona 919mg" servo before ? Any thoughts? Putting them on cyclic, would it be a good idea? If so, then that's a package to arrive too.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
So, the first spin up with a "working" gyro is a success, however no lift off just yet. Spektrum TX users: is it normal to have the delay very close to 0, but the TX's gyro setting is -70?
OFF: correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "head-lock" mean "heading-lock"? So the tail servo locks into the position it was last commanded to? In which case I understand that the "rate" is supposed to mean that it will lock the tail in a general direction(0drift).
ON: tomorrow I will adjust the tail rod, so I don't need to trim the rudder, then I might be able to lift off. BTW, the helicopter feels extremely sensitive to my inputs, I was just sliding around with it yet it almost tipped over. (swashplate needs some adjustments too). Should I try to get used to it as the 250 will be always very agile? Or can I play around with the dual rates to scale down the cyclic sensitivity?
Last edited by zotya0919; Nov 25, 2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I keep forgetting what I want to ask....
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
Good evening, status updates
1.) Somewhat successfully calibrated the tail, however @-62% rate it drifts both directions, I don't know how it decides yet.
2.) First hover 1ft off the ground in a small backyard is a success, however the tail got me out of my confidence, had to land. My pitch is way out of where it should be, pitch gauge on the way.
3.) Swashplate also miscalibrated, waiting for the leveler, will have to sort the servo arms out too.
Should I trust my subtrim to level the arms or should I stay with the manual way?
Also is there any known ways to look for experienced pilots in my area? Or should I just try to post messages to different forums, hoping for luck?
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
United Kingdom, Ipswich
Joined Oct 2013
45 Posts
Quote:
Zotya,

will they be ok on the swash ? looking for cheap lighter replacements for my HKSCM9-6 ....really need to trim some weight off this pig !
Ascension is offline Find More Posts by Ascension
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2013
19 Posts
About the emax I couldn't tell anything just yet, I ordered 4 of them to pop 3 on the cyclic and one on the tail. Tail most possibly will stay, I trust " Pa flyer" on it.
For my set, the turnigys: they are very decent, 3 each, seems reliable for me, maybe a bit faster then what I would need as a beginner.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
United Kingdom, Ipswich
Joined Oct 2013
45 Posts
looking at the measurements u may need to get a bit creative with the mounting holes and fitted all round i stand to lose about 20 grams just on servo's
someone please tell me its gonna work
Ascension is offline Find More Posts by Ascension