SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

5 Favorite Features of the Jeti DS-14 Radio

I've known ZB from Esprit Model for a long time from shows like Toledo, SEFF, and Joe Nall. The last couple of years, everytime I see him, he's talking to someone about the Jeti Duplex radio system...

Splash

Jeti Duplex Radio System

I've known ZB from Esprit Model for a long time from shows like Toledo, SEFF, and Joe Nall. The last couple of years, everytime I see him, he's talking to someone about the Jeti Duplex radio system. I knew of the radios and that they were supposed to be extremely nice both in quality and functionality. The DS-16 was fairly pricey and I didn't "need" a new radio so I didn't pay it much attention. This year at SEFF, ZB and I were chatting on the flight line after I ran a battery flat and he was telling me about how the Jeti system can measure the battery capacity and warn you when you need to land. It's more accurate than a timer and is just one feature of many. I told him that sounded awesome and that I would love to have one someday. The next thing I know, he hands me a box and I was giddy all the way home with a brand new DS-14 Jeti radio. I've had a week to play with it and I've setup a Snipe DLG and the Hacker Powered Paraglider. It's truly been a pleasant experience to use and I wanted to share 5 of my favorite things about the Jeti Radio so far.

Switches

Using switches on the Jeti radio is awesome. They are quality switches and click in place solidly giving you confidence in them, but that is just the beginning. You can move any switch to any location, replace switches with a different type, and assign them to any function you like. You have complete flexibility, and for me, being a lefty with a DLG, I can put a momentary switch on the right side for my launch preset. It can be a short or long switch, 2 position or 3, or even a push button.

Telemetry

This is one of the main reasons I wanted a Jeti radio. I really wanted to know how high I was launching my Snipe so I could work on my technique and see when I was making progress. You not only get telemetry with the DS-14, but you can do so much with that data. You can program alarms, or functions based on the telemetry. You can setup automatic retracts when you reach 15 feet, or trigger a warning when you used a certain amount of capacity on your battery. It even does logic, so you can set it up to lower the retracts if you are below a certain altitude and below a certain speed. It's truly amazing what you can do. So far, I've used the MAlti EX telemetry module on my Snipe to measure my altitude above the ground. That module is so small and light that it fits inside the very tight space of the Snipe and hardly adds any weight, in fact, all up, the snipe comes in at under 8.5 ounces. I've also got a Current/Voltage Module in my paraglider so I can monitor the current, voltage, and capacity used on my battery while I'm flying and trigger an audio alarm to sound when I reach a certain voltage or capacity used. No more dead batteries!

Accelerometer

Now this is really cool. You can move the radio in tilt, roll, or yaw. I mean literally move the radio, not the sticks. It can be used for anything, even to operate your control surfaces and fly from just moving the radio. Pretty cool. How I'm using it right now is on my Snipe, I can tilt the radio and it will announce my current altitude using the telemetry data. It's been great, I can launch and at the top I just tilt the radio and I know how high I am. I've heard of other guys using the accelerometers on a turbine jet to operate the wheel brakes. Once they touch down, they just tilt the radio back to apply the brakes. It's natural feeling and adjustable. I'm sure I'll be figuring out other uses for it in the future, it is just my first week with the radio after all.

User Interface

I watched a few videos online to get the basics and skimmed through the massive manual, but when it came down to setting up my first two aircraft I just dove in and started working. Both models I programmed are not typical setups so it gave me a good idea on how to do things that aren't standard. On the Snipe I wanted a launch preset, several flight modes with different amounts of reflex or camber, and full flaps for airbrakes. It didn't take me long to set all that up and I never needed to go to the manual to figure things out. The interface is mostly intuitive and having the ability to assign anything to anything really makes it easy.

Next I setup my Hacker Paraglider. This is a very unusual model with the control arms controlling the brake lines to pull the trailing edge of the wing down for turns and to flare for landing. It's similar to an elevon mix, but slightly different as the neutral position is full up and should not be extend any higher. This was easy to solve using the Servo Setup menu on the radio to adjust the max limits on the servos. It was just easy and actually quite fun. The control wheel works great too. So far I am really enjoying the interface.

Custom Audio

This is a fun one. The radio comes with loads of audio alerts and sounds and even voices that you can use for alarms, telemetry readouts, or anything you want. You can play music to fly to using the speaker or use a pair of headphones for private use. You can even record custom audio on your computer and load it into the radio. Power on the radio and it says "Hello Jason" or "You turn me on" or have it play the Top Gun theme song. I'm planning on recording a whole slew of custom audio to load into my radio. It gives some personality and personalization to your radio as well as great functionality.

Wrap Up

I've still got a lot to learn and to reprogram my brain from older programming systems, but I'm stoked about the nearly limitless options the Jeti radio provides me. That's one key take away this week has shown me, you can pretty much do anything you want with this radio. If you've got a Jeti radio, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and any tips or tricks you've learned along the way. Hit the reply button below and share away.

Old May 01, 2015, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by mannyr
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Nice report Jaso...See you at Nall.

Manny
mannyr is offline Find More Posts by mannyr
Old May 01, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by bsbauman
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,551 Posts
Well that about butters my biscuit... had no idea it plays games too!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
espritmodel.com
Joined May 2010
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Are you finally ready to join us? We even got RcGroups guys on board.

Well done Jason.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,423 Posts
I'd like to know more about Glider specific functions and setup? I've looked at a manual briefly and noticed they only list Helicopters and Airplanes. Does this system also have presets for:

4 or 6 servo wings
electric gliders
butterfly/crow

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old May 01, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Hussle
Joined Apr 2015
12 Posts
Jeti has a series of articles on sailplane setup:
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/DC-16-am...up-of-a-Model/
Further setup for flight modes etc. can be found on links to the other articles in the series at the bottom of the page.

Looks a great radio, especially the accelerometer. Love my dx9, but I'm so jealous of the jeti radios after this article.

Hussle
Hussle is offline Find More Posts by Hussle
Old May 01, 2015, 07:50 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussle View Post
Jeti has a series of articles on sailplane setup:
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/DC-16-am...up-of-a-Model/
Further setup for flight modes etc. can be found on links to the other articles in the series at the bottom of the page.

Looks a great radio, especially the accelerometer. Love my dx9, but I'm so jealous of the jeti radios after this article.

Hussle
Great, thanks for the link. I've heard the radio can do everything you can dream up. That's great and all but I'd like a good baseline to start with.

Thanks again for the link,
Jim
Old May 02, 2015, 02:34 AM
Find More Posts by bsbauman
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Are you finally ready to join us? We even got RcGroups guys on board.

Well done Jason.

Zb/Esprit Model
I have essentially made my decision
I have movers coming in the morning and expect to make the jump once I get the new shop set up... it can't come soon enough!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
I'd like to know more about Glider specific functions and setup? I've looked at a manual briefly and noticed they only list Helicopters and Airplanes. Does this system also have presets for:

4 or 6 servo wings
electric gliders
butterfly/crow

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, it doesn't have a specific "glider" model type, but it does let you specify the number of wing servos when setting up the model initially (4- or 6-servo wings are easily handled) and has a dedicated mix for butterfly braking. To do the full range of mixes you'd normally expect on this sort of glider (snap flap, ail to flap coupling, camber adjustments etc) does require using free mixes, but they are quick and simple to set up.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old May 02, 2015, 06:56 PM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Don't forget the special screen animation the radio displays in December!
The radio is amazing, but the support provided by Jeti and Espritmodel is second to none in RC.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2015, 09:54 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Jim, it doesn't have a specific "glider" model type, but it does let you specify the number of wing servos when setting up the model initially (4- or 6-servo wings are easily handled) and has a dedicated mix for butterfly braking. To do the full range of mixes you'd normally expect on this sort of glider (snap flap, ail to flap coupling, camber adjustments etc) does require using free mixes, but they are quick and simple to set up.
My biggest concern is the flight modes; are each mode trims separate or combined and can you change the names of the flight modes?

Jim
Old May 02, 2015, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,252 Posts
Flight modes are one of the best features of the DS16. Just about everything can be made flight-mode-specific (trims, curves, mix values etc etc), modes can be renamed, and you can assign priorities to modes to control which mode is active depending on multiple switch states. Oh, and you can have audio announcements when you change mode also.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old May 02, 2015, 10:09 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Flight modes are one of the best features of the DS16. Just about everything can be made flight-mode-specific (trims, curves, mix values etc etc), modes can be renamed, and you can assign priorities to modes to control which mode is active depending on multiple switch states. Oh, and you can have audio announcements when you change mode also.
PERFECT!

Now if I could only figure out who sells these incredible radios?????
Old May 03, 2015, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by Hussle
Joined Apr 2015
12 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure my dx9 can do all that as well. It's certainly not as flexible as the Jeti when it comes to voice programming if you want to record your own sounds, but for less than half the price, it can do all the flight mode stuff you say about the Jeti.

Having said that, it doesn't stop me wanting the Jeti, it's just so pretty (Available from esprit model: http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...systems-2.aspx)
Just something to think about...

Hussle
Hussle is offline Find More Posts by Hussle
Old May 03, 2015, 04:20 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
My biggest concern is the flight modes; are each mode trims separate or combined and can you change the names of the flight modes?

Jim
http://file.espritmodel.com/advert/R...S-16-Part2.pdf

If you are considering the radio, I would highly recommend reading this 2 part article.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member