Old Jun 28, 2015, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by deadbird
Crashing with style
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
422 Posts
Build Log
Bluetooth controlled 12" SE-5a

Now awaiting for parts and building materials for the Whirlwind I thought I'd resurect a project I'd started a little while ago which I thought wouldnt take too long to complete.

At the height of developing the Microaces Smartphone controlled aircraft last year I explored building a mini biplane that would be very easy to fly, stable and require a lot less space than the Spit & 109.

I had also admired the work that speedy01, mtflyr and jingjingjing (to mention but a few) have done with their beautiful WWI creations and wanted to produce a fully 3 dimensional fused aircraft. The SE5a, being boxy, lends itself to an easy build and has a reasonably long nose so you dont need to cram everything up front to hit the CoG.

Now I got as far as cutting evereything out and tacking it together for some glide testing - no electronics, just a basic airframe. It was to show to the electronics manufacturers to let them know where we could take their product when we initially met with them.

After the bad news at the beginning of this year that we couldnt progress this product line, the model just stayed on the shelf gathering dust.

Recently GDBot started a thread that related to the Bluetooth system that's used in some of the PowerUp toys, which is essentially the electronics used in the aircraft we developed. And that got me thinking again as I have some of the electronics left and it would be great fun to get the SE5a flying using my iPhone. (It does get some attention when people see you flailing your phone about in the air at a tiny flying object).

So I stripped the model down and have started work on building it back up again.

I've installed a 7mm motor with gearbox. (I could probably get away with a 6mm but its what I had in the box).

The use of polypropylene has been put into the mix too. Its used for the undercarriage, struts and connects the forwrd firewall to the first bulkhead.

I weighed everything (apart from wheels and prop) and it comes in under 20g so i'm hopeful it should fly quite well once complete as the model seems to have a large wing area.

The control will come from the bluetooth unit and will be throttle and rudder only.

If it works well I may well try printing onto the 1mm Depron covering using a skin from RoF or some other sim.
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by funwithplanes
perplexed genius
United States, PA, Fairfield
Joined Dec 2014
197 Posts
looking forward to seeing this completed
funwithplanes is offline Find More Posts by funwithplanes
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by ali_jaffar
Joined Feb 2015
12 Posts
Looks nice man, have a parts list? Theoretical flight time?
ali_jaffar is offline Find More Posts by ali_jaffar
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:08 AM
Crashing with style
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
422 Posts
Got about 8 - 12 mins from the spitfire & 109 using the 110mAh cell. This model is a bit bigger, heavier and draggier (is that a word?) though so I'd be happy with 5-7 mins. Parts list? - make it up as I go along depending what I can find in 'the box'!

The only thing I think I might need to buy in is a good 3-3.5" prop. I've got some GWS stuff but its all a bit too chunky for this scale.

Wheels made - they add 400mg. tyres are made from squishy neoprene which can be bought in various extruded diameters, right down to 1mm. this is 3mm stuff.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,590 Posts
That's looking real good, I too saw the GBot site and thought of what you did and looked almost the same thing. Great idea you have there. I'm happy you haven't totally abandoned your love for RC planes. Hope to see it up and flying.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:26 PM
Crashing with style
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
I'm happy you haven't totally abandoned your love for RC planes. Hope to see it up and flying.
In a way the closing of Microaces has released me a little to do what I want without having to try and monetize it.

Now here's a question: found a few 130mm props in the box. I've cut one down & balanced - it looks just the ticket, but it has a 1.5mm bore and the shaft on the gearbox is 1mm. Any thoughts on how to get the prop mounted?????

Here's a few more pics of the progress...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by ruzam
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Now here's a question: found a few 130mm props in the box. I've cut one down & balanced - it looks just the ticket, but it has a 1.5mm bore and the shaft on the gearbox is 1mm. Any thoughts on how to get the prop mounted?????
Dip the prop shaft in something suitable that will leave it coated with an even layer (ie paint or thinned glue).
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jun 29, 2015, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
United Kingdom, Greenham
Joined Nov 2000
6,425 Posts
I use 1.2mm heat shrink. Shrink it onto the axle then hold it near the motor housing with needle nose pliers and pull on the other end while the heat shrink is still hot. This should thin it enough that you can mount the prop. You could always ream the bore in the prop to make it a bit bigger.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by I R Irv
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,981 Posts
I've had good luck with wire insulation.
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 29, 2015, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,104 Posts
Wow! Very, very cool as usual. Keep it going,

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:30 AM
Crashing with style
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
422 Posts
Well, managed to get this far. Everything seems to be working. I find actuators soooo fiddly to work with as those wires are so delicate and I have my moments of not being so delicate!

Thank you all who suggested prop fitting. I've tried the coating method - using ZAP GOO as it happened to be in my line of sight when reading the replies. Seems to be holding well so far

It'll only take a half hour or so to finish off putting the top wing on and ensuring everything is as lined up and symetrical as possible. Then the maiden!

But now it's down tools and off for the rest of the week for a trek around some of the rugged coastline of Cornwall so wont be finishing off until next week.

Jon
Old Jun 30, 2015, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by funwithplanes
perplexed genius
United States, PA, Fairfield
Joined Dec 2014
197 Posts
quick buy a cheap chuck glider and convert it to rc there's some monster lift!
funwithplanes is offline Find More Posts by funwithplanes
Old Jun 30, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by airbagit13
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,597 Posts
Very cool project!
airbagit13 is online now Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by poulsbobill
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,262 Posts
I wanna see it fly!! Very Nice.

Reminds me of some project i started it all with. Some Old guy Used to post here. lol
my version of his plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...50#post3506004
Bill
poulsbobill is online now Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Jul 05, 2015, 05:01 AM
Crashing with style
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
422 Posts
Amazing coastline down in Cornwall and a great deal more rugged to walk than I had anticipated. Took 9hrs to cover 15 miles on our first day! Have calves the size of footballs now!

Got back yesterday afternoon and managed to finish off the SE5a (part 1) in the evening.

Now charged & ready to fly I'm hoping for some calm weather this evening.

Update: wing load calculates out at 2.14 oz/sq ft
Last edited by deadbird; Jul 05, 2015 at 05:33 AM.