Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:44 AM
Find More Posts by ScorpioFIN
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
Mini-Review
Mini-review WLToys V911-1 (green) with updated transmitter

So, I'm an absolute helicopter novice, but I thought I'd still write a few words about this one. I apologize for my inexperience and I'll gladly take any advice about how to make a proper review.

Anyway, this spring I bought a V911 for my 9 year old daughter as a birthday present. It was such fun to fly that as soon as I noticed the green V911-1 at Banggood I decided to get one, as it was sold with the same TX as the V912 which is said to be quite good. The one I ordered was this:

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-...n-p-74078.html

The parcel arrived last friday, retail box wrapped in thin foam and the yellow tape we are so familiar with (someone must be making a lot of money selling that tape to Banggood...). The box was in perfect shape, no complaints on that department.

The contents were as expected; the copter, TX, two batteries and an extra set of blades (main and tail). The TX is quite a bit bigger than the earlier V911's, nicely shaped and has a surprisingly solid feel of quality for its price. The sticks have decent travel and don't feel "rubbery" or sloppy at all. The throttle has a "ratchety" feel, there are tiny notches along the travel. I think that's actually a plus for an inexperienced flyer, since it helps a bit to hold the throttle steady when using rudder and overall throttle control is a little easier. Those notches are so close together that there really is no problem with getting just the right amount of throttle.

The copter itself flies almost perfectly out-of-the-box. Really didn't need much trim at all, just a couple of clicks here and there and I could give it to my daughter right away.

She hovered it beautifully in just couple of seconds and immediately said that the TX is so much better and it makes the handling so much easier that the flying got a lot more fun for her. Then she started to make banked turns...

After the first lipo, as we gave the bird time to cool (although the tail motor was not very hot), we inspected the heli more closely.

I was in the impression that the V911-1 would come with the fisheye swashplate. Well, it doesn't. In fact, it seems exactly the same as the previous V911, just different colour scheme. A bit of a disappointment, but clearly there is something different about it, since despite the lack of fisheye swash, it just flies better. Maybe some changes in materials or quality control, because it definitely vibrates less, flies more steady and feels faster.

Faster? Yes, not much, but a bit. That is, after you move the links to the outer balls of the swashplate, since for some reason this version comes with them connected to the inner, shorter ones. Not sure why, but I noticed the same in my other V911-1 (BNF), which arrived soon after this one.

Verdict:

+It's still a V911 and fun to fly
+Handles and feels a bit better than previous model, not sure why
+Overall feel of quality is a bit better
+Feels a bit faster, again not sure why
-Still does not have the fisheye swash
-Really no noticeable changes other than colour (which I like, by the way)

The linkages connected to the inner balls of the swash really is not a minus or a plus. It just makes the heli quite a bit less agile, which can actually be a good thing for an absolute beginner. Easy to fix, takes five seconds and the agility is restored.

An excellent helicopter, and the transmitter is worth the price alone is my opinion. So, if you're thinkin of getting yourself a V911 (or an enjoyable micro heli in general), pick this one instead of the old version.

EDIT: Here's Elisa flying a bit. She said it was way more easy to control with the new TX than her own orange/black V911 with its old style TX. Darn lamp jumped in the way at the end.

Elisa flying the V911-1 (1 min 22 sec)
ScorpioFIN is offline Find More Posts by ScorpioFIN
Last edited by ScorpioFIN; Aug 27, 2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Video
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
818 Posts
Been waiting for a review on this model - thanks for posting.

Must confess my V911s are not flying as often as they used to be - cp and quads have taken over. Still have a huge respect for the V911 :-)
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
Glad you liked it. Our V911s (and one V912) are on daily use, but then again me and my daughter have only been into this hobby for about two and a half months, so there are many helis to come. No doubt CP a some point, maybe a quad. The neverending story has started.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioFIN View Post
Glad you liked it. Our V911s (and one V912) are on daily use, but then again me and my daughter have only been into this hobby for about two and a half months, so there are many helis to come. No doubt CP a some point, maybe a quad. The neverending story has started.
Lol welcome to your new addiction!

I have 3 V911's, 2 V912, a V949, a V922, a V262, a V252, 2 Udi 816a, a Trex450 clone. Also have a Hisky FBL70 on the way and about to order a Walkera Master CP :-) that's since Feb this year lol
Zaphod69 is online now Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:12 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
Well, at least we won't run out of toys to buy. I think my next will be the V944.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by Tumppi T
Registered Crasher
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69 View Post
Lol welcome to your new addiction!

I have 3 V911's, 2 V912, a V949, a V922, a V262, a V252, 2 Udi 816a, a Trex450 clone. Also have a Hisky FBL70 on the way and about to order a Walkera Master CP :-) that's since Feb this year lol
Agree... This hobby is addictive

Syma 107, Syma 006, couple of V911:s, Full BL DH9104, VCTRC T-Rex 450 pro clone ....
Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by IanPellant
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
277 Posts
How large, or small is the new transmitter?

The original is so tiny, I could never use the right stick properly - too cramped... so I upgraded to a Turnigy 9X.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:01 AM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
The TX is in between those, not much smaller than the 9X, which I also have. Fits quite nicely in my not-exactly-small hands.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
277 Posts
Quote:
The TX is in between those, not much smaller than the 9X, which I also have. Fits quite nicely in my not-exactly-small hands.
That's good. The tiny transmitter was my biggest problem with the original V911. I just can't get quick and precise thumb control of elevator/aileron on it.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:10 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
Most of the people found the over-sensitive rudder the most annoying thing with the original TX. Well, with this one, both are fixed.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by jason4207
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
I used variable resistors to tame the rudder, and some cut pieces of BIC pens to extend the sticks. Made the original Tx pretty decent, but this does look much better.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2013
277 Posts
Quote:
Most of the people found the over-sensitive rudder the most annoying thing with the original TX. Well, with this one, both are fixed.
Yep... I'd forgotten that... been using the Turnigy 9X transmitter for so long now. Also adjusted the throttle rates to soften the drop when pulling back on the stick.

Dare I ask:
Is the new transmitter in any way programmable for throw rates ?

Can it be changed from Mode 1 to Mode 2 (throttle from right to left sticks / channel assignment) ?

Please could you provide some close up pics of the transmitter?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
362 Posts
Mode 1 and 2 are switchable, mechanical switch. I'll try and have time to post a photo or two. But the TX is exactly the same as with V912.

No programmability that I know of.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by rontech420
no borken corters allowed here
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jul 2013
183 Posts
Tx is identical to my v913 tx. I have been using it for my v911 since I do not like the original tx. I have to say, the 913 tx is sooo much smoother and has a better feel to it, hence more control and it has a mechanical mode switch right above the power switch. Now there's a brilliant piece of engineering. To switch from mode 1 to 2 just flip the switch and it changes the throttle to the left stick and elevator and aileron to right stick, no opening the radio and messing with the springs. I think it has more range also. However I wish it had programmable rates for everything like my f45 tx does. Now I just gotta wait for my new green bnf v911 to arrive on the slow boat...
rontech420 is offline Find More Posts by rontech420
Old Oct 08, 2013, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Trust me I'm an engineer!
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
189 Posts
How can I bind this to my DX6i?
Gilbert Griffith is offline Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith