SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
I bought some aluminum guns from VQ Warbirds. They look really good. Here are some shots of the air intake, and guns installed in the wing. I will also be installing guns in the cowl as well.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Power plant and nose retract

The other day, we were able to get the DA-50 mounted with minimal customization. The nose gear steering is still being setup, but the retract mounts have been built and adjusted.

Moving right along....
Old Feb 17, 2015, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by scoobiemario
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
You're doing exactly what I was going to propose for main gear door. I'm gonna do it same way for my 47. Here's a picture. I think that's from Meister 47 plan
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeb7944 View Post
The other day, we were able to get the DA-50 mounted with minimal customization. The nose gear steering is still being setup, but the retract mounts have been built and adjusted.

Moving right along....
There is a good chance I might acquire P39 this weekend. I see you're getting DA50 in yours. I was thinking the same, since I already have it.
What do you have to modify to make it fit?
Also, it looks like a lot of cylinder will be hanging down. Can you take picture from the side , with cowl in place, or in proximity?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
Also, are these retracts ESM electric? Or Air?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
430 Posts
Those are Sierra Giant air retracts. Only ones worth the money, IMHO. Dweeb: nice job reinforcing the mounts and the firewall. TIGHT fit! Make sure the firewall is sealed, and that you put a very tiny scoop on the bottom of the cowl. Otherwise, if any air gets past your nose gear doors, it will pressureize the nose gear well and stop any flow thru the firewall. (Learned that from some other guys with 50s in the ESM Kobra.)

I used ball and socket for the nose steer tiller. Couple pics to give you the idea. Servo was in the wheel well, above the tire. Ran it on a separate channel so it could be precisely adjusted to keep that steering tang centered in the groove.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Last edited by Bob Hunt; Mar 20, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:03 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
There is a good chance I might acquire P39 this weekend. I see you're getting DA50 in yours. I was thinking the same, since I already have it.
What do you have to modify to make it fit?
Also, it looks like a lot of cylinder will be hanging down. Can you take picture from the side , with cowl in place, or in proximity?
The DA50 sticks out of the cowl about 1/4 of an inch too far. so the choices are to either add 1/4 to the end of the cowl, or move the cowl forward by 1/4, which will leave a gap between the body and the cowl. This would have to also be filled in to make it look right.

We haven't cut the new cowl yet, but I have the old cowl that we are using as mock up. I trying to find which is the best muffler to use. When I get a chance, I'll take a few shots with the old one on to show you how much it will stick out. Gotta worn you, its going to stick out a lot. I'm okay with that though. Its worth it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:09 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
Those are Sierra Giant air retracts. Only ones worth the money, IMHO. Dweeb: nice job reinforcing the mounts and the firewall. TIGHT fit! Make sure the firewall is sealed, and that you put a very tiny scoop on the bottom of the cowl. Otherwise, if any air gets past your nose gear doors, it will pressureize the nose gear well and stop any flow thru the firewall. (Learned that from some other guys with 50s in the ESM Kobra.)

I used ball and socket for the nose steer tiller. Couple pics to give you the idea. Servo was in the wheel well, above the tire. Ran it on a separate channel so it could be precisely adjusted to keep that steering tang centered in the groove.
DA is calling for about 1 inch of clearance for the carb. We were planning on cutting a hole in the firewall for that. We weren't anticipating on any issues. Do you think that would try to force the air through and pressure the nose gear doors open? We were planning on using a wire under the gear to pull the doors closed behind it.

We sealed off the cockpit with balsa, so we should be good there.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:20 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Here are the latest photos. The nose gear is now mounted permanently, and the steering is setup with 440 pushrod. The throttle and choke pushrods are already in place too.

The nose gear steering will be on a slave channel to rudder as well. Easier adjustments.

A little material will need to be shaved off the top fin of the DA. The gap is thin now, but once the engine mounts get sucked into the firewall a little, it would touch.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
430 Posts
dweeb: what I was hearing (with all kinds of inverted engines) was that if you tried to run the engine cooling exhaust air through the firewall, and then thru the various formers and out either a scale exit or some fake exhaust stacks, that any air getting into the wheel well area would effectively block the cooling flow. (Due to the angle on the bottom of the fuse. Kinda acts like a scoop. When I did the cooling flow for my electric motor, I routed it above the wheel well where there would be no effect.)
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:15 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
scoobiemario , here are the shots of the cowl where we are adding on to extend the nose. This will be sanded and filled to line up nicely.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Engine/cowl

Here are some shots with the DA50, and how much engine will be outside of the cowl. This is the drawback for putting a 50 in, but hopefully, the more that hangs out the cooler the engine will be. Really hard to hide a large engine in a plane that who's whole concept was built around having a mid engine installation.

This is NOT the exhaust I'm using. I don't like the looks of it, so I'm going to try a Bennet muffler. Probably will be a bit louder, but there will be less of an eyesore. Will take new shots once the new one comes in.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:22 AM
Dweebster
Joined Sep 2008
713 Posts
Here are some shots of the nose gear door installation.