HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Jet engines solve some of those problems, if you need a long-range bomber without a runway.

or a way put out fires quickly:

or this one:

Nick I love the Beriev aircraft, and they use center sticks! Not these stupid yokes everybody seems to want. On the dash 8 when we are doing SE performance turns below 400' the yoke is blocking the view of the instruments. I really don't understand why we keep designing airplanes with yokes! The side sticks are a lot better, almost as good as center sticks.
When I first saw the Beriev 103, I said to myself that needs tip pontoons, well one landed in Miami and damaged a wing! I see it's for sale cheap on ebay...tempting but...I'll leave alone. it's payload is poor as its underpowered.
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
Last edited by captarmour; Aug 26, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Mike_o
Quote:
Off course I get to fly it before making a decision, but is there something I should pay particular attention to?
Fantastic Mike! I would be more of a partner in crime than an expert advisor and, as such, I'd say "go for it." I read somewhere that some of the early ones got into difficulties because they took off without the canopy firmly fastened.

Good luck!
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Capt Armour:
Quote:
Nick I love the Beriev aircraft,
Yes, I'm having a lot of fun with my model Beriev 103. The motors are not too far behind the CoG and I went for small ones with 2200Kv and 6 x 4 props. Our electric models are often unnecessarily overpowered, so with rear mounted motors it's always worth going for smaller and lighter. The structure of the pylons is critical. I used a sandwich of 1mm ply on each side of 6mm Depron.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,551 Posts
And as I look through my needed nacelle constructions, I find this fun memory!
rochester soaring groupe Canard comp. (2 min 23 sec)
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Capt Armour: Yes, I'm having a lot of fun with my model Beriev 103. The motors are not too far behind the CoG and I went for small ones with 2200Kv and 6 x 4 props. Our electric models are often unnecessarily overpowered, so with rear mounted motors it's always worth going for smaller and lighter. The structure of the pylons is critical. I used a sandwich of 1mm ply on each side of 6mm Depron.

Niiice Nick, do u have a thread for the Be103? Or some pics?
captarmour is offline Find More Posts by captarmour
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,980 Posts
Mike_o, take special note of any and all places where the builder deviated from the plans, or made modifications. Rutan thinks through his designs in extreme detail, but builders typically don't. The crash that killed John Denver was cause by a builder mod to the fuel selector valve.

Not surprising about the cockpit's roominess, Burt Rutan is a very tall guy. I would have needed a bunch of cushions in my VariEze cockpit.

Flying characteristics can have some quirks. Watch out for PIO on liftoff, the plane may have a tendency to leap off the ground, which can cause pilots to overcontrol. Make sure it has the new canard airfoil, the one that doesn't have funny deep stall characteristics after flying through rain. Rutan's newsletters are available online, I strongly suggest you read ALL of them before buying into this bird.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,661 Posts
Thanks Capt Armour, my Beriev build thread is here. As we know, the most efficient props are large and slow and in the front. But with waterplanes we have to compromise. Also if, like me, you want an all-terrain vehicle.
This Short EZ has given me and my dog a lot of fun. Nobody can deny that the Polaris is one of the most popular planes on RCGroups. With models we don't have as many constraints as people who actually get in their planes, luckily

Nick
Old Today, 02:19 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,401 Posts
captarmour, nickchud, don,

thanks. I'll probably get an inspection done, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find a qualified person for this over here. The plane has the revised canard and appears to be in a very good condition with only 300 hours on the engine.

A major concern is the LongEZ's reputed dislike for grass strips. I have a favourite destination (island of Anholt), which has only a short strip of grass.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o