HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Discussion
Anyone tried these new multistar batteries yet?

Has anyone had the chance to order and test these new multistar (longer flight time ) batteries for multirotors?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...utm_source=EDM
The price seems decent, the Mah is nice for the weight reduction, the physical size is a little smaller for the same Mah battery, but they state 10c/20c.
I am curious at 10c how long they will last?
Thank you for any info you may have.
donandtheresa is online now Find More Posts by donandtheresa
Last edited by donandtheresa; Jul 17, 2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Change title
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,038 Posts
I think those just came out in the last 24 hours so unlikely anyone has them yet. Good that HK is coming out with so many lipo options. IMO what they really need is a super premium battery in their line-up to compete with the high-quality established name brands.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
IMO what they really need is a super premium battery in their line-up to compete with the high-quality established name brands.
Surely that's the Nanotech A-spec, which they claim to out perform all other batteries.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:01 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Only 2C charge rate - no good for me!
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:06 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandtheresa View Post
I am curious at 10c how long they will last?
If you don't overdraw them and treat them right I actually expect they will last longer then a higher C rated battery. I've heard on several occasions from people that the previous generation low C rated lipos lasted longer then the high C rated current generation.

The 2C charge rate is a bummer but expected. How fast you can put in has always been tied to how fast you can pull out. It's gone up as C ratings have. Take the C rating down and down goes the charging rate too. But it's not like 2C is too painfully slow, heck of a lot better then 1C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
IMO what they really need is a super premium battery in their line-up to compete with the high-quality established name brands.
Just curious who do you consider the high-quality established name brands?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:06 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2013
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Only 2C charge rate - no good for me!
The 20c blue zippy batteries say the same but I haven't had a problem with 3-3.5c charge rates yet. Though perhaps 2c is a more honest rating for these lower discharge batteries.

I'd certainly be interested in buying one. My run times are already 8-10 minutes so an extra 30% capacity would get me longer run times and even less C rate demand that these batteries should easily handle.
I am just crossing my fingers that lower C rate doesn't mean lower quality.
Hopefully they make it into local warehouses quickly.
CerealKiller159 is offline Find More Posts by CerealKiller159
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:24 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
I wouldn't worry that lower C rate means lower quality. The whole point of the line is lower C rate means lower weight. Just look at the difference.

Turnigy Nanotech 4s4000 25C/50C - 433g
Turnigy 'Blue' 4s4000 20C/30C - 437g
Multistar 4s4000 10C/20C - 320g

Guessing it will be a good month before they make it to the USA warehouse though. But hey they are lighter so international shipping will be cheaper right?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
lol, not sure if the international shipping would be cheaper for a lipo. I will probably give it a try next time I order a battery. Maybe one more question. I have been doing a lot of reading on the c rating on RCgroups and few other forums. It seems to be the common thought that if it were a 5000 Mah with a 10c rating then it could handle 50 amp draws. Does this sound correct to you guys?
Thanks for your responses.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:02 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
Sorry I meant international shipping would be cheaper then it would be for a different battery of the same capacity. Obviously not cheaper then ordering domestically.

Yes that is how C ratings work in theory but not in practice. Lots of manufacturers inflate their numbers. A 30C from one brand may perform better then a 60C from another. And if for example if a 30C will handle the amps you will still get better punch from a 45C. The higher the C rating the less the voltage will sag under load. Then since your volts will be higher your power (watts) will be higher.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Surely that's the Nanotech A-spec, which they claim to out perform all other batteries.
Aspec are a lot better than anything else they sell, miles above regular nanotechs, but mine has puffed slightly after 30 cycles and a friends 6S 4000 has swelled quite badly. I would like to see better, and even more options in this top bracket.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:59 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller159 View Post
The 20c blue zippy batteries say the same but I haven't had a problem with 3-3.5c charge rates yet. Though perhaps 2c is a more honest rating for these lower discharge batteries.

I'd certainly be interested in buying one. My run times are already 8-10 minutes so an extra 30% capacity would get me longer run times and even less C rate demand that these batteries should easily handle.
I am just crossing my fingers that lower C rate doesn't mean lower quality.
Hopefully they make it into local warehouses quickly.
It's a tradeoff between charge rate and cycle life. You probably won't ruin a battery by charging it at a higher than spec rate but it will degrade more quickly. I usually charge my packs at 1-1.5C unless I'm in a hurry and then I go to 2C. Really though the decrease in life may be negligible if you figure that even 100 cycles is a LOT of flying assuming one has multiple packs and doesn't go out every day all year round.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:43 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
592 Posts
Might want to put the word Multistar in the title so this could become the Multistar thread. As it sits right now it's pretty vague and most people might skip over it.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Thank you Jimmy, did as suggested
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:48 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
I hope that they come out with a higher C version soon with a higher charge rate. 3C charge is the minimum that I would ever consider purchasing.

Also it's not in the US warehouse?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I hope that they come out with a higher C version soon with a higher charge rate. 3C charge is the minimum that I would ever consider purchasing.

Also it's not in the US warehouse?
The whole point of the line appears to be low C rating and low weight. If you want a higher C rating why wouldn't you simply buy other currently available batteries?

As for US warehouse I don't think I've ever seen HK announce a new product and actually have it in the US warehouse at the time of announcement. The remote warehouses have always lagged behind.