HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:38 AM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Discussion
Avro CF-100 in rough planning stage

Ok, this is a long way off and probably further off depending on what kind of answers I get from this thread, but I'm near enough that I'd like to float the idea and see how many holes I have in it.

For starters, I would like to have a flying CF-100. It's not the prettiest jet, but it's the only Canadian designed jet fighter to go into mass production and was used by both the RCAF and the Belgium air force. There are a rarity of available plans and while there are some large turbine powered aircraft that surface from time to time, there is nothing within my more modest funds and skills.

Recently I located an older free flight plan on outerzone.
www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3976

Being I have no experience in EDFs, the twin 64mm fans and the larger batteries are a bit daunting for me. So, I'm considering scaling this down about 50% and using 30mm fans. I'd use the plans more as a three view in ways, making the fuselage semi-profile and likely a simple KF styled airfoil on the wings to try to save some weight and reduce complexity of a build.

I do have some electronics as options for the small scale aircraft. Not saying I have to use the below, but I have them.
1x AR6400
2x CC Pixie 9Ps
1x simple Orange 4 channel RX

I would have to buy the fans and motors. One way or another I have a RX for the plane... but if I go for the Orange clearly I will need a couple of very small servos and I think the 5g servos I have in my shop are a bit large.

I'd much rather go small, light and low powered. I'm not looking for rocket speeds either. I'm content having to dive to loop.

Any recommendations, suggestions or corrections? Or am I crazy? I'd obviously prefer to do as little modifications as possible to make the fans spin as possible. Stock EDF units with plug in motors preferred.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:42 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=3976

This plan is free and looks pretty darn good to me for what you would want to do. Hope it helps!
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:39 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
This is right up your alley:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060009

Same basic size and shape and construction technique. I thought of doing a CF100 with this gear - might do one yet!

These 30mm EDF's are actually a really good way to cut your teeth on the dark and mysterious world of ducted fans. (it's really not that mysterious once you play around a bit!!!)

If I can help I certainly will
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:18 AM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Thank you Hepdog. I had been looking at the ultra micro fans and wondering if that would be a good start. Just wasn't sure they would be powerful enough. At 18" wingspan I'm looking at a slightly smaller plane than your 737, but I'll have to go through your thread carefully to try to replicate some of your techniques to bring the weight down further. I doubt I'll be as light or precise.

By the by, very nice job on the 737. I'm actually riding on a 737-200 on a regular basis these days, landing on a gravel runway in Northern Baffin island. Those long JT8Ds give it a unique look in the sky and allows it to get places where the modern 737s can't go.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson